Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Can I have your toys when you're gone?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Heya Worf -

Good to see you stepping back into the Home Theater maelstrom. Oh my, you're actually threatening to ... GULP ... go contemporary on us!? Say it ain't so!!!!

As far as HDMI goes, you definitely want to plan around it, since everything is moving in that direction. But, there are other options aside from buying a new receiver that you can implement in the interim.

As a short-term option, you could simply connect all of your video sources directly to the TV. Or if you don't want to buy multiple long cables, you could use a HDMI switch box to connect all of your HDMI components via one cable to the TV. Oppo Digital sells their HDMI switch for $99. Either option is cheaper than a new receiver. But, as Kex points out, one advantage of HDMI is that you eliminate the need for separate sets of audio and video cables. Of course, if you already have Toslink and/or coaxial cables in place, at least you have the option of reusing audio cables you already have.

http://www.oppodigital.com/hm31/

Of course, in order to fully benefit from the new audio formats used with Blu-ray, you'll need either an HDMI-enabled receiver OR a Blu-ray player with a built-in audio decoder and 6-channel analog audio output. Your current Onkyo already includes a multichannel analog input that you can use with a Blu-ray player. The drawback to using the analog inputs is that older receivers (like your Onkyo) typically bypass the bass management and time alignment functions with those analog inputs. And video players typically do not perform those functions as well as receivers do. In addition, the PS3 does not have any option for analog audio aside from two-channel.

Another option is to just stick with the standard DD and DTS output. All of the DTS tracks used on Blu-ray will downconvert to the full 1.5k bitrate DTS version that DVDs only sporadically use (most DVDs use a half-bitrate DTS track that cuts out half of the audio data). In addition, many Blu-ray discs use the 640k maximum bitrate with their Dolby Digital tracks, which delivers audio improvements over the 448k and 384k resolutions used with DVDs.

On the choice of TVs, the Panny and Pio plasmas are good options you should consider. Even though I remember that you and Pio have an illustriously documented history, their 1080p plasmas have the best color accuracy and contrast currently available. And their Elite lineup includes an ISF-calibration mode that allows you to fine tune a variety of video settings that require going into the service menus (and invalidate the warranty in the process) on other sets. The Pios though are expensive, and the newer Pannys offer up comparable video quality at a much lower price.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

grrrr....

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Romulians, Vulcans... same difference.
    "Stimpy, you fool, I'm going to hurt you so badly!!!!!"

"Of course you know this means WAR!!!!"

"It's on now B**ch!!!"

I figure with those three quotes you should be able to figure out your future plans plowboy.

Da "Damn it Jim I"m a Klingon not a Doctor" Worfster

Cool

Romulians, Vulcans... same difference.
    oh COME ON NOW.
    Romulans are the Spanish Vulcans, the vulcans are the Mexican vulcans.
    Dont you know ANYTHING?
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Hey Wooch!!!

Thanks for the love man. All you guys and your discussion of Plasma's have sent me back to looking at monitor's AGAIN!!!! LOL well at least it'll be an "informed" decision when I finally make one. Hope the Spring and early summer are treating you well.

Much love...

Da Worfster

Suspended
    Well, it's already in the upper 90's down here Worf, but I'm managing.

Of all the technologies I've looked at my personal choice would be a Pioneer plasma over all others. I have a 57" DLP though and I'm very happy with it. The cost of it was well within my means and since it was my first HDTV, I was just blown away by the picture quality.

Forum Regular
    BB and CC are not the greatest places to base your decision on.

I would go plasma before LCD, and definitely before DLP

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    The ONE good thing you can about BB and CC is that they allow you look at all the competing formats side by side. I ALMOST pulled the trigger on a Samsung 62-inch DLP. I loved the picture and the lightweight of the T.V. but its so big I'd have to get rid of my current rack and get something big enough to hold all my component AND the DLP itself. Decent HT furniture solutions cost more than the price of some DLPs, so I decided that 52 inchers would be just the right size. I'm still open for some suggestions though.

Da Worfster

Forum Regular
    Even the Pioneer 768 tvs are freakin awesome. The 5080 has a sick picture. Might be tough to find these days though.

I would look at the Pioneer 5010 or the 1150.

Dont listen to that moron Pix either, plasma is far from dead. He owns a hunk of crap Vizio, so obviously he has no clue about tvs.

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Heya Worf -

Good to see you stepping back into the Home Theater maelstrom. Oh my, you're actually threatening to ... GULP ... go contemporary on us!? Say it ain't so!!!!

As far as HDMI goes, you definitely want to plan around it, since everything is moving in that direction. But, there are other options aside from buying a new receiver that you can implement in the interim.

As a short-term option, you could simply connect all of your video sources directly to the TV. Or if you don't want to buy multiple long cables, you could use a HDMI switch box to connect all of your HDMI components via one cable to the TV. Oppo Digital sells their HDMI switch for $99. Either option is cheaper than a new receiver. But, as Kex points out, one advantage of HDMI is that you eliminate the need for separate sets of audio and video cables. Of course, if you already have Toslink and/or coaxial cables in place, at least you have the option of reusing audio cables you already have.

http://www.oppodigital.com/hm31/

Of course, in order to fully benefit from the new audio formats used with Blu-ray, you'll need either an HDMI-enabled receiver OR a Blu-ray player with a built-in audio decoder and 6-channel analog audio output. Your current Onkyo already includes a multichannel analog input that you can use with a Blu-ray player. The drawback to using the analog inputs is that older receivers (like your Onkyo) typically bypass the bass management and time alignment functions with those analog inputs. And video players typically do not perform those functions as well as receivers do. In addition, the PS3 does not have any option for analog audio aside from two-channel.

Another option is to just stick with the standard DD and DTS output. All of the DTS tracks used on Blu-ray will downconvert to the full 1.5k bitrate DTS version that DVDs only sporadically use (most DVDs use a half-bitrate DTS track that cuts out half of the audio data). In addition, many Blu-ray discs use the 640k maximum bitrate with their Dolby Digital tracks, which delivers audio improvements over the 448k and 384k resolutions used with DVDs.

On the choice of TVs, the Panny and Pio plasmas are good options you should consider. Even though I remember that you and Pio have an illustriously documented history, their 1080p plasmas have the best color accuracy and contrast currently available. And their Elite lineup includes an ISF-calibration mode that allows you to fine tune a variety of video settings that require going into the service menus (and invalidate the warranty in the process) on other sets. The Pios though are expensive, and the newer Pannys offer up comparable video quality at a much lower price.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Duds
    Even the Pioneer 768 tvs are freakin awesome. The 5080 has a sick picture. Might be tough to find these days though.

I would look at the Pioneer 5010 or the 1150.

Dont listen to that moron Pix either, plasma is far from dead. He owns a hunk of crap Vizio, so obviously he has no clue about tvs.
    Plasma is dead.
    As is DLP.
    But if you have big screen taste on a ipod budget, SAMSUNG has their LED dlp
    out, and while too little too late, it does solve two major DLP problems.
    First, NO COLOR WHEEL. (yayyy)
    And second, NO EXPENSIVE BULB TO REPLACE.
    Doesnt solve the third problem, tho, mainly that everybody wants a flat screen.
    People have even come to equate HD with FLAT.
    But for someone in the know, who prizes picture size and (relative) quality ,
    an DLP cant be beat.
    But better hurry, they will be extinct soon
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

I guess I'm the last living DLP fan. I bought the Samsung HL-T5687S RPTV. It's the 56 inch LED version. Reviews said it had a few problems, yep just like they said. The hot spot is not a problem if you're watching TV in an ordinary way.

I paid $1,200 for a refurbished model (IMHO this is a good way to buy any brand new technology, gives the manufacturer a chance to fix that last minute oops) Or pay $1,400 (discounted). I see it today at $999 with free shipping at Outlet electronics.

The set has a bright clear picture with no microdisplay segmentation, REDs any plasma would die for, predicted 60,000 hour life (try that with plasma) and far better GREENs than LCD I'm happy as a clam at high tide.

Viewing distance is a non issue, because there are no picture structure elements.

Mitsubishi will introduce a laser DLP this fall. I don't know if they really mean laser or if this is marketing speak for a LED set.
    Herman;

My stuff:
    Olive Musica/transport and server
    Mark Levinson No.360S D to A
    Passive pre (homemade; Shallco, Vishay, Cardas wire/connectors)
    Cardas Golden Presence IC
    Pass Labs X250
    Martin Logan ReQuests.

LOVE your Avatar....

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    Plasma is dead.
    As is DLP.
    an DLP cant be beat.
    Believe me I'll be making up my own mind on this. I was drawn to DLP for three reasons,

Price...

Size

Fits my room layout.

If Samsung made the new tech DLP's in a 54 or 52 inch model, I'd a bought one already but a 61 inch screen is just too friggen large for my living room. And the cost of furniture for a 60 inch DLP is prohibitive. While I understand what you're saying about old tech or semi-old tech, my current TV is 25 years old and I got it used, I'm a firm believer in "the lagging" edge.

Da Worfster

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by hermanv
    I guess I'm the last living DLP fan. I bought the Samsung HL-T5687S RPTV. It's the 56 inch LED version. Reviews said it had a few problems, yep just like they said. The hot spot is not a problem if you're watching TV in an ordinary way.
    I own a 57" Mitsubishi DLP and like I said I'm very happy with it. It's coming up on 15 months old now and is still as bright (in Natural mode) as day 1.
    The set has a bright clear picture with no microdisplay segmentation, REDs any plasma would die for, predicted 60,000 hour life (try that with plasma) and far better GREENs than LCD I'm happy as a clam at high tide.
    My set is lamp & wheel, but two co-workers have LED DLP's and I'd say they're right there with you during high tide hermanv.
    Mitsubishi will introduce a laser DLP this fall. I don't know if they really mean laser or if this is marketing speak for a LED set.
    I don't know all the details yet, but I'll report back if no one else has this answered. The VP of the DLP group has/had a presentation about the DLP's future and there will be movement in the medical industry for it going forward, that much I know.

Suspended
    Worf, my boss owns a 51" Samsung LED DLP and he's very happy with it.

As far as furniture, I bought that U-build-it stuff from O'Sullivan, it's not REAL furniture in my mind but it's not expensive either. Unfortunately as I just found out, O'Sullivan no longer exists but Sauder and Busch also manufacture this type of furniture, so you can always go that route. I have some pictures up in other threads...
    Acoustic Panel Issues

i got my "tv stand" from ikea. it's actually 2 pieces but you cant tell when they're pushed together. i think they're supposed to be bookshelves but it was the only thing i could find that would fit my center in the middle. i think i paid like $170 taxes in.

i wish i had a better pick with it pushed together and the TV pointing straight, but you get the idea

Home Theatre:
    50" Panasonic TH-50PZ77
    Denon AVR-3808CI
    B&W 603 S3
    B&W LCR600 S3
    Paradigm Cinema ADP v.3
    SVS PB12-NSD
    Xbox 360 250GB
    Playstation 3 60GB
    Explorer 8300HD PVR 320GB
    Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ 8TB
    Harmony One

2-Channel:
    Paradigm Studio 20 v.5
    NAD C320BEE
    NAD C521BEE

Forum Regular
    A Pioneer or Panny plasma will smoke any DLP out there.

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    Plasma is dead.
    As is DLP.
    an DLP cant be beat.

and most LCDs

Suspended

To each his own...

Let's not start this argument again, okay Duds? Try not to inject your emotions into the equation like some before you have done. Very unconstructive.

Gee, on price? No!
    Color accuracy? No!
    Life? No!
    Contrast ratio? Maybe a tie, edge to DLP.
    Resolution? A draw.
    Thinness? Plasma easily.
    Hot spot? Plasma, although the better older DLP sets didn't have this problem.

Unless of course you literally meant smoke, as in what will happen if you try and use any plasma above about 6,000 feet in altitude.
    Herman;

My stuff:
    Olive Musica/transport and server
    Mark Levinson No.360S D to A
    Passive pre (homemade; Shallco, Vishay, Cardas wire/connectors)
    Cardas Golden Presence IC
    Pass Labs X250
    Martin Logan ReQuests.

Forum Regular
    Ok Dad

Let's not start this argument again, okay Duds? Try not to inject your emotions into the equation like some before you have done. Very unconstructive.

Gee, on price? No!
    Color accuracy? No!
    Life? No!
    Contrast ratio? Maybe a tie, edge to DLP.
    Resolution? A draw.
    Thinness? Plasma easily.
    Hot spot? Plasma, although the better older DLP sets didn't have this problem.

Unless of course you literally meant smoke, as in what will happen if you try and use any plasma above about 6,000 feet in altitude.
    6000 feet?
    Note to self: Don't move to Denver.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Ok Dad
    He's more of a mom around here. Now be nice and go give your mom a kiss.

Suspended
    I'll smack the first male who tries to kiss me!

(Well, maybe not JM, but ANYBODY ELSE!!!)

I'll smack the first male who tries to kiss me!

(Well, maybe not JM, but ANYBODY ELSE!!!)
    Not even your favourite 'youngin''?

Suspended
    No exceptions!!!

ok ok..

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information