Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Resident DVD Reviewer
    "Hopefully all your speakers are set to small, 80 hz and all calibrated properly."

Absolutely yes, all speakers are set to small, subwoofer crossed over properly and calibrated correctly.

"My denon goes from + numbers to - numbers so 00 is my reference. Set your onkyo so 50 or 60 or even 70 as long as whatever number you choose, they all read 75db on your spl at your listening position. Now crank up T3 at reference level with NO SUB ON, (I now you like this tracks sound). Hopefully all your speakers are sounding loud and clear, if not either your speakers or your receiver is crapping out and you will have to decide which one. Lets assume the speakers and receiver are keeping up. With no sub on you might be thinking is this it, is this as good as my receiver will ever sound. Now add your sub to the mix at about 4 -7 db higher then the rest. Is it keeping up or is it mudding up the loud clear sound you had with your 5 speakers and receiver. I'm thinking that it may not be keeping up but lets just assume that it is, but barely. On all the low parts everything sounds good, but the loud demanding parts things may sound strained. When one thing in your system sounds strained, everything sounds strained. People always describe that you need lots of power to get the headroom (in your sound) you need so no parts in your system sound strained. The hardest most demanding piece in anyones system to achieve the headroom one needs is the subwoofer. It doesn't matter if you have a denon 1804 like I have or a denon 3805 or 4806, the sub will make or break your system. You add a quality more powerfull sub, you will get a more powerfull overall sound from your existing receiver and speakers as long as your receiver and speakers passed the first test, that they can play T3 loud and clear at reference level with no sub on. I'm rambling but I hope this helps. I sure hope you invest in a HSU or SVS or maybe even a Paradigm PW-2200 like I have, you will not regret it."

We'll I'll consider an SVS.......

JSE
    [QUOTE=Lexmark3200THESE are the kinds of things I wanted to know; thank you. So it seems normal that I need to watch DVDs ON AVERAGE from 45 to 50? I do no cable watching through this receiver, so its only DVD......but thank you for sharing this information with me.[/QUOTE]

To take it a step further, 50 on my receiver may produce a completely different SPL than 50 on your receiver. Your 50 may result in my ears bleeding and my 50 may be barely audible to you. It's just a number on a scale. That's why the actual number diplayed is arbitrary. There are many factors that can effect this. Room acoustics, speakers, sources, sound formats, processing, etc. Everyone's is different. That's why someone's answer to your questions really has zero bearing on your sound environment.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    To take it a step further, 50 on my receiver may produce a completely different SPL than 50 on your receiver. Your 50 may result in my ears bleeding and my 50 may be barely audible to you. It's just a number on a scale. That's why the actual number diplayed is arbitrary. There are many factors that can effect this. Room acoustics, speakers, sources, sound formats, processing, etc. Everyone's is different. That's why someone's answer to your questions really has zero bearing on your sound environment."

I UNDERSTAND this.....I just wanted to know if was "seemingly normal" to need to bring an Onkyo receiver --- ANY Onkyo receiver --- beyond the "50" mark to get some good sound out of it.....you know, I am not the ONLY one who discusses this issue; owners of the TX-SR600 and other models of its vintage, discuss this VOLUME DISPLAY ISSUE all the time on sites like cnet.com, where owners review their gear and such; I was just hoping someone in here would have more insight on whether or not this was normal, but I guess that is not going to happen.

Thank you for your time, as you see I speak with a civil tongue in my mouth.

Sincerely Yours.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexmark3200
    I just wanted to know if was "seemingly normal" to need to bring an Onkyo receiver --- ANY Onkyo receiver --- beyond the "50" mark to get some good sound out of it.....you know, I am not the ONLY one who discusses this issue; owners of the TX-SR600 and other models of its vintage, discuss this VOLUME DISPLAY ISSUE all the time on sites like cnet.com, where owners review their gear and such; I was just hoping someone in here would have more insight on whether or not this was normal, but I guess that is not going to happen.
    Thank you for your time, as you see I speak with a civil tongue in my mouth.
    Sincerely Yours.
    Along with ebay you can also try selling it on Audiogon.com. Another idea is to keep it in your bedroom as a secondary HT setup. Man, 50 is waaaaaay to high for any volume control to be. When I had an Onkyo my ears started bleeding at, anyway, you get the point.
    Wooch, Sir TT, etal are a part of a Northern California Conspiracy!
    Smokey, admit you are using your receiver as a prepro!!

JSE
    "I UNDERSTAND this....."

Actually, it's apparent from your questions and responses, you don't understand this. If you did, you would have no need to even ask the question or continue to dwell on it.

" I was just hoping someone in here would have more insight on whether or not this was normal, but I guess that is not going to happen."

I thought I did?

Resident DVD Reviewer
    "Actually, it's apparent from your questions and responses, you don't understand this. If you did, you would have no need to even ask the question or continue to dwell on it."

ACTUALLY, from your reply below, which is UNTRUE because you hadnt answered the question of where the volume display number should essentially BE for hitting room-filling sound, or, rather, my question directed STRICTLY toward Onkyo receiver owners and if they are getting the same "results" as me with their displays, you dont seem to be getting what Im asking......

"I thought I did?"

Nope.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by nick4433
    Along with ebay you can also try selling it on Audiogon.com. Another idea is to keep it in your bedroom as a secondary HT setup. Man, 50 is waaaaaay to high for any volume control to be. When I had an Onkyo my ears started bleeding at, anyway, you get the point.
    Nick, Im not selling my SR600, nor do I have a bedroom situation right now to warrant a HT setup.....but finish what you were saying please......when YOU had YOUR Onkyo, your ears started bleeding at a much lower volume than 50? This was the SR600?

Forum Regular
    Nick, Im not selling my SR600, nor do I have a bedroom situation right now to warrant a HT setup.....but finish what you were saying please......when YOU had YOUR Onkyo, your ears started bleeding at a much lower volume than 50? This was the SR600?
    OK Lex, I will give you some quality advise if you tell me how old you really are.

Forum Regular
    I am curious why folks are feeding the troll. Perhaps it is for entertainment. BTW my guess of his age is 13 to 15. I don't suppose he will ever admit it to his actual age so the point may be mute. I do admit I check in from time to time to see how the thread is going. It's kind of like watching a house on fire and you can't stop watching. I would not respond to any of his posts anymore because he seems incapable of processing good advice or appreciate all the time members of this forum have spent trying to help him.

IMHO, YMMV yadda yadda

Resident DVD Reviewer
    "OK Lex, I will give you some quality advise if you tell me how old you really are."

YOU are asking ME how old I am and YOU are spelling "advice" by typing out "ADVISE"?

LOL....LOL......

Resident DVD Reviewer
    "my guess of his age is 13 to 15"

You really think so, based on the language and sentence structure used in my DVD reviews? I AM FAR FROM 13 to 15 years old, buddy.....whether you want to believe that or not.....

"I don't suppose he will ever admit it to his actual age so the point may be mute. I do admit I check in from time to time to see how the thread is going. It's kind of like watching a house on fire and you can't stop watching. I would not respond to any of his posts anymore because he seems incapable of processing good advice or appreciate all the time members of this forum have spent trying to help him"

Another Nick with YET ANOTHER NUMBER ATTACHED TO HIS NAME? What are you guys, butt buddies or something? Come on, you can admit it Nicky........

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Enters the room, looks around, still see them throwing furniture, glass and babies and replies" where is the love!!!"...leaves shaking his head........
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Enters the room, looks around, still see them throwing furniture, glass and babies and replies" where is the love!!!"...leaves shaking his head........
    They are just cracking you up huh?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

My guess is Lex is 30-34 years old...defintely SINGLE....owns a cat....is lonely...and surfs multiple boards....begins dicussions....attempts to continue them....and does all this in his fruit-of-the-loom undies.

Am i close Lex?

JSE
    "ACTUALLY, from your reply below, which is UNTRUE because you hadnt answered the question of where the volume display number should essentially BE for hitting room-filling sound"

Yep, you have no clue. No one and I mean NO ONE can answer your question until they come to your mommy and daddy's house and actually turn the volume up themself. I really feel sorry for you now. I actually took the time to try and help thinking maybe since you have been bahaving since your recent return you might actually listen to the advise given to you. But no, you are still the same old TLADINY/Lexmark3200/John Baresford you used to be. Same person who can't deal with life around him so he finds happiness and a false sense of self worth by posting on this forum. It's really sad.

" or, rather, my question directed STRICTLY toward Onkyo receiver owners and if they are getting the same "results" as me with their displays, you dont seem to be getting what Im asking......

"I thought I did?"

Nope"

Actually I did get it and gave you a specific correct answer to your question. But by accepting my answer or even acknowledging it means you can't continue to troll for a conflict or that false sense of self worth I mentioned above. So, I'm done.

Go with Nick's advise. At least he did not get dupped by your old ways. Man, I'm getting soft. In the old days, I would have ripped you a new one from post #1. Well good news, I'm back, your still a liar (truth is a defense) and no one gives a crap about you, except for some newer members that have not gotten to "know you" yet. Like I said, give them time.

Have a nice day.

JSEeeeeeee!

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Opens door and peeks in again.....they have run out of furniture glass and babies and now are throwing food, and dishes. ducks, covers head, thumbs his nose at everyone and says..." I see there is no love in the house".."come on gentlemen, let's sing a verse and a chorus of Kum ba Ya"........
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Resident DVD Reviewer
    [QUOTE=Tarheel_]My guess is Lex is 30-34 years old...defintely SINGLE....owns a cat....is lonely...and surfs multiple boards....begins dicussions....attempts to continue them....and does all this in his fruit-of-the-loom undies.

Am i close Lex?[/QUOTE

Awwwwwwww.........whats the matter, Tar? My age now has your panties in some kind of bind because you're just a pussy behind a computer screen trying to disprove my writing abilities with this asinine statement you make above? Tisk tisk.....temper temper.....dont get mad because we all know you, the two "Nicks" (LOL) and JSE all take it up the ass, like I said to JSE before......dont be ashamed of, as Matt Damon would say, "putting from the ruff" and trying to cover that by attacking my age and marital status.....shame on you.....just admit you love smoking beef jerky with these other "dudes" that I mentioned, and we'll be all squared away.

LMFAO once again........LMFAO.........
    Last edited by Lexmark3200; 07-13-2005 at 09:34 AM.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    "Yep, you have no clue."

Because an ******* on an internet board LIKE YOU says so? Why is that?

"No one and I mean NO ONE can answer your question until they come to your mommy and daddy's house and actually turn the volume up themself. I really feel sorry for you now. I actually took the time to try and help thinking maybe since you have been bahaving since your recent return you might actually listen to the advise given to you. But no, you are still the same old TLADINY/Lexmark3200/John Baresford you used to be. Same person who can't deal with life around him so he finds happiness and a false sense of self worth by posting on this forum. It's really sad. "

What the **** are you TALKING about? If theres anyone who is sad, it is YOU and your buddies who come in here to simply chase away the new membership that arrives daily with your flaming of others and constant nonsesne like you post above; I feel sorry for YOU.

"Actually I did get it and gave you a specific correct answer to your question. But by accepting my answer or even acknowledging it means you can't continue to troll for a conflict or that false sense of self worth I mentioned above. So, I'm done."

THATS NOT WHY I ANSWERED IT.....and your continuing replies to me in this context PROVE TO ME AND EVERYONE ELSE THAT YOU ARE DOING THIS TO SIMPLY HARASS me --- and probably countless others; just LOOK at your replies and how you bait people in......and your buddy up there says that Im the one in my underwear behind a computer screen on internet boards?? And what of YOU guys? Surfing all day, harrasing those who dont live up to your "sarcastic standards"......be done all you want; I dont need to hear from you anyway.

"Go with Nick's advise. At least he did not get dupped by your old ways. Man, I'm getting soft. In the old days, I would have ripped you a new one from post #1."

Dude, you're ripping no one a new ass, believe me.....I'll go the distance no matter HOW far you wanna take it --- and I mean hand to hand combat if you wanna do that as well.....getting soft? Man, I can tell you ARE soft....in alot of ways.....

"Well good news, I'm back, your still a liar (truth is a defense) and no one gives a crap about you, except for some newer members that have not gotten to "know you" yet. Like I said, give them time. "

SO YOU DO ADMIT THAT PEOPLE JOIN THIS BOARD TO BE OVERTLY AGGRESSIVE AND HARASS PEOPLE ---- THATS I WANT KNOWN AND IN WRITING......the new members we are speaking of are, and I am guessing, far from massive dickheads like you and your friends in here.........you're back? Big deal.....I dont even know what that MEANS let anone GIVE A **** about that threat......Im a liar? Not even in your wildest childhood oriented fantasies, my friend.

"Have a nice day. "

Oh, now that I got that off my chest, I sure will.......you too, *******......

Forum Regular
    "OK Lex, I will give you some quality advise if you tell me how old you really are."

YOU are asking ME how old I am and YOU are spelling "advice" by typing out "ADVISE"?

LOL....LOL......
    Now now Lexmark, what is the matter with you? I have been on this board when you were still attending junior school. Now read the following very slowly.

advise, advice:
    'advise' is a verb - it describes something you do: I advise you to take care. 'Advice' is a noun - it describes a thing: My advice is, be careful. This also applies to the other -ise, -ice pairs, such as practise and practice; -ise means a verb, -ice a noun.

Ok, back to the matter at hand, the Onkyo. Have you put it up on ebay yet? Isn't the Onkyo 601 the same receiver that does not even have automatic speaker calibration? That makes that receiver a total piece of CRAP IMHO.
    Now be a man and take a hit if you have to on the Onkyo and buy yourself a real audio system for crying out loud. Buy the Denon 5804 or something!

Resident DVD Reviewer
    "Now now Lexmark, what is the matter with you? I have been on this board when you were still attending junior school."

THAT IS SIMPLY NOT TRUE.....you DONT know my age, so quit trying to guess.....

Now read the following very slowly.

advise, advice:
    'advise' is a verb - it describes something you do: I advise you to take care. 'Advice' is a noun - it describes a thing: My advice is, be careful. This also applies to the other -ise, -ice pairs, such as practise and practice; -ise means a verb, -ice a noun.

Right-----and you said "give me ADVISE" --- do you even realize that you used the word IN THE WRONG CONTEXT????? WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT???? YOU SHOULD HAVE TYPED "ADVICE" IN THE WAY YOU WANTED IT TO COME ACROSS.....DONT YOU UNDERSTAND THAT? Jesus Christ man, take some English courses, will you, and stop preaching to the choir......

"Ok, back to the matter at hand, the Onkyo. Have you put it up on ebay yet? Isn't the Onkyo 601 the same receiver that does not even have automatic speaker calibration? That makes that receiver a total piece of CRAP IMHO."

Your opinion is a total piece of crap because just because the receiver doesnt have auto speaker calibration its a piece of crap? Please give me some of whatever it is youre on so I can smoke it too.....and its not the 601, its the 600.....the 601 DID have auto speaker setup....

"Now be a man and take a hit if you have to on the Onkyo and buy yourself a real audio system for crying out loud. Buy the Denon 5804 or something!"

Now,I'll give you Denon because those are the only two receiver brands I would consider.....but Im just as much a man for choosing the Onkyo, thank you anyway.

JSE
    "Because an ******* on an internet board LIKE YOU says so? Why is that?"

No not me, you do a fine job of proving this on your own. Ha!

"What the **** are you TALKING about? If theres anyone who is sad, it is YOU and your buddies who come in here to simply chase away the new membership that arrives daily with your flaming of others and constant nonsesne like you post above; I feel sorry for YOU."

Me and my buddies? Ok, whatever. We chase away new members? Who and when? Please, show me.

"THATS NOT WHY I ANSWERED IT.....and your continuing replies to me in this context PROVE TO ME AND EVERYONE ELSE THAT YOU ARE DOING THIS TO SIMPLY HARASS me"

Harass you? I tried to help you. I gave you an correct, experienced answer and you still ignore it and anyone else who tries to help.

" --- and probably countless others; just LOOK at your replies and how you bait people in......"

Huh? Countless others? Who?

"Dude, you're ripping no one a new ass, believe me.....I'll go the distance no matter HOW far you wanna take it --- and I mean hand to hand combat if you wanna do that as well.....getting soft? Man, I can tell you ARE soft....in alot of ways....."

In my best nerdy voice....... "and I mean hand to hand combat". OK sparky, calm down there. Hmmm????? I see me holding one hand out holding your head while you swing away in hopes of landing a tap.

"SO YOU DO ADMIT THAT PEOPLE JOIN THIS BOARD TO BE OVERTLY AGGRESSIVE AND HARASS PEOPLE ---- THATS I WANT KNOWN AND IN WRITING......"

Another, Huh? I actually try to help people.

"Im a liar? Not even in your wildest childhood oriented fantasies, my friend."

Now now TLADINY, we all that's not true. And that, IS in writing. Liars always get caught up in the details. It continually gets harder and harder to keep it all straight. But you know that already don't you? Been trying to burn an LP's to CD lately? Ha!

Oh, now that I got that off my chest, I sure will.......you too, *******......

Always do.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Oh come on now, Mr. JSE.....you can admit it to me.....dont be afraid.......you, the two "Nicks" in here and Tarheel over there all take it up the ass in nightly orgies with each other.....come on.....its nothing to be ashamed of.....we all know anyway.....

LMFAO........LMFAO.........

JSE
    Oh come on now, Mr. JSE.....you can admit it to me.....dont be afraid.......you, the two "Nicks" in here and Tarheel over there all take it up the ass in nightly orgies with each other.....come on.....its nothing to be ashamed of.....we all know anyway.....

LMFAO........LMFAO.........
    WOW! Now that's class!

I have to admit, I have heard Tarheel is a looker? Nick4433, not so much.

JSE

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by JSE
    WOW! Now that's class!

I have to admit, I have heard Tarheel is a looker? Nick4433, not so much.

JSE

Oh yeah? Got your sources scoping out the lookers in that.....how do we say it....."other" population thats a bit light in the loafers?

Well, this numbered Dick --- I mean Nick ---- whoops, sorry, my fingers slipped (you must be used to that; fingers slipping that is) is not so much a looker, eh? Well, just throw a bag over his head like we all do with the broads we dont really like to look at while we're plowin em, right JSE?

LMFAO

JSE
    Oh yeah? Got your sources scoping out the lookers in that.....how do we say it....."other" population thats a bit light in the loafers?"
    You forgot to add the famous Seinfeld quote, "Not that there is anything wrong with that" after your statement. Man, I love that show.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information