Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by shodulik
    I totally agree Pixel. I find it even more amazing that so many adults on these forums still play video games lol. The fact that someone outside of elementary school would even consider using one for movies still blows my mind.

EDIT: sorry if this post sounds offensive lol but it's just weird to me.
    Why would it be weird? The market for video games is more than twice as big as the box office receipts for movie theaters. Elementary schoolers alone don't account for that magnitude of market activity.

As I stated in my post, people who use the PS3 to play Blu-ray discs are not encumbered by perception. The reality is that the PS3 remains a very high performance Blu-ray machine, with a lot of other functionality outside of video gaming. Just because it happens to be a gaming console is no reason to overlook its formidable Blu-ray performance.

I hardly play any games on my PS3. It use it primarily as a Blu-ray player, but I also use it as a wireless media player for streaming YouTube videos, and accessing the music and video files on my PCs.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shodulik
    I totally agree Pixel. I find it even more amazing that so many adults on these forums still play video games lol. The fact that someone outside of elementary school would even consider using one for movies still blows my mind.

EDIT: sorry if this post sounds offensive lol but it's just weird to me.
    Think about what you are doing Shodulik, you are agreeing with Pixel for goodness sake! He takes a small exposure to the PS3, and turns it into expert advice. Now that is big joke.

First, the PS3 is one of the best performing Blu ray players out there still. It is still one of the fastest loading, and best performing. Since it uses an all software solution for its processing, it is every function is easily upgradeable. One of the best kept secrets about it(I only learned this recently) is that during a couple of updates, the Dts decoder has been given the lastest decoding instructions which improves Dts decoding products performance. Try that with a stand alone Blu player with a SOC solution. Its upscaling algorithms have been upgraded(try that one with a stand alone as well), and the machine has the most accurate algorithms for Dolby TrueHD decoding - and all of this could be upgraded at any time, something that cannot be done with stand alone players. It will be 3D capable in another month of two. I have three of the phat boy PS3, and they make very good SACD players, and has some of the best upconverting algorithms for CD playback
    With a small investment in an external program(playon) I am able to watch programming available online, including Hulu(premium), comedy central, MLB network, NFL network(I can watch both baseball and football live and in HD) just to name a small few, and it gives me access to over 10,000 different programs, not to mention netflix and pandora. I also have access to thousands of online music stations. Since it is connected to my network, it can also access a library of over a 1000 DVD's stored on an raid array of 6TB external drives, and library that continues to grow as I store more of my DVD's onto the drives.

I can do all of this without getting up from my seat. Try that with the stand lones!

So it is not so weird when you actually see all the PS3 can do, and with the Cell processor only being used at about half its potential, this machine has quite a was to go in adding other features.

Personally I think it is weird that anyone would be so stuck on its gaming capabilities, when this thing can do so much more even if a person doesn't even play a game on it. I am just now getting into playing games, and I am finding that my hand/eye coordination is greatly improving because of it. It is also a stress buster.

Lastly consider this. Every post production house, encoding and compression house, every film studio in Hollywood uses the PS3 as a quality control machine to check Blu ray movies on. Here at Disney, they have about ten of them in the post production area. Because of this, PS3 owners have experienced the fewest playback issues when it comes to both DVD's and Blu rays.

I am sure it plays Dts CD as well, as it does have a Dts decoder built in, and it can play those disc and regular CD's at 44.1khz.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    I guess I'll try those DTS CD's again
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

Thanks to everyone who commented...

....even Pixel. But seriously, my concerns about the PS3 have been refuted and I'll certainly have to give it a serious look. I do have some DTS cds that I love to play to show off my awesome 7.1 audio system, so if it can play those, as well as performing a stellar job with Blu-Ray, I think I'll be buying one instead of the Oppo. My son, who is 27 and still likes to play video games (he's a PC freak by the way, so he's not playing checkers), will go bonkers with that and a 110" screen. He has his own place, but I'm betting he'll want to visit us more often.

You people are the best!
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    For those of you who are wondering how to play Dts CD on the PS3, you must set your sound settings to 44.1khz, and unclick 88.2 and 176.4 and they should play just fine. The default setting for the PS3 is 48khz, which does not allow 44.1khz sample rate Dts Cd's to play.

Don't forget to return the sound settings to being able to sample all formats after listening.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by eisforelectronic
    I use HDMI
    Should be no problem.
    A DTS CD has a DTS signal just like a DVD, should pass through an HDMI with no problem.
    YEP, my DIANA KRALL disc plays fine, sounds pretty good, as a matter of fact.
    Last edited by pixelthis; 09-09-2010 at 10:31 AM.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    Should be no problem.
    A DTS CD has a DTS signal just like a DVD, should pass through an HDMI with no problem.
    YEP, my DIANA KRALL disc plays fine, sounds pretty good, as a matter of fact.
    Then I need to find my Diana Krall DTS Cd! Ha ha!
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

I have the oppo bdp-83 and in my opinion there is know question which one is better for home theater, home audio, or any other use other than gaming. I love my oppo and will stand by it especially while using it as a transport for my ps audio dac.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Think about what you are doing Shodulik, you are agreeing with Pixel for goodness sake! He takes a small exposure to the PS3, and turns it into expert advice. Now that is big joke.
    the path to all knowledge

First, the PS3 is one of the best performing Blu ray players out there still. It is still one of the fastest loading, and best performing. Since it uses an all software solution for its processing, it is every function is easily upgradeable. One of the best kept secrets about it(I only learned this recently) is that during a couple of updates, the Dts decoder has been given the lastest decoding instructions which improves Dts decoding products performance. Try that with a stand alone Blu player with a SOC solution. Its upscaling algorithms have been upgraded(try that one with a stand alone as well), and the machine has the most accurate algorithms for Dolby TrueHD decoding - and all of this could be upgraded at any time, something that cannot be done with stand alone players. It will be 3D capable in another month of two. I have three of the phat boy PS3, and they make very good SACD players, and has some of the best upconverting algorithms for CD playback
    With a small investment in an external program(playon) I am able to watch programming available online, including Hulu(premium), comedy central, MLB network, NFL network(I can watch both baseball and football live and in HD) just to name a small few, and it gives me access to over 10,000 different programs, not to mention netflix and pandora. I also have access to thousands of online music stations. Since it is connected to my network, it can also access a library of over a 1000 DVD's stored on an raid array of 6TB external drives, and library that continues to grow as I store more of my DVD's onto the drives.
    BLAH BLAH BLAH.
    The load time on the PS3 I used was not that much faster than the SAMSUNG my buddy wound up buying.
    AND NOW WE ARE ON COST. Paying extra for a PS3 when you can get a BLU player
    for half the price is silly, like buying a hot rod that will do 200 mph when you can only do
    seventy. NO ONE WILL NOTICE THE DIFF.

I can do all of this without getting up from my seat. Try that with the stand lones!
    like you couldn't use the exercise

So it is not so weird when you actually see all the PS3 can do, and with the Cell processor only being used at about half its potential, this machine has quite a was to go in adding other features.
    Most of which you don't need.
    Any player these days can be easily upgraded

Personally I think it is weird that anyone would be so stuck on its gaming capabilities, when this thing can do so much more even if a person doesn't even play a game on it. I am just now getting into playing games, and I am finding that my hand/eye coordination is greatly improving because of it. It is also a stress buster.
    You don't have a problem with stress. You are a carrier.

Lastly consider this. Every post production house, encoding and compression house, every film studio in Hollywood uses the PS3 as a quality control machine to check Blu ray movies on. Here at Disney, they have about ten of them in the post production area. Because of this, PS3 owners have experienced the fewest playback issues when it comes to both DVD's and Blu rays.
    EXPLAINS a lot about ALL OF THE COMPATIBILITY issues.

I am sure it plays Dts CD as well, as it does have a Dts decoder built in, and it can play those disc and regular CD's at 44.1khz.
    Of course it plays DTS CD, every machine on earth that passes a digital signal will play a DTS CD, you just have to pass it to a receiver with a DTS decoder, or play it on a DVD
    or BLU player with internal decorders. A 30 dollar CD player with a digital out will play a DTS CD. Shows what you know, not that it matters, format wont be around that long,
    if it even still is.
    TO REPEAT , buying a PS3 and paying the extra cash is silly for most people.
    THE TEN PEOPLE that buy a Sony 8 thousand dollar 3D front projector (that you think will be a "mainstream" item) might have use for one.
    IF A PS3 has such a great form factor, why doesnt Sony put the guts in a standalone?
    Because they(unlike you) understand that it is engineered for gaming, and a lot
    on it is overkill for the average user, although it might make a great device for production houses to use...oh never mind.
    NOT EVERYBODY IS GROSSLY OVERPAID, and gets production samples, and can
    sit around watching grossly over engineered equipment playing mediocre movies whos
    one claim to fame is that stuff comes out and hits you in the face.
    Although once it sees your face I AM SURE it will turn around and head back into the screen.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Hey kids, I got my PS3 as a Christmas gift...

...so now I have to get my room set up ASAP, but there's much to be done. I still need to get all my A/V cables and speaker wires run, paint the room, build and install my screen, buy and install my projector, then set up the room. Anybody free next weekend?
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information