Forum Regular

Dolby PLIIx question

I hook up my cable box to my receiver and use the PLIIx setting and I only get front channel output. When I run my satellite using PLIIx I get the ful 7.1 wraparound sound. Anyone know why that is?

My receiver doesn't have a setting for cable so I have the cable box hooked up through the DVR/VCR2 inputs. Does that have anything to do with it? Someone please let me know, thanks.

Ryan

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ryjam282
    I hook up my cable box to my receiver and use the PLIIx setting and I only get front channel output. When I run my satellite using PLIIx I get the ful 7.1 wraparound sound. Anyone know why that is?

My receiver doesn't have a setting for cable so I have the cable box hooked up through the DVR/VCR2 inputs. Does that have anything to do with it? Someone please let me know, thanks.

Ryan

Your cable box is probably not stereo . . .i guess . . .

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Does your cable box have any audio settings? I assume it has stereo audio outputs at least?

Forum Regular
    The cable box has the coaxial cable and it has the yellow, red, and white connectors for video and audio. That is it. There are no settings for it. So, what do you guys think?

Forum Regular
    Ryan:
    There is only ONE answer to your query ... your cableTV provider is not providing you with a stereo audio signal, which is what's required by ProLogic circuits to function. Period. End of conversation.

This leaves us with one burning question: if you have satellite service, why are you putting up with a cable company? For "locals"? If you're with DirecTV, and they are not providing you with your local channels, perhaps Dish Network can. Look into it.

Hope this answers your puzzlement
    woodman

I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

Forum Regular
    Woodman, thanks a lot. I guess that answers it. I will just switch the cable to Stereo 7 channel so I get some use out of the rear surrounds...As for the satellite question, I get cable for free and for satellite I just have the NFL ticket so that comes with the NFL network. That is all I have on the satellite. Thanks a lot for the heads up though, I appreciate it.

Forum Regular

So Woodman .....

agree with what you say....cable companies dug up every yard in America for fiber optic digital service.....but just to deliver more channels to sell....hard to believe the expense made without providing 5.1...and other benefits of satellite.....aside from "interactive pay per view", its hard to understand why anyone would opt for billions of feet of wire vs satellite in the final analysis.....I guess when WI-FY...eliminates the need for wires for the net, there will be no reason for cable...

Thread Information