Forum Regular

ok to run different sized speakers for the surrounds?

at the moment i am running floorstanders for my suround speakers and bookshelf for my back rears. All speakers are from the same manifacturer and are matched to go as a 5.1 set up (floorstanders as the front speakers and bookshelvs as the rears) , however due to the limitations of the drivers and driver size in the smaller bookshelf speakers obviously they wont go as low as the larger surrounds. (130hz-20 000khz) and the floorstanders are (20hz-20 000). Will this be much of a problem though seeing that they are only surround speakers and are not producing no where near as much low freq as the fronts?
    is it ok to run different sized speakers for the surrounds and rear surrounds?

Its ok as long as the Ohms are the same. Many HT's use smaller speakers for the rear channels just because they are mainly used for sound effects. If your doing it for multi channel music then you would want all speakers to be the same.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    Its ok as long as the Ohms are the same. Many HT's use smaller speakers for the rear channels just because they are mainly used for sound effects. If your doing it for multi channel music then you would want all speakers to be the same.
    so it wouldnt be much of a prob even though my surrounds are floorstanders and the back surrounds are book shelf? the ohms are 6 through out , so that isn't an issue.

No problems at all.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    thanx bro

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    Many manufacturers put together home theater systems where all 5 or 7 speakers are not necessarily the same specified impedence (ohms). For example, Axiom Audio matches their front 4 ohm M80's with surround and center channel speakers that are 6 ohms. They also match their 8 ohm bookshelf speakers with 6 ohm surrounds. If all 5 or 7 speakers are rated at 4 ohms then it is possible one might have a problem driving them all simultaneously with a low end receiver.

You can run different size speakers for the fronts, center channel, surrounds and rear surrounds in any 5.1 or 7.1 system whether it is for HT or music. Ideally, in the perfect system, all 5 or 7 speakers would be the exact same speaker but few if any of us find that practical. However, it is prefered to make sure all speakers are from the same brand and same series so that they have the same tweeter and hopefully the same or almost the same midrange.

Be sure in your speaker set-up for the receiver you specify the smaller speakers as "small" so that the lower bass below the crossover frequency you select is sent to the subwoofer. It is usually recommended that you do the same even for floorstanding speakers. Some people leave the very largest floostanders at the "large" setting, however I think it is best to cross them over to the sub at 50-80Hz. No floorstanding speakers go to 20hz at -3db's or anything close unless maybe (big maybe) they have a built in powered sub (20hz is excellent even for a very good sub).. If your receiver is flexible enough you can set the crossover differently depending upon the bass extention of each speaker. For example, one person might set the rear surrounds at 120hz, the side surrounds at 100hz, the center at 90hz and the fronts at 80hz. This allows you to send the bass that the speaker does not effectively reproduce to the subwoofer.

RR6

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Astro
    at the moment i am running floorstanders for my suround speakers and bookshelf for my back rears. All speakers are from the same manifacturer and are matched to go as a 5.1 set up (floorstanders as the front speakers and bookshelvs as the rears) , however due to the limitations of the drivers and driver size in the smaller bookshelf speakers obviously they wont go as low as the larger surrounds. (130hz-20 000khz) and the floorstanders are (20hz-20 000). Will this be much of a problem though seeing that they are only surround speakers and are not producing no where near as much low freq as the fronts?
    is it ok to run different sized speakers for the surrounds and rear surrounds?
    I am doing this because my fronts (602s2) are more nuanced than my rears (dm305 floorstanders).
    It used to not matter with prologic but youi'd be surprized how much bass comes outta the rear channels.
    And mine work fine for whatever multichannel music I LISTEN TO
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Thread Information