Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

OK, now I'm pissed!

My trusty old Proscan 32" CRT which I've had since 2000 decided to show m a black screen last night. The funny thing is that the graphics (volume, channel, input selection, menu settings) still show just fine, just no picture from any input source. Up until then it gave a great picture.

I'm not really ready to go for a flat-screen yet but I may have to. I'm still trying to get an idea of what someone would charge to troubleshoot/fix this. That may be the determining factor here.

Life... a kick in the nethers when you least need it. ...and I still haven't received my stimulus check!

thanks for letting me rant.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    You may want to grab that Vizio you've been eyeing before the price goes up to meet the licensing fees...j/k

Seriously, sorry to read that Mark, and you're right, these things always seem to happen at the least convenient time.

JSE
    Maybe the subtitles still work! You can read your shows?

Seriously though, that sucks. Proscan makes (made?) some great products.

JSE

I got a bit more life from mine

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    My trusty old Proscan 32" CRT which I've had since 2000 decided to show m a black screen last night.
    Recently, my 1993 Proscan died in a similar fashion. Boy is that thing a tank! Weighs almost as much as I do. Like yours, the sound still works fine. Which really ticks me off because it had external speaker connections (I used some old KLH speakers) and an audio output jack that I used to drive a sub. The 42" Vizio that replaced it has neither. And while it looks great with a DVD source, it is kinda fuzzy on regular TV. Like computer monitors, most flat screens have a "native resolution". HDTV looks incredible if you have it. Anything less and it is bettered by old CRTs.

I'm still trying to get an idea of what someone would charge to troubleshoot/fix this.
    Good luck, but I think its dead. I bought an el cheapo $89 Korean 13" tv from Best Buy to use in the bathroom (yes, the wife likes to watch morning TV while she's getting ready). After about a year, it died. Since it was still in warranty for parts, I took it back for a repair estimate. The guy called me and gave me the figure for labor. All I could do was laugh. The repair guy knew why. The labor was more expensive than simply buying a new unit.

rw

Sorry to hear that Mark. You know that you and the misses are still welcome to stop by anytime to watch a little tube.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    Get with the times old man! Cripes!

that sucks, but nothing like something old breaking to give you a reason to get something new and shiny.

now i just wish my 11year old car would do the same lol
    Home Theatre:
    50" Panasonic TH-50PZ77
    Denon AVR-3808CI
    B&W 603 S3
    B&W LCR600 S3
    Paradigm Cinema ADP v.3
    SVS PB12-NSD
    Xbox 360 250GB
    Playstation 3 60GB
    Explorer 8300HD PVR 320GB
    Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ 8TB
    Harmony One

2-Channel:
    Paradigm Studio 20 v.5
    NAD C320BEE
    NAD C521BEE

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Sorry to hear that Mark. You know that you and the misses are still welcome to stop by anytime to watch a little tube.
    Thanks, we appreciate that. Maybe we could even watch your TV while we're there, too.

My pragmatic mind at work...

We're hoping to move to Texas within the next year or so. that's when I wanna spring for a new, ginormous flat screen.

If I can get this fixed for < $200 - $250 and get a few more years out of it I would feel that it was a worthwhile investment. Even though it's prehistoric technology, it gave a great pic for an old SD CRT.

I've got a buddy (in PA) that does TV's professionally and he might be able to help out, but transporting that behemoth wll be a task! Gonna call him tonight and see what he says. I'm pretty good at describing problems in things like this (duh! no picture!) and I think he's got access to a symptomatic lookup database for common problems.

Just funnin wid ya, GM. We'll be out ther this summer. Never, ever feed me such a straight line, or was that a straight line in itself?

Guess it's in the water....

Or in the air. My CRT just started losing it as well. I went the LCD route. It's expensive but hopefully you'll get something you'll really love in return.

Da Worfster

Thanks, we appreciate that. Maybe we could even watch your TV while we're there, too.
    We've made a few changes sinse last time. New speakers upstairs. The basement system is up & running (so no AM radio this time).
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Just funnin wid ya, GM. We'll be out ther this summer. Never, ever feed me such a straight line, or was that a straight line in itself?
    I feed these things out in hopes that they will spark laughter one way or another.
    Your straight line was very nice too.

Suspended
    If you have a friend, you might reach your goal. To give you an idea, my DAC quit working, I put it in the shop, they charged me $128.00 to fix a broke connection.

Cool

We're hoping to move to Texas within the next year or so. that's when I wanna spring for a new, ginormous flat screen.

If I can get this fixed for < $200 - $250 and get a few more years out of it I would feel that it was a worthwhile investment. Even though it's prehistoric technology, it gave a great pic for an old SD CRT.

I've got a buddy (in PA) that does TV's professionally and he might be able to help out, but transporting that behemoth wll be a task! Gonna call him tonight and see what he says. I'm pretty good at describing problems in things like this (duh! no picture!) and I think he's got access to a symptomatic lookup database for common problems.

you're TV is DEAD.
    You have trouble with your video proc, the only thing left is that little character generator
    that puts info on the screen.
    THE TUBE IS EIGHT YEARS OLD, it will cost minimum 300 bucks to fix..
    You can buy a 32in 16:9 HD set for under five hundred.
    DO THE MATH.
    And heres something else to consider.
    The industry concentrated on reliable long lasting stuff that you throw away when it breaks
    because of an interesting phenom whereby changing a part in a electronic device
    causes something else to fail.
    That new part will be up to spec, but the rest of the set wont be
    So six months to a year down the road something else will break.
    Also engineers try their best to design a device so that everything wears out at once.
    Like Richard Pryor said in silver streak...
    PAY THE MAN
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Thanks for your support.

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    you're TV is DEAD.
    You have trouble with your video proc, the only thing left is that little character generator
    DO THE MATH.
    The industry concentrated on reliable long lasting stuff that you throw away when it breaks
    Also engineers try their best to design a device so that everything wears out at once.
    PAY THE MAN
    But, before pronouncing final rights, do you mind if I let a buddy I've known since 1963 who repairs these for a living take a peek at it? We've been doing each other little "courtsies" for about 45 years so far.

Plus, to get the same "visual impact"* of this 32" 4:3 unit, I'll have to spring for a 42" 16:9 set.

* my term for getting a picture in a 16:9 set that's the same height as a 4:3 set.

Cool

But, before pronouncing final rights, do you mind if I let a buddy I've known since 1963 who repairs these for a living take a peek at it? We've been doing each other little "courtsies" for about 45 years so far.

Plus, to get the same "visual impact"* of this 32" 4:3 unit, I'll have to spring for a 42" 16:9 set.

* my term for getting a picture in a 16:9 set that's the same height as a 4:3 set.
    A "37" 16:9 is generally considered the "replacement for a 32 in 4:3 dino.
    ANYWAY you can get a 42 for a grand or cheaper if you look.
    Have your "guy" look at this set, I am pretty sure he will agree with me.
    BTW, have you tried slamming the cabinet?
    Works wonders sometimes.
    But your tube IS working, as is your high voltage power supply, both big ticket items
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

My trusty old Proscan 32" CRT which I've had since 2000 decided to show m a black screen last night. The funny thing is that the graphics (volume, channel, input selection, menu settings) still show just fine, just no picture from any input source. Up until then it gave a great picture.

I'm not really ready to go for a flat-screen yet but I may have to. I'm still trying to get an idea of what someone would charge to troubleshoot/fix this. That may be the determining factor here.

Life... a kick in the nethers when you least need it. ...and I still haven't received my stimulus check!

thanks for letting me rant.
    Haven't gotten my stimulus check either (although that's already earmarked for my daughter's college fund, since she and her peers will be paying for this "stimulus").

Sounds more like an input issue than anything having to do with the tube or other big ticket replacements, since the OSD still works. If you have no plans to go flat screen yet, then it might be worthwhile to at least get a diagnosis. I remember my parents TV several years ago was totally nonresponsive, it was just a blown capacitor on the control board (a $5 part and about half an hour of the technician's time, and it was fixed). Of course, if your TV aggregates more of the functions onto ICs, that same kind of fix might require replacing the entire board, and that can be $$$$.

The cost of the troubleshooting will depend on whether your TV requires a housecall or if you can bring the thing in. Drop-in estimates usually aren't expensive, but on-site diagnosis and pick up/delivery costs can be. These charges on big screens is how TV repair places stayed in business after smaller TVs became disposable commodity items.

Another short-term option would be the second hand market. A lot of perfectly functional TVs are getting jettisoned as consumers move to flat screens. If you're okay with the bulk and weight of CRTs, you can find relatively recent tube-based HDTVs selling for ~$100 on Craigslist. As an interim solution, this should work fine since you can always resell the TV when you move to Texas for little to no depreciation, and in the meantime they will likely display SD programming better than a flat panel.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Mark

If I am not mistaken, you bought a Toshiba 32 inch LCD last year. What happened to that TV?

Actually, that was Halloween of 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    Mark

If I am not mistaken, you bought a Toshiba 32 inch LCD last year. What happened to that TV?
    Good memory. It's still going strong in the small music/HT/library/guest bedroom and still has a fine picture.

The Proscan was in the larger main living area where most casual TV watching is done, particularly when a crowd gathers. Most of what we watch (on non-movie TV) is only worthy of SD anyway, so this was a perfect performer. If we want a great picture, Mrs W and I (and one or two lucky guests) truck it on down to the small room.

Until 16:9 HD becomes the norm, I can still see the need for a nice big-screen 4:3 CRT

If we do wind up going for another LCD, Toshiba is high on my wish list.

JSE
    We're hoping to move to Texas within the next year or so.

That's Rich and I's territory! We must prepare.

Quote Originally Posted by JSE
    Time to fire up the BBQ.

Until 16:9 HD becomes the norm, I can still see the need for a nice big-screen 4:3 CRT.
    I wish you had this problem six months ago. Bestbuy had Sharp 32 inch 4:3 Flat Tube with digital tuner (I have non flat version) on clearance for $360. As Wooch said, best bet would be to check your local craiglist TV sales.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Time to fire up the BBQ.
    Got it going already
    Last edited by Smokey; 06-17-2008 at 06:38 PM.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartman
    From what he's told me he'll be living about halfway between the two of us JSE. We'll be able to fire shots across his bow from almost equal distances.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    you're TV is DEAD.
    DO THE MATH.
    PAY THE MAN
    They do WHAT? So you're saying they design a set so a carbon resistor will wear out at the same time an op amp does? Good grief! You were a cop, now you're a security guard in a hospital, but you know for a fact that all the components in a TV are (as best as the engineers can do) designed to wear out at the same time? You're kooky!

Suspended
    If he's moving to Texas he has to keep the broke TV and just sit a 13" on top of it. Mark in TX should be like the sequel to My Cousin Vinnie.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information