Forum Regular

Component connections vs DVI connections

I'm wondering if there would be a noticeable difference in picture quality between component and DVI connections while watching DVD's. If I understand correctly, the DVI connection is for transferring the HD signal to the TV (monitor) however, most DVD's aren't HD.

Forum Regular
    No comments on this?

Forum Regular
    Come on! There's got to be someone in here with some insight on this.

Forum Regular
    Yes there is a noticable difference between DVI and CV and not just on DVDs. there are no HD dvd players---YET, however dvd players with the DVI output bypass all the processing to give you ( currently) the best possible picture; there really is no upconversion as some of them claim. There are HD dvd discs ( Windows Media Video ) that can playback only thru your PC but for right now these are mostly National Geographic type of stuff and very few feature movies.
    Maybe another board memeber could give you a better technical explaination

Forum Regular
    gramps:
    I strongly disagree with the reply given you by "AVMASTER", since there is no reason whatsoever that using a DVI connection will yield a better quality picture than the Component Video connection. All that such a connection does when it comes right down to it is to shift the digital-to-analog conversion from the DVD player over to the TV set/display monitor ... that's all there is going on. It's exactly the same scenario as feeding a digital audio signal via a Toslink cable to an A/V receiver or pre-pro to do the conversion to analog, rather than using the DAC(s) in a CD player for the conversion. Exact same thing.

Although in some cases - if the D-to-A conversion circuitry in the TV set is actually "better" than the equivalent circuitry in the DVD player, you could then get a slightly better picture by using the DCI connection. Of course, the reverse could also be true, in which case the DVI connection could actually result in a slightly less quality pic. With the technological achievements that have occurred with DACs in recent years however, I'd bet the very last quid in my pocket that you'd either find no difference whatsoever - or, if there was a difference, that it would be far too small and insignificant to matter to anyone other than a video CONE (Compulsive, Obsessive, Nitpicking Exaggerator).

And dat's da troot!

great-gramps woodman

Forum Regular
    Maybe I've misunderstood this whole DVI connection thing. It's my understanding a DVI connection is used to transfer an HD signal to an HD ready TV or monitor. If the DVD you're watching isn't encoded in HD, then how could the picture quality be any better than what you'd see using component connectors? I can see spending the extra money on a DVD player with DVI connections if it looks like the market will soon be making all DVD's in HD. Is that the direction the market is moving?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by grampi
    ... I can see spending the extra money on a DVD player with DVI connections if it looks like the market will soon be making all DVD's in HD. Is that the direction the market is moving?
    Not anytime soon, if the movie studios have their way in the matter. The poor fools are so consumed with paranoia over piracy that they don't seem to realize that there's a big market out there for HiDef version DVDs of their movies. The DVI interface was created in the first place as a misguided attempt at thwarting piracy - the poor fools also don't seem to realize that pirates can and will find the means to outsmart them every step of the way - no matter what the moviemakers try to do to stop them! That's an unfortunate fact of life in the 21st century.
    woodman

I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

Forum Regular
    Grampi, as i understand it you own a Hitachi RPTV yes? Well i have a Hitachi RP LCD connected via DVI to a Sony HD satellite receiver and THERE IS a PQ difference as opposed to CV . I will be adding a DVI capable dvd player as soon as i can lay my hands on a DVI distribution amp and the new Samsung HD941 becomes available. As with most of this gear, you really must see and hear for yourself

You probably will not see much difference for CRT HDTV using DVI or CV since the signal have to be converted to analog (some where along the way) in order to be displayed.

But for digital display [fixed pixel] devices such as Plasma, LCD, DLP-, LCD- or LCoS-RPTV, then DVI is way to go since the signal will be in digital format from source to the display.

Thread Information