Thread: OH OH Bose

Forum Regular

Question OH OH Bose

Hi,,
    Im wondering about a couple of Bose 101 speakers for the Back 2 speakers for my HT,
    Im not familiar with Bose speakers at all,, Only reason Im considering these is of the size
    I can hang them on my wall out of the way, and I can get 2 for $40 bucks cdn..
    Next question is All my other speakers are 8 ohm and I think these are 4ohm,, Can you mix the ohms ?? 4 ohm for the back and 8 for the fronts?or should they all be equal in ohms?? the reciever being used is an H/K 225,
    Thanks
    Dale M

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

It all depends

Quote Originally Posted by Dale M
    Hi,,
    Im wondering about a couple of Bose 101 speakers for the Back 2 speakers for my HT,
    Im not familiar with Bose speakers at all,, Only reason Im considering these is of the size
    Next question is All my other speakers are 8 ohm and I think these are 4ohm,, Can you mix the ohms ?? 4 ohm for the back and 8 for the fronts?or should they all be equal in ohms?? the reciever being used is an H/K 225,
    Thanks
    Dale M

While I'm sure the receiver will drive them take a minute to look at what your asking. If you can get two speakers for $30US, how good can they possibly be? I spend more than that on take out Chinese food, don't you want to spend a little more on something you'll be listening to for many years?
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Being that they are so cheaply priced, and they are Bose, they are guaranteed to sound like a lump of dung. Avoid them at all costs.

Forum Regular
    Hi,,
    Thanks
    Dale M

Why not try them? You are not spending a lot on them. If you don't like them, you can sell them or use it somewhere else where it doesn't matter.
    mtrycrafts

Forum Regular
    Hi,, I know the guy that has them, thats why they are 40 bucks,, maybe they are worth 80 maybe not. he will probably give me these for nothing if I really want them but I dont want them at any price if its not good to mix 4 ohms and 8 ohms together,, he has a bar and just put in a new system thro out the whole bar, .
    But Can I put 4 ohm speakers in the back and 8 ohm in the front??
    Is it Safe to mix them like that? or is that hard on a receiver,,
    Thanks
    Dale M

Yes you can mix them. Your receiver should have no problem driving them so go ahead and give them a try. Shoot for $30 you might as well. As previously posted, if you find you dont like them sell them and get something else.

Forum Regular
    Hi,, I know the guy that has them, thats why they are 40 bucks,, maybe they are worth 80 maybe not. he will probably give me these for nothing if I really want them but I dont want them at any price if its not good to mix 4 ohms and 8 ohms together,, he has a bar and just put in a new system thro out the whole bar, .
    But Can I put 4 ohm speakers in the back and 8 ohm in the front??
    Is it Safe to mix them like that? or is that hard on a receiver,,
    Thanks
    Dale M

If you know him, ask to borrow to try it. What a deal. If it works out, you buy, if not you thank him.
    mtrycrafts

Talking Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    If you can get two speakers for $30US, how good can they possibly be? I spend more than that on take out Chinese food
    That is EXACTLY what I was thinking right down to the pot-stickers!

nightflier

Mixing 8 ohm and 4 ohm speakers is not a good idea

...Can I put 4 ohm speakers in the back and 8 ohm in the front??
    Is it Safe to mix them like that? or is that hard on a receiver, Thanks Dale M
    Dale,

I'm going to have to disagree with the other posts. You cannot mix 4 ohm and 8 ohm speakers like that. You need a very capable receiver to do this. I tried this with my previous receiver, a HK, and the receiver just shut off. When I contacted the manufacturer, they said that the receiver can drive the 4 ohm speakers but with difficulty, and probably not with 8 ohm speakers in the mix and they did not recommend doing this.

Likewise, I wanted to buy the Axiom M80ti speakers to complement my other Axiom speakers and just to be on the safe side, I contacted Axiom to ask them if these would work with my Onkyo receiver. They said this was not possible. While I can connect a 6 ohm center channel, the 4 ohm load would be too great for the front L/R speakers.

Now I'm no engineer, but it would be a tragedy if those $40/Free speakers would fry your receiver. HK makes solid receivers, so that's not likely, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Thread Information