• 06-10-2007, 07:49 AM
    Rich-n-Texas
    So close!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Quick! Get Kex settled before pixelthis sees this topic!!! :yikes: :biggrin5:

Dam Rich, we almost made it!
    I know, we were sooo close... :cryin:

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixelthis
    ...Rich on paper...

Not even that dude, trust me! :D
    Quote:

BTW I was looking at the owners manuel of a RCA DLP, and the part about changing the bulb was HILARIOUS.
    Have to change it every two years, a grand over ten years, and be carefull about changing it, could cause "INJURY AND EVEN DEATH"!!!

You're speaking in generalizations again. MTBF's is a better measure of component life. There are many factors including how well the area around the TV is ventilated, how clean the vents are kept... etc that will, in real life, determine how long the lamp will last. A guy I work with bought a DLP for his parents about five years ago (actual hours = ?) and is still burning the original bulb. I think everyone here will agree that if you keep your expensive audio components clean and well ventilated that, in and of itself, will help promote a long and happy existence on this planet, right?

My TV contains a sealed in its own cartridge, 150 watt Mercury Vapor bulb that human hands will never come in contact with. When you're ready for a new one, you send it back in a supplied box, and the new one arrives without any chance of potential death included. Compare this with a gas filled plasma that falls off the wall due to defective mounting brackets (yes, there's been a recall for some manufacturer's brackets failing). Can the gas be harmful if you breathe it? What can happen if the liquid crystal display breaks and you ingest the liquid crystal? If a 100 lb. plasma falls on your head, is there a chance for serious INJURY AND EVEN DEATH?
    Quote:

...half a dozen pages of flat screens at Sams web site and THREE rear projection sets...TOTAL

Quote:

(you see, the.. what I'd call *clientel* at this particular CC aren't exactly in the middle class of society, so to speak)

Do you see the parallel I'm trying to draw here? :smilewinkgrin:
  • 06-11-2007, 07:48 AM
    pixelthis
    AH RICHIE, now you're drawing on the ol "snob appeal" element, I FEEL FOR YA BUD ,
    I really really do. Anyway dont get me started on plasmas...
    My LCD doesnt have any gases so to speak. Yeah I read recently about a guy who got his mercury (a nice safe material) bulb to last awhile, when he turned it on he wouldnt turn it off for fifteen minutes, etc, none of which I have to worry about with my LCD,
    DONT HAVE TO BABY MY BABY to get it to last a decent amount of time.
    And yes plasmas have fallen off the wall, the blasted things are a menace,heavy as the dickens, basically a
    glass envelope full of noxious gas, emits ultraviolet radiation, has to be shipped in a metal
    box you could bury a pharoh in, and if you're not carefull screen burn in will result in you watching the news even wnen you're not watching the news
    But its sad that the only thing dlp has going for it is that its better than plasma.
    The really funny thing about plasma AND dlp is that when these came out they weren't
    exactly known for their black levels, now the snob crowd cites that as an advantage!
    But you are right about the "great unwashed" that are buying into LCD, SOME are too
    clueless to tie their shoes, but that doesnt mean they are wrong in the case of LCD, and
    do you really want them to be buying stuff like rear projection sets with mercury bulbs
    and heavy glass envelopes that hang on the wall?
    Every once in awhile you get several ways of doing one thing, and of course humans
    being the way they are you wind up with several on the shelves at the same time.
    This happened with the auto, electric, steam, and gasoline, only one surrived.
    DLP and plasma are the steam powered cars of the early 21st century
    Essentially the form factor of LCD is sound, it might be supplanted by led if they get the tech nailed down, but that wont happen for awhile.
    OH well, you TI guys can get back into cheap pocket calculators maybe...:hand:
  • 06-11-2007, 12:22 PM
    Rich-n-Texas
    This coming from a guy who thinks "the disk is DEAD" :rolleyes5:

And ummm... check out the prices of the TI graphing calculator sometime. :eek:
  • 06-14-2007, 11:20 AM
    PAT.P
    If your able to find an EDTV, go for it.These are progressive scan TV( ntsc,atsc/qam built in tuners) and at 480p are better than lots of 1080i.If you have a large collection of dvd ( 480 ) this is a better tv .Just my opinion:thumbsup:
  • 06-19-2007, 01:05 AM
    pixelthis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PAT.P
    If your able to find an EDTV, go for it.These are progressive scan TV( ntsc,atsc/qam built in tuners) and at 480p are better than lots of 1080i.If you have a large collection of dvd ( 480 ) this is a better tv .Just my opinion:thumbsup:

These are rapidly disapearing, since you can get a 32in hdtv for 600 AND a cheap EDTV
    (always a plasma) is at least a grand.
    AS for TI'S pocket calculators notice I said CHEAP, not inexpensive:thumbsup:
  • 06-19-2007, 07:26 PM
    PAT.P
    Quote:

These are rapidly disapearing, since you can get a 32in hdtv for 600 AND a cheap EDTV

Your starting to be like a bad rash !:crazy:
  • 06-20-2007, 04:01 AM
    kexodusc
    Update:
    I managed to spend several hours looking at sets with Dad (Mom was busy). Unfortunately we were limited to just Sony LCD Projection sets, and the cool new DLP LED thingy's by Samsung and a few DLP's of various brands.

I must say, we spent a long time in front of the Sony watching Nascar and baseball and didn't notice any screen door effects. If they were there, they were very minor. Picture was quite nice, really. At least I know if this is as bad as it gets, they'll be happy anyway.

The LED-DLP set was just a slightly better overall picture everywhere however, but cost 35% more or so. Next up is the JVC HD-ILA set, which I'm looking forward to spending some time with.

Buying a TV today is far too complicated for most people I think. They really need an idiot's guide to TV buying.
  • 06-20-2007, 04:21 AM
    PAT.P
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kexodusc
    :

Buying a TV today is far too complicated for most people I think. They really need an idiot's guide to TV buying.

Sure is ! Im waiting for the smoke to settle down before jumping in for my main system.I want my next TV and HT receiver with HDMI 1.3 hook-up and DVD player ect ect ect:ihih:
  • 06-20-2007, 05:16 AM
    Rich-n-Texas
    Quote:

Pixelsplease, I'll need you to stay after school today so we can work on your emoticon posting skills. :rolleyes5:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kex
    The LED-DLP set was just a slightly better overall picture everywhere however, but cost 35% more or so. Next up is the JVC HD-ILA set, which I'm looking forward to spending some time with.

As much as I hate to admit it, the 3-chip LCoS architecture is probably a good idea, at least as far as eliminating moving parts is concerned. But like I said, TI's DLP technology is evolving.
  • 06-20-2007, 05:39 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

Pixelsplease, I'll need you to stay after school today so we can work on your emoticon posting skills. :rolleyes5:

Can I stay after too? Can I?:ihih:

Quote:

As much as I hate to admit it, the 3-chip LCoS architecture is probably a good idea, at least as far as eliminating moving parts is concerned. But like I said, TI's DLP technology is evolving.

I do like the picture of a DLP. When you guys gonna lower the prices?
  • 06-20-2007, 05:41 AM
    Rich-n-Texas
    Your emoticon posting skills are just fine GM.

The next time we have an employee purchase program going and if none of my brothers are interested I'll donate my discount to you, but you'll have to start being nice to me again. :biggrin5:
  • 06-20-2007, 05:58 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

Your emoticon posting skills are just fine GM.

The next time we have an employee purchase program going and if none of my brothers are interested I'll donate my discount to you, but you'll have to start being nice to me again. :biggrin5:

Again? You mean I was nice to you at one point?:idea:
  • 06-21-2007, 08:09 AM
    Duds
    Hey Kex

Take a look at commercial plasma panels. I've read a ton of posts by people saying that the NEC commercial plasmas are awesome, and the Pioneer commercial plasmas with an upgraded video card give you a Pioneer Elite quality picture for a much lower price.

Give Chris at Cleveland Plasma a call, he is very helpful.
  • 06-21-2007, 09:41 AM
    topspeed
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kex
    They really need an idiot's guide to TV buying.

Hey, I thought that's what we were here for! :lol:

BTW, if we're being held afterschool, can someone make sure the teacher from Van Halen's "Hot for Teacher" is there?:ihih:
  • 06-21-2007, 09:52 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

Originally Posted by topspeed

BTW, if we're being held afterschool, can someone make sure the teacher from Van Halen's "Hot for Teacher" is there?:ihih:

I'm on it now.
  • 06-21-2007, 10:07 AM
    Rich-n-Texas
    You guys might want to keep in mind that DLR was hot for just about anything that had legs, and... GM, please remove youself from my person!

On topic...
    Kex, we're still awaiting your decision...

:biggrin5: