Forum Regular

Noob needs help connecting new setup with DVD player, TV, and XBOX

Hey,

I just got an Onkyo HT-S760 home theater system with an Onkyo DV-CP701 DVD player.

I am starting to get this thing setup, but it is my first time with a receiver or any type of audio setup, and I have a few questions....I'm looking through the manual, but they don't answer everything I'm wondering.....

I want optimal video quality for both DVD player and the XBOX. Currently, I have my XBOX connected to the TV via component video. If I want component quality from the DVD player, however, what must I do? The receiver has 2 component ins and 1 component out, while the TV has just 1 set of component video. How can I set this up so all things run at the best quality? Will I have to sacrifice XBOX quality for DVD quality.... and vice versa by plugging both DVD + XBOX component into the receiver, then from receiver out to TV run another set of component? I hear this takes away from picture quality by not directly plugging into the TV...

Now with audio, again, how do I get optimal audio from both XBOX + DVD's + TV. I have an optical digital cable connecting the DVD player to the receiver, but what other connections must I make. What needs to be done so DVD's, XBOX, and TV can come into the surround sound setup at best quality.

Sorry for all the questions, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by BoostedA4
    Hey,

I just got an Onkyo HT-S760 home theater system with an Onkyo DV-CP701 DVD player.

I am starting to get this thing setup, but it is my first time with a receiver or any type of audio setup, and I have a few questions....I'm looking through the manual, but they don't answer everything I'm wondering.....

I want optimal video quality for both DVD player and the XBOX. Currently, I have my XBOX connected to the TV via component video. If I want component quality from the DVD player, however, what must I do? The receiver has 2 component ins and 1 component out, while the TV has just 1 set of component video. How can I set this up so all things run at the best quality? Will I have to sacrifice XBOX quality for DVD quality.... and vice versa by plugging both DVD + XBOX component into the receiver, then from receiver out to TV run another set of component? I hear this takes away from picture quality by not directly plugging into the TV

Now with audio, again, how do I get optimal audio from both XBOX + DVD's + TV. I have an optical digital cable connecting the DVD player to the receiver, but what other connections must I make. What needs to be done so DVD's, XBOX, and TV can come into the surround sound setup at best quality.

Sorry for all the questions, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    From what you have given, use the 2 components inputs for the DVD and XBOX then run the output back to the TV. On the sound question, run digital toslink or coax if possible from each unit if not you have to use good old analog. Most DVD players have digital outputs and I'm sure XBOX does too. Most TV's don't, unless you have a cable converter box that has the digital ouput. The picture loss is minimal if any, only those with large screen TV's have seen the difference and thats looking for it. Just use good wires ( the same on each unit) and I'm sure you'll be happy
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Forum Regular

Different connection possiblities

Here's another way you could do it up.
    You could buy 3 RCA "splitters". These are little things designed to split an analog output signal (the "good old"), but I'm fairly sure they can be used to double inputs. ASK A SALESMAN, THOUGH! They should be able to set that straight. They're just a single male RCA pin on one end, but two female RCA's on the other. Think of the Y-adaptor used with subwoofer cables and you've got the right idea, but much more compact. Monster makes a fairly popular version, but as far as I know they're sold in pairs (might have trouble buying 3).
    The way you could use these is to plug the splitters into the TV, and that would mean you could then plug both sets of component video cables into the one connection. This would mean you'd bypass the reciever's video processing entirely. The only thing I can think of that might be a problem with that is you'd have to make sure the Xbox and DVD player aren't sending a signal at the same time. But again, ASK A SALESMAN! I've never tried this myself, but I know one or two things about connections.

As for the audio, don't be too quick to jump on the digital cable bandwagon. Yes, it's newer than analog inputs, but there's an important difference to using the cables.
    Using a digital cable means that you're sending an unprocessed signal to your receiver. I assume your receiver has it's own DAC (Digital Analog Converter, if you didn't know) that can handle 24bit/96khz (DVD) digital signals (your manual should tell you). If it doesn't, then I wouldn't think it would process any DVD sound. But if it's a recent model it should be fine.
    Using analog connections means that you're leaving the digital to analog processing to your DVD player and Xbox. Basically, you just have to decide which processers you prefer, those inside the DVD player and Xbox, or the one in your receiver. Try them both for certain, though. If you do choose the analog route, it will mean more cables (one for each channel, as opposed to digital signals that are all-in-one). So if money's a serious factor, you might be better sticking with the digital.

Hope this helps,
    Mike

Going with one digital cable is a helluv a lot cheaper than six analog cables, unless the DVD's DAC is far superior to the receiver's DAC which is unlikely. Plus, the Onkyo DV-CP701 doesn't have a six-channel out, according to the pic on their website.

As a side note, the Monstercable website has fairly cool (and colorful) hookup diagrams when you feel like you're in the dark about such things.

Good luck with all the cables and the switching, and the playing, and the watching.

Forum Regular
    Firstly do you have surround sound speakers? wihtout them, there is nothing you can do here. You seem to only mention TV speakers. If you do have 5.1 or above, Component cables from XBOX to Onkyo, and same goes to the Onkyo to TV, then you'll be fine. Same for optical cable for audio. Just hook up between the source and the Onkyo. But go for digital cable if you can. Its sound will amaze you more.

Thread Information