• 12-14-2006, 07:40 PM
    ddayton217
    No Dolby Digital Signal...
    I just bought a HK AVS245 receiver, I have my XBOX hooked up through a optical connection and it plays full Dolby Digital sound. I have a Sony 5-Disc changer ( that does DTS, DD, etc) and when I play a DVD through there it doesnt show or auto detect in Dolby Digital sound. I have the dvd hooked through a digital coax conection. I ran EZSET on the speakers and it finds some here and there and gives different reports all the time. Can someone shed some light on this? Im fairly new at the HT world..thanks
  • 12-15-2006, 02:43 AM
    Dusty Chalk
    Sounds like it should work. Tell us more.

The only thing I can think of is go through the menu of the Sony changer to see if you accidentally have digital out turned off or something.
  • 12-15-2006, 05:23 AM
    kexodusc
    I agree with Dusty - sounds like a goofy setting somewhere (there's a bunch of 'em) hasn't been activated. Make sure the bitstream and PCM setting in the DVD player are correct.
    Some receivers need to know what what inputs to read for which sources, make sure your receiver knows it should be reading.
  • 12-15-2006, 11:24 AM
    ddayton217
    Ok I'll check into that, my Media Center PC also doesnt play in DD..I thought the receiver was supposed to decode the signals then send them out to the speakers? I guess thats not the case....I'll let you know when I find out more..thanks!
  • 12-16-2006, 04:46 AM
    Dusty Chalk
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ddayton217
    ..I thought the receiver was supposed to decode the signals then send them out to the speakers?

Should.
  • 12-16-2006, 02:15 PM
    Daedilus
    Sounds to me like you have not yet assigned the digital input to specific types/numbers.

Dvd is defaulted to Coaxial 1 input when your receiver comes out of the box, however it could have been changed at some point so you need to check it anyway. These settings are not manipulated by EZset. which handles speaker settings only. You will need to go further into the installation menu to assign the inputs.

I'll also mention that while you will get dolby digital surround out of your linear bitstream SPDIF, (coaxial digital), you will not get DTS out of it. An optical connection is required for that lil widget to work. so you might want to consider hooking it up with optical if you want DTS as opposed to Pro Logic Cinema.

Most dvd players have a setting in thier setup where you can change the digital out of the device to be Linear Bistream, Dolby Digital, or Off. This setting can be a pain in the butt to get to, as not all remotes have a "settings" or "setup" button dedicated. I have found a few models of Sony's which require the display button to be pressed while there is no disc in the machine... annoying, yeah?...

Anyway you will want to get into that and goto custom setup as opposed to quick and make sure its set up for bitstream if you are going to use coaxial, Dolby Digital if you are going to use optical...

For step by step assistance with setting up your input assigments on your HK receiver, refer to pages 32, 33 in your manual, or follow this link to it.

http://manuals.harman.com/HK/Owner%2...5om-LowRes.pdf

Hope that helps.
  • 12-20-2006, 07:29 PM
    recoveryone
    Quote:

"I'll also mention that while you will get dolby digital surround out of your linear bitstream SPDIF, (coaxial digital), you will not get DTS out of it. An optical connection is required for that lil widget to work. so you might want to consider hooking it up with optical if you want DTS as opposed to Pro Logic Cinema."
    Not sure where you got thet bit of information, Coaxial and optical are the same as to sending the signal from a DVD or any other source to a receiver. If he is not getting a DTS or DD signal it should be in the menu settings or a problem with the receiver. Since he gets the DD/DTS sometimes it sounds more like a short in the DSP board of the unit.

I used both Coax and Optical on my units and never had a issue about getting a DD/DTS signal.
  • 12-20-2006, 07:43 PM
    Dusty Chalk
    Good catch, I missed that -- yeah, there's no reason that DTS can't normally go out across coax.
  • 12-29-2006, 06:47 PM
    Blue Meanie
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Daedilus
    Anyway you will want to get into that and goto custom setup as opposed to quick and make sure its set up for bitstream if you are going to use coaxial, Dolby Digital if you are going to use optical...

Wouldn't the output signal of the DVD player be set up the SAME whether digital coax or optical is being used?

Jeff
  • 12-30-2006, 03:36 PM
    recoveryone
    yes it would blue
  • 12-30-2006, 03:57 PM
    Blue Meanie
    I guess some folks feel that erroneous advice is better than no advice...:confused5: