AR Newbie Registered Member

Budget 7.1 speaker suggestions

Hi all,

I'm really looking into diving into the 7.1 sound systems, but I'm on a bit of a budget. I have at most $1000 to spend on speakers and was hoping that someone would have some insight as to what and where I should get.

I'm going for a good, crisp sound that really sounds good. I want it to have enough bass and depth to sound as close to real as possible.

I would prefer new speakers compared to vintage audio, but any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!!

CT

I've been away from a HT scene, but I think HT Headz from this site can help you with your question, if you tell us the following Info:

1. Do you already have some speakers?
    If so, do you plan to integrate them into your HT system?

2. How big is your room?
    3. What HT receiver do you have?
    4. Do you plan to watch strictly movies or some concert DVDs?
    5. Do you already have a powered sub? If not, would you consider a powered sub with 4 pairs of bookshelf speakers?
    6. Are you willing to purchase lightly used speakers that are made within last 10 years?
    7. What country do you live in? and this one probably shoulda been the first question.

$1000 is ALOT of money, man. Dont think you are on a budget. You can get some great speakers with your budget. Just have fun and do some research.

Nothing is worst than making your purchase, then coming to this site 3 hours later, posting:

"I just spend $1000 on a system. Do you guys think I made a good decision?"

Have great fun with your future system.

Peace,

J

Quote Originally Posted by ctsoccer13
    Hi all,

I'm really looking into diving into the 7.1 sound systems, but I'm on a bit of a budget. I have at most $1000 to spend on speakers and was hoping that someone would have some insight as to what and where I should get.

I'm going for a good, crisp sound that really sounds good. I want it to have enough bass and depth to sound as close to real as possible.

I would prefer new speakers compared to vintage audio, but any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!!

CT
    I started my HT venture with the Infinity TSS series. They sound pretty good for what it is and have an excellent reviews...check out the CNet review for starts.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Of course there are many brands to choose from.

I "upgraded" to the Infinity Beta 20s after that.

Heres a link to a factory certified dealer that refurbishes them with full factory warranty.

http://www.theaudiovideosource.com/1BetaSeries.html

Good Luck

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Thanks to all for the quick responses!

jrhymeammo, in answer to your questions:

1. Do you already have some speakers?
    If so, do you plan to integrate them into your HT system?
    No, I currently have no speakers--not ones I would want to use anyways...

2. How big is your room?
    It's going to be my living room. I live in a standard college apartment, if you've ever seen though--the typical kitchen attached to the living room with 4 rooms coming off of the living room. The room is not fully enclosed as it has an entrance to the kitchen. But, back to the question, it is about 20'x10' and our TV sits about in the middle of the 20' wall with the TV on the wall parallel to it. Oh, and the room is pretty much square.

3. What HT receiver do you have?
    I don't have one yet, but I'm really looking at the Pioneer VSX-1016TXVK.
    Here

4. Do you plan to watch strictly movies or some concert DVDs?
    Mainly DVDs and Bluray DVDs, along with sound for my gaming systems and TV.

5. Do you already have a powered sub? If not, would you consider a powered sub with 4 pairs of bookshelf speakers?
    I don't have a powered sub yet. 4 pairs of bookshelf speakers? Never really considered that...

6. Are you willing to purchase lightly used speakers that are made within last 10 years?
    I would prefer on the newer side of that 10 years, but as long as they sound good and don't look like they're from the 80's

7. What country do you live in? and this one probably shoulda been the first question.
    The good ol' US of A.

To Luvin', I'll look into those--hadn't run across them yet in my search, so I'll google em and see what they're like. Thanks!

Regardless, I hope my answers help to find what would best fit me!

Thanks to all!

starting from scratch...

Ok,

So basically you need to spend 1K and get EVERYTHING, which I am guessing includes receiver, dvd player, and all of your speakers. This is not going to be easy, but still possible. It also depends on whether you are able to upgrade in the near future. My suggestion would be to get good mains (left and right) and perhaps center for right now, a decent receiver (like Pioneer will do) and that should get you started. The center and surrounds can always be upgraded down the line and it would be better to use the money on them in other places for right now, like on the two mains.

Your receiver should run you around $250-300 for an average 7.1 pioneer receiver.

I'd spend around $500 for your mains. $100 for center channel. $100 for surrounds.

That doesn't leave much for a player, so if you have to take a few dollars from the center and surrounds....plus you will need your cables and such, which could be another $100-$150.

Forum Regular
    [QUOTE=ctsoccer13]

It's going to be my living room. I live in a standard college apartment, if you've ever seen though--the typical kitchen attached to the living room with 4 rooms coming off of the living room. The room is not fully enclosed as it has an entrance to the kitchen. But, back to the question, it is about 20'x10' and our TV sits about in the middle of the 20' wall with the TV on the wall parallel to it. Oh, and the room is pretty much square.

I take it you mean that the couch is on the parallel wall.It sounds like your room is not big enough to need 7.1,i would go with a proper 5.1 set up,the extra 2 speakers fill the space behind the seating area and if you are against the wall there is no space back there.I would not worry to much as there is no 7.1 software outthere yet.If you could put the tv on the 10ft wall it would open up more possibilities and should sound better as well.

bill

I
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

One more thing...

With your budget and your goal it is going to be hard for you to not be tempted with the all-in-one package deals that are offered all over the place. I strongly suggest you steer clear of this direction! Just another thought!

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    With your budget and your goal it is going to be hard for you to not be tempted with the all-in-one package deals that are offered all over the place. I strongly suggest you steer clear of this direction! Just another thought!
    I think his budget is $1000 for speakers only. That's why I mentioned the Infinty Beta 20s, not the best out there but a great R&R speaker as they are "punchy". The dealer I mentioned has them on sale for around $115 a piece and $130 for a matching center (=$590 for a 5.0 system) .They will need a sub tho if you like prog, etc but would have $400 left out of the budget for a decent one.

IMHO I think you would be hard pressed to better this deal.
    Last edited by Luvin Da Blues; 07-30-2007 at 05:29 AM.

Thread Information