Thread: Up And Running

Smile Up And Running

After weeks of getting everything together in one place (waiting for shipping blows)
    my system is up and running. All went fairly smooth. The receiver does everything
    as advertised (how they sell this for under $400 is crazy). A shout to N.Abstentia,
    The Woochifer and Superpanavison70mm for all the advice/help. This system came
    in at under $2000 (my limit) after lots of shopping around. It proves you don't have to settle
    for an "entry level" system, Look around for deals, take your time, have fun. I'm happy
    with the gear I chose, and it ROCKS... big time. Thanks again, To everyone.

Pioneer VSX1015
    JBL 4301B Studio monitors(From back in the day..Updated)Front
    JBL Cinemavision CVCEN50 Center
    JBL E-30 Surrounds
    JBL Northridge satellite Back Channel
    Pioneer Elite DV45A DVDA/SACD
    Panasonic DVD
    Sony RCD W50C CD Player/Recorder
    AR Interconnects
    Cobalt 14G Wire
    Last edited by likeitloud; 06-08-2006 at 06:04 AM.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Looks like you put together a nice little system there...congrats on your new toys.
    I had the opportunity to demo that particular receiver. I don't think you can beat it for the money - it's well above entry level. Nice source player units too. Looks liket he guys here steered you in the right direction.

Do you have plans for future upgrades?

Smile

Thanks, I actually found your thread on the pioneer/yamaha breakdown and it was the
    final "push" to go for the pioneer. Your statement of "one of the best receivers under
    $1000 let alone $500 is right on the money. I audtioned many units in my budget range(HK, Denon, Yamaha, Panasonic) and I'm happy with this choice. End of year upgrades
    will be t.v and audio rack/stand. Thanks again.

Suspended
    Happy to hear you're enjoying your new system. Doing the research and performing listening tests were always the most fun for me. Do you have a picture of the JBL Studio Monitors? I worked for CBS's tape facility in the mid 70s to early 80s. I was responsible for calibrating their QA, Mastering and A/B suites. We had four JBL Studio Monitors in each of our mastering rooms driven by either McIntosh, or Crown amplifiers with various sources from Nakamichi, Studer, Ampeg, Scully and IBM (Isoloop mastering deck). The JBLs had a 15" woofer and tweeter with a finned difuser. The cabinet was about 24" tall, had a slightly sloped front (not sloped as in time alignment sloped). The four speaker setup was used originally for Quad (on 8-track tape back in the day). They later went to strictly 2-channel, but the JBLs always sounded good. I was just curious.

They do have 15" woofers but the cabinets are straight. in 03 they were sent to Jbl
    for a tweeter upgrade(from the same era, I did'nt want the sound changed that much.)
    They used ti tweeters tuned for that era. They replaced the foam and put some kind of
    matting in the speaker box as i want some of the "boominess" muffeled for home
    theater. I was $700, but the speakers were passed down from dad/brother. I get pics
    asap.

Sweet! I'm glad that your gear is up and running and most importantly....

that you are happy! It's also great to see another person satisfied with their Pioneer gear. Congrats!

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by likeitloud
    They do have 15" woofers but the cabinets are straight. in 03 they were sent to Jbl
    for a tweeter upgrade(from the same era, I did'nt want the sound changed that much.)
    They used ti tweeters tuned for that era. They replaced the foam and put some kind of
    matting in the speaker box as i want some of the "boominess" muffeled for home
    theater. I was $700, but the speakers were passed down from dad/brother. I get pics
    asap.
    The fact that JBL even offers such service on its older products is impressive.

Congrats on your new setup!

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Definately congratulations are in order. Enjoy the new set-up. Looks like you have the capacity to inflict some serious R&R damage...

Cheers and good listening
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Thread Information