Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications

Newest Behringer Feedback Destroyer now available and affordable!

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=248-657
    It's still butt-ugly (but not as much so) and now has way too many filters to be practical for simple HT use I think...
    Much better than expected, but for home theater/subwoofer Parametric eq-ing purposes, I don't see much advantage to the new model.
    Perhaps some of the wiser, more terrible members here could confirm?

Late to the party ... thought I had posted a response earlier!

That $150 street price for the new BFD is not quite the sticker shock that I saw when the new version was announced with a $200 list price. But, it's still $50 higher than what the previous model has been selling for.

Functionally, the new BFD's enhancements primarily benefit its "intended" usage as a feedback suppression tool, with not much additional benefit for those of us who would use the BFD for subwoofer equalization. The new version adds a few additional parametric filters, but I don't even use all 12 of the available filters on the current model, and my room has some pretty bad acoustical issues. I doubt that too many people would benefit from additional filters.

I think that the higher resolution DACs might provide some benefit to those who might use the parametric equalization feature for the midrange and highs, since the previous two versions of the BFD were known for introducing audible noise into the signal when using it for midrange and high frequency equalization. But, that noise with the older models did not affect the bass range, which is why the BFD was so frequently recommended even by users who would never considering using it for higher frequency equalization.

If the BFD has any major faults for subwoofer equalization, it's with the less than user-friendly interface and rack-mount cabinet. I would hope that the new version simplifies the steps needed to create the parametric filters, but the buttons and dials on the front look pretty much identical to the previous versions. Although I would add that the new version does look a lot less obnoxious than the old models did (although a cabinet more friendly to mounting with a regular home theater rather than just a rack-mounted pro audio rig would be nice).

Even at its list price of $200, the BFD is still less expensive than other parametric equalizers and IMO well worth the money for the sound improvement that it provides. At $150, it's more expensive than I'm used to, but still an unqualified bargain.

Forum Regular

What exactly does this do?

What does this do in layman's terms?

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardGein
    It equalizes the subwoofer to correct room-induced frequency peaks. Do a search for Behringer and you'll pull up any number of threads where this topic has been discussed in depth before.

cam
    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardGein
    It will make your tiny little sub sound like 4 brand new paradigm servo 15 subs.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    It equalizes the subwoofer to correct room-induced frequency peaks. Do a search for Behringer and you'll pull up any number of threads where this topic has been discussed in depth before.
    Does this mean it gets the boom out? I have absolutely no problems with subs in my open living room which isn't surrounded by walls or anything but in my smaller bedroom, an enclosed room surrounded by walls, the only sub that seems to be OK is my 100 watts Accoustic Research 108SP. I had to sell my much better Orb Supereight Sub that I bought for the bedroom (200-400 watts) as it was too overpowering especially for an apartment. I wonder if that could have helped it. Oh, well.

fergot... whasa XLR3?
    Yeah, it should help you get the boom out, but you'll have to tune it manually via test tones and meter or with an analyzer of some sort. I use an FFT software audio analyzer, SmaartLive.

The good news for me with the new 2496 unit is that it now has a higher clipping level @ +24 dBu. I might try one of these for live sound now (usually for live sound I use a Sabine PowerQ if I need such a device), the old one was clearly unsuitable @ +15. It could also double as a HiFi eq.

Quote Originally Posted by mixadude
    Yeah, it should help you get the boom out, but you'll have to tune it manually via test tones and meter or with an analyzer of some sort. I use an FFT software audio analyzer, SmaartLive.

The good news for me with the new 2496 unit is that it now has a higher clipping level @ +24 dBu. I might try one of these for live sound now (usually for live sound I use a Sabine PowerQ if I need such a device), the old one was clearly unsuitable @ +15. It could also double as a HiFi eq.
    That's a good point if the new unit has a higher clipping level. That could actually benefit using the BFD as a subwoofer EQ. My sub occasionally bottoms out with high db sounds below about 22 Hz and peaks into the reference level range, and I don't know if the BFD contributes to that or if it distorts the signal during the loudest passages.

fergot... whasa XLR3?
    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    That's a good point if the new unit has a higher clipping level. That could actually benefit using the BFD as a subwoofer EQ. My sub occasionally bottoms out with high db sounds below about 22 Hz and peaks into the reference level range, and I don't know if the BFD contributes to that or if it distorts the signal during the loudest passages.
    I lit the clip lights up on mine (original BFD) driving my 2 Rythmik DirectServo subs. It's running with the switches set for -10, and the subs are set around 1 o'clock on the input atts. I matched the levels with the analyzer. It's possible I was clipping the amps, it was loud enough I couldn't hear myself sing, but the noise that occurred was very apparent so I brought it down 2 dB. Right on the edge. Crystal Method. Never have played it that loud again, but eventually I'll break out a scope and check how loud these subs actually play.

Thread Information