Forum Regular

Need, suggestions receiver + amp

I'm going to buy a receiver soon and so far i've been looking at mainly yamahas rx-v1400, and the new ons about to come out the rx-v650, rx-v750.

Headphone listening is important to me because when everyone is at home sleeping obviously im probably gonna be forced to use my hd580s . I heard the yamahas have a good dsp for simmulated surround through the headphones (silent cinema). But how good is it really?

And does it only work when the headphones are plugged into the headphone jack? I ask this becuz im getting a PPA headphone amp delivered to my house and i heard it doesnt hook up to the headphone jack when you use an amp.

Also can speaker amps be hooked up to the receiver because I may get one ?

Any help is appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by pooface
    I'm going to buy a receiver soon and so far i've been looking at mainly yamahas rx-v1400, and the new ons about to come out the rx-v650, rx-v750.

Headphone listening is important to me because when everyone is at home sleeping obviously im probably gonna be forced to use my hd580s . I heard the yamahas have a good dsp for simmulated surround through the headphones (silent cinema). But how good is it really?

And does it only work when the headphones are plugged into the headphone jack? I ask this becuz im getting a PPA headphone amp delivered to my house and i heard it doesnt hook up to the headphone jack when you use an amp.

Also can speaker amps be hooked up to the receiver because I may get one ?

Any help is appreciated
    I own the RX-V1400. I have never used headphones with it. There is a night mode that does a good job of toning down the effects with out sacrificing the dialogue.

The 1400 has 7.1 pre outs so you could add amp after amp if you wanted.

I have had mine up and running for about two weeks now and I love it so far.

nightflier

Pluggin in the headphone amp

The headphone amp will use RCA connectors which most people will connect to the tape monitor loop on most receivers, although any RCA pair will work. Alternately, you can connect them to your receiver's zone 2 outputs, if you have them. The only drawback is that you will need to turn down or mute the volume on your receiver when using headphones, because unlike the headphone jack on your receiver which has a sensor that will turn off speaker output, the RCA jacks typically don't have such a sensor.

Forum Regular
    Someone said i should get a receiver with component switching. I don't really know what it is...but does the rx-v1400 have it and what exactly is component switching? I might downgrade the receiver to the rx-v650/750 though to get better speakers but havent decided yet.

I own it

Someone said i should get a receiver with component switching. I don't really know what it is...but does the rx-v1400 have it and what exactly is component switching? I might downgrade the receiver to the rx-v650/750 though to get better speakers but havent decided yet.
    I own the RX-V1400 and it does it.
    Component switching allows you to send any input coming into the receiver out to your TV via component cables. There is no upconverting of signal quality, it simply allows you to only connect one set of cables to your TV.

Forum Regular

Smile I'm doing the same thing

I've been looking at the same models your are. I've decided to to go with the 750 because it does have component switching & I plan on getting an HDTV in the next year or two. I've thought about the 1400 but I also need to upgrade a few speakers & don't quite have the budget for it. I figure for the size room & what I'll use it for (mostly HT) the 750 will do fine.

Forum Regular
    Anyone know when the rx-v750 will be out?

Anyone know when the rx-v750 will be out?
    J&R is advertising that model on their website, but for in store sale only (www.jandr.com). I'd suggest you check with your local Yamaha dealer to see if they know an arrival date and/or can order that model for you.

Forum Regular

Talking

I talked with J&R & my local dealer. Both said they expect to be able to order them in about 4-6 weeks. There are more details on the units on Yamaha's website but ne date yet.

EDIT: I recieved an email today from Yamaha, that said the 650 & 750 will be on store shelves next month.
    Last edited by kpzbee; 04-13-2004 at 12:24 PM. Reason: addition

Forum Regular
    do you guys think the sound quality of the 650/750 will be pretty close to the sound quality of the rx-v1400? Because if i get the cheaper models ill have more $$ for speakers

do you guys think the sound quality of the 650/750 will be pretty close to the sound quality of the rx-v1400? Because if i get the cheaper models ill have more $$ for speakers
    I don't see why it wouldn't. Especially since if you get the 1400 you will have to scimp on the speakers.

Thread Information