Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool New york wholesale

Rich in texas just got a new receiver from 5th ave electronics, good for him.
    this company is one of several "new york" companies who used to advertise in the back of various audio/video mags.
    unlike rich I HAVE READ ENOUGH OF SUCH MAGS TO decimate a rainforest,
    and being of modest means I study these ads, at their prices I COULD just barely afford some of the ritzy gear they were selling at beer prices.
    Most were grey market, not intended for this market, therefore no warrenty coverage.
    The instruction manuels were xeroxed because the original wasnt in english.
    And the warrenty, if any, was provided by the seller. THIS IS BASED ON THE theory that
    japanese products are so reliable you wont need a warrenty.
    The only "grey market" Item I got was a camera, an slr from minolta, and it worked quite well, the instruction book was smeared a bit though.
    I just wondered if any on this board have ever gotten a grey market item, intentionally
    or accidentlly, and what are your experiences with them?
    ARE THEY WORTH THE SAVINGS? Are they still an important part of the market?
    I HAVE STUDIED THESE ADS FOREVER, SQUINTING AT THEIR TINY PRINT,
    and was just wondering
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Suspended
    Again, 6th Avenue Electronics based in SPRINGFIELD NEW JERSEY 07081.

From the YAMAHA Website:

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/d...x?CTID=5010030

And plastered all over the 6th Avenue Electronics Home Page:

http://www.6ave.com/shop/Home.aspx

If you need further clarrification, call 877-684-2831.
    Last edited by Rich-n-Texas; 01-27-2008 at 09:32 AM.

Suspended
    I'll tell ya, anybody who can't see this social misfit for who he really is... a social misfit... has some serious sociological shortcomings, IMHO.

6th Avanue Electronics in Springfield, NJ.

I've used them many times, although I just drop by and pick up what I want. As far as I know, they only sell products for which they are authorized dealers.

Within the past ten years, from them I've bought, all NIB with the full manufacturer's garrantee:

DCM-21 speakers in 1998 - around $200?
    a friend's Advent towers (Jade?) for $75/pair in 1999 or so.
    Denon 2802 for $395 in 2002, roughly half price when the 2893's came out.
    my CSW model 88 for full price in 1999, but it was worth it
    Proscan 32" CRT for about $500 in 1990, a very competitive price then.
    Toshiba 32HL66 for $888 in 2006
    Several Toshiba DVD/VCR's for Sunday flyer prices
    Before that, a Mitsubishi 32" CRT in 1990 or so and various VCR's over the years.

Again, all of which were NIB and carried the manufacturer's guarantee. No grey market here.

Woud I buy from them again? Waddaya think?

Oh, I mis-spoke. I actually got my 2802 from their Woodbridge, NJ store.
    Last edited by markw; 01-27-2008 at 01:00 PM.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    I've used them many times, although I just drop by and pick up what I want. As far as I know, they only sell products for which they are authorized dealers.

Within the past ten years, from them I've bought, all NIB with the full manufacturer's garrantee:

DCM-21 speakers in 1998 - around $200?
    a friend's Advent towers (Jade?) for $75/pair in 1999 or so.
    Denon 2802 for $395 in 2002, roughly half price when the 2893's came out.
    my CSW model 88 for full price in 1999, but it was worth it
    Proscan 32" CRT for about $500 in 1990, a very competitive price then.
    Several Toshiba DVD/VCR's for Sunday flyer prices
    Before that, a Mitsubishi 32" CRT in 1990 or so and various VCR's over the years.

Again, all of which were NIB and carried the manufacturer's guarantee. No grey market here.

Woud I buy from them again? Waddaya think?

Oh, I mis-spoke. I actually got my 2802 from their Woodbridge, NJ store.

Thats good to know.

But I was wondering also if anybody had ever bought grey market before, and what
    their experience was.
    Dont understand why Rich is so pissed, so I got the name wrong.
    But some looking for bargains might like to chance the grey market.
    I was just wondering if we had anybody with the experience of buying this way,
    was it good or bad?
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Forum Regular
    I have purchased over 10 grand of electronics from 6ave over the years , there is nothing wrong with them . they are reputable company and just recently expanded into long island where my parents live, i am in nyc , so now I cant save the tax because before they were ony in NJ

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    Thats good to know.

But I was wondering also if anybody had ever bought grey market before, and what
    their experience was.
    No offense, but some of your posts DO come off as a subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) attempt to slam another poster or at least try make them look foolish. This was one of them.

Unless that's your intent, perhaps you might want to re-read your posts before hitting that "submit" button or at leat re-read them fromthe target's POV after posting. You can always edit as you see fit. I do that all the time.

was it good or bad?
    That I can't help you with, but realize that it's a gamble and just because someone else wins or loses, there's no guarantee you'll have the same results.

Perhaps you might be better off asking who has had good results with grey market goods and from whom they purchased them?

Suspended
    No offense, but some of your posts DO come off as a subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) attempt to slam another poster or at least try make them look foolish. This was one of them.
    One of millions. That's just how his personality works. Here's a post of his from another thread:
    (slamming hand in refrigerator door)
    PLEASE! I'm trying to play nice!
    This was in response to my self-deprecating humor directed at myself. So why are you trying to play nice anyway pix? Get a message from a mod?

Unless that's your intent, perhaps you might want to re-read your posts before hitting that "submit" button or at leat re-read them fromthe target's POV after posting. You can always edit as you see fit. I do that all the time.
    And that button is called "Preview Post" I use it quite often because it gives me a second chance to ensure that what I'm thinking equates to what I'm typing. I also use it to check spelling, make sure my quotes are set up right and pictures show up correctly. I don't hold out too much hope for him though.

That I can't help you with, but realize that it's a gamble and just because someone else wins or loses, there's no guarantee you'll have the same results.

Perhaps you might be better off asking who has had good results with grey market goods and from whom they purchased them?
    Amen brother. You just never know, but I'm glad I have the assurance from the dealer AND manufacturer that both will stand behind their product and the sale.

Suspended
    And the state wrong.

I wasn't pissed. What are you talking about? Sometimes I just like to make my posts stand out is all. Why are you getting your panties in a wad?
    was it good or bad?
    Hmmmm... Are you now backing off of your previous assumptions about 6ave? And what's this "we" sh!t? You got a rat in your pocket?

I'd love to get the receiver Tex. got...... but I'm out of gold-stars from the Wife, and I need to be happy for the Mains, Stands, Center, Surrounds, and PS3, all aquired within the last 3-4 months...... I think I've spent my fair share of our kid's college fund lately, so I better chill out for awhile!!!!!!! (Although that Receiver would make those speakers sing......... and a new T.V. would really show-off that Blu-Ray player..... and some more movies..... gotta start replacing the whole collection on Blu-Ray.......) haha~

Suspended
    And a new left front speaker to replace the one you left on the front porch...

well.... that's my own fault for not watching the weather channel!!!!!!!

I just need a new house with dedicated home-theater!!! I don't want to turn a bedroom into a home theater, and the basement is finished, but echos etc.... and would be an accoustical nightmare (if I didn't pump $5K into it) The bedrooms are too small for Home Theater in my opinion..... although a dedicated watching room would be nice. besides, I couldn't use the kid's room, and the other room is my closet, so it would be do-able, but I don't want to go that route. I only have a 3 BR..... time to UPGRADE!!! ha!!

Forum Regular

Too bad this post on 6th Ave didn't happen three or four months ago. I would have saved $50...

I bought a Toshiba 37HL67 from Crutchfield for $949. This was $200 (plus $66 in tax) cheaper than I could do locally. I could have gotten it from 6th Ave for $899. I didn't use them because I wasn't familiar with them (different geographical region) and knew that Crutchfield's customer service / exchange / return was great. I've since read about 6th Ave on several forums and no one has ever had any issues. I won't hesitate to order from them in the future. Had we a 6th Ave in the area I would driven over and picked it up myself.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by notphilmitchell

Too bad this post on 6th Ave didn't happen three or four months ago. I would have saved $50...

I bought a Toshiba 37HL67 from Crutchfield for $949. This was $200 (plus $66 in tax) cheaper than I could do locally. I could have gotten it from 6th Ave for $899. I didn't use them because I wasn't familiar with them (different geographical region) and knew that Crutchfield's customer service / exchange / return was great. I've since read about 6th Ave on several forums and no one has ever had any issues. I won't hesitate to order from them in the future. Had we a 6th Ave in the area I would driven over and picked it up myself.
    Crutch charges full retail, wont save anything there.
    As for "target" I don't have a target, its just that Rich's experience with a New York company got me to thinking about the grey market, which is primarily an invention of certain new york import companies.
    And I was wondering about experiences anyone might have had with such a company,
    Had nothing to do with rich really.
    So don't talk about how my "brain" works rich, at least it does.
    And they might not do it now, but I am sure that 6th ave has offered grey market in the past, and nothing wrong with that , you keep thinking grey is a bad thing.
    My one experience with this weird way of buying things worked out quite well,
    actually
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

now, pixie, this sounds like sour grapes to me.

And they might not do it now, but I am sure that 6th ave has offered grey market in the past...
    You could have easily made your points and left this out.

I'm sure you can prove this assertion, right? If not, then you've defamed an innocent party.

And you wonder why people don't respect your contributions here?

Like I've said, I've been purchasing from them for about twenty years now...
    Last edited by markw; 01-29-2008 at 06:06 AM.

Forum Regular
    Crutch charges full retail, wont save anything there.

Crutchfield's catalog prices are almost always MSRP. They will run online specials but do some online comparisons and call them. There are always Crutchfield coupon codes available- do a search for them. On my television purchase, the most recent catalog price was $1199 (the local dealer would go $1149 [which I believe was the new MSRP]). They say they don't price match but get them on the phone and they will "find" some promo code or the like to make the sale- especially if you mention "well, I thought I'd give you guys a call before I ordered from xyz company".

Another example- I bought a Toshiba HD-DVD A2 player from them the first week of December for $109 (shipped) after I got a sales rep on the phone and told him I wanted to buy one with the TV but was waiting for the Black Friday sales.

Cool

You could have easily made your points and left this out.

I'm sure you can prove this assertion, right? If not, then you've defamed an innocent party.

And you wonder why people don't respect your contributions here?

Like I've said, I've been purchasing from them for about twenty years now...
    DEFAMED? Are you looped? HOW IS THE ASSERTION THAT THEY USED TO SELL GREY MARKET A DEFAMATION?
    Whats wrong with grey market? Its a way for some with more limited means to get a really good deal without having to resort to open box.
    I have bought grey market before, and was wondering about the experience of others
    is all, your reaction is a little over the top. don't you think?
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

That depends

DEFAMED? Are you looped? HOW IS THE ASSERTION THAT THEY USED TO SELL GREY MARKET A DEFAMATION?
    Well. some people don't want to buy grey market. By putting the apparently false idea that they did most certainly casts aspirations on their integrity.

Whats wrong with grey market? Its a way for some with more limited means to get a really good deal without having to resort to open box
    And it's also a gamble should service be needed while under the factory's warranty period..

I have bought grey market before, and was wondering about the experience of others
    Good for you! apparently you got lucky. As I said in a previous post here, you could have easily left the reference to 6th avenue out and still conveyed your point adequately.

your reaction is a little over the top. don't you think?
    I guess that depends on how willing one is to accept lies. My tolerance is quite low while your propensity for telling truth seems to run at about the same level.

Remember, you opened that can of worms by wondering here why RnT (and others) treats you like they do. Consider this a continuation of that answer, only using examples provided by you.

And you say you have a master's degree? I guess ethics wasn't covered at any of the schools you attended. .
    Last edited by markw; 01-30-2008 at 05:10 AM.

Suspended
    Rich in texas just got a new receiver from 5th ave electronics, good for him.
    this company is one of several "new york" companies who used to advertise in the back of various audio/video mags.
    unlike rich I HAVE READ ENOUGH OF SUCH MAGS TO decimate a rainforest,
    and being of modest means I study these ads, at their prices I COULD just barely afford some of the ritzy gear they were selling at beer prices.
    Most were grey market, not intended for this market, therefore no warrenty coverage.
    The instruction manuels were xeroxed because the original wasnt in english.
    And the warrenty, if any, was provided by the seller. THIS IS BASED ON THE theory that
    japanese products are so reliable you wont need a warrenty.
    Whats wrong with grey market?
    This is the same stunt Melvin tried to pull. Clearly you idiot the intent in your first idiotic post is to make me look bad by drawing the picture that buying anything from 6ave is stupid, thus I'm stupid. Then you try to back out after EVERYONE has proven you wrong by your second post. And why the "are you looped" remark? You don't have friends. It's not likely you even have a wife and kids. They'd get so fed up with your shtick they'd shoot you.

Aging Smartass
    I used to sell dbx product to 6th Ave. in the late 80's, and can state unequivocally, that, at the time, they were an extremely dishonest and unreputable retailer. The dbx products we sold them were primarily those that were discontinued that we were dumping at very low prices in order to get rid of.

At one point, we were dumping a dbx VHS VCR, made for dbx by NEC. 6th Ave bought a ton of them, and used them to sell against the NEC unit (they weren't an authorized NEC dealer) at a much lower price than the NEC unit sold for. Once NEC dropped their own prices, 6th Ave claimed that they "couldn't sell" the dbx unit, and then sent everything back to us. Bascially, they were the "deal of the week" sort of retailer.

6th Ave was a dealer that often did something called "trans-shipping." For example, they weren't a Denon dealer, yet they always advertised Denon products at lowball prices in their ads, and while they rarely ever had that Denon piece in stock, when they did, it came from a legitimate Denon dealer who "trans-shipped" it to them. Then, they used the classic "bait and switch" routine to sell the unwary customer something else.

That was a long time ago, and it would appear that they've certainly cleaned up their image since. As they are a legitimate Yamaha dealer, I'd have to think so, as Yamaha is very discretionary in selecting its retailers.

Quote Originally Posted by emaidel
    I used to sell dbx product to 6th Ave. in the late 80's, and can state unequivocally, that, at the time, they were an extremely dishonest and unreputable retailer. The dbx products we sold them were primarily those that were discontinued that we were dumping at very low prices in order to get rid of.

At one point, we were dumping a dbx VHS VCR, made for dbx by NEC. 6th Ave bought a ton of them, and used them to sell against the NEC unit (they weren't an authorized NEC dealer) at a much lower price than the NEC unit sold for. Once NEC dropped their own prices, 6th Ave claimed that they "couldn't sell" the dbx unit, and then sent everything back to us. Basically, they were the "deal of the week" sort of retailer.

6th Ave was a dealer that often did something called "trans-shipping." For example, they weren't a Denon dealer, yet they always advertised Denon products at lowball prices in their ads, and while they rarely ever had that Denon piece in stock, when they did, it came from a legitimate Denon dealer who "trans-shipped" it to them. Then, they used the classic "bait and switch" routine to sell the unwary customer something else.

That was a long time ago, and it would appear that they've certainly cleaned up their image since. As they are a legitimate Yamaha dealer, I'd have to think so, as Yamaha is very discretionary in selecting its retailers.
    The late 70's and ear;y/mid eighties was a traumatic time for audio. The golden age was well on the wane and the market was pretty sell saturated with stores that tried every which way to entice customers into their grasp. the only real salvation came when "surround sound" started to rear it's head and the hardware market started with new innovations. Some fine audio was there (NAD, Adcom and a few others) but, on the whole a lot of the mainstream stereo manufactures produced BPC disappointments.

As for buying and selling discontinued goods, well, that was pretty common and a great way for the consumer to get a lot of performance for low dollars. As for that dbx/NEC debacle, while a bit underhanded, I'm surprised that NEC would take those as returns.

The bait and switch is something for which I can see no excuse but, in those days it was a madhouse. The discount electronics stores killed Tech Hi Fi and the other specialty stores by now and were turning on each other. Remember Crazy Eddie? There was a reason his prices were insane. Demand low prices. immediate delivery, demand early payment discounts, and then pay late anyway. Also, inflating inventory on the financials helps a bit, too.

Dbx was caught in it's own problems, mostly due to bad timing, IMNSHO. Their NR system was, IMHO, far superior than Dolby B but was a day late and a dollar short in hitting the market. When they hit, all cassette recorders had Dolby B as a standard and they were touting dbx an an audiophile alternative and it just might have worked. One fly in that ointment is that you can't play a dbx encoded tape on a machine without dbx. Doing that with Dolby B just tilts the high end up a little. Also, they were just starting to make a foothold in the vinyl market using their NR system. I heard one demo and was suitably impressed. That's just about when CD's hit the market and interest in vinyl dropped drastically. Oh well,,, Just more bad timing.

After that, I recall seeing their wares for sale through DAK, but I hope they just sold the name and someone else simply tacked it onto their own products, mostly speakers IIRC. Actually, I still have one of their passive subs from DAK that my wife surprised me with around 1990 or so. I used it with a pair of Minimus 7's and it worked quite well in that application.

One question, though. Sixth Ave has been a presence in Jersey for maybe twenty years or so. There's a new chain starting up within he past few years, Expo, and their advertising, marketing and store layout make them almost indistinguishable from 6th Avenue, albeit a bit smaller.

From your sources in the business, can you tell if the two companies are related? My spidey sense tells me they are.
    Last edited by markw; 01-30-2008 at 06:47 AM.

Angry

Well. some people don't want to buy grey market. By putting the apparently false idea that they did most certainly casts aspirations on their integrity.

Why is trying to save customers money a bad thing?

And it's also a gamble should service be needed while under the factory's warranty period..

If the company is as good as they say then it shouldnt be a problem

Good for you! apparently you got lucky. As I said in a previous post here, you could have easily left the reference to 6th avenue out and still conveyed your point adequately.

The reference to 6th av was because thats where rich got his receiver.
    In this site populated by nothing but delusional paranoid idiots who get riled at the least thing? 6th ave isnt the Vatican, dillweed, its an electronics company.
    I am flattered that you think I hold the power to drive them out of business by even the
    slightest mention of anything untoward (which is in YOUR mind) but I AM AFRAID MY POWERS ARE LIMITED to being a lighting rod for vicious brain dead idiots
    who get pissed at the slightest thing. If this company (which you probably work for)
    is as good as you say then I thinlk they'll surive

I guess that depends on how willing one is to accept lies. My tolerance is quite low while your propensity for telling truth seems to run at about the same level.

I may be disinformed on occasion but listen closely ... I DO NOT LIE.
    Your last strike, dont say that again, reserve your vicioiusness for someone else

Remember, you opened that can of worms by wondering here why RnT (and others) treats you like they do. Consider this a continuation of that answer, only using examples provided by you.

The reason Rich and others "treat me like they do"" is that most are as dense as english fog, and take insult at even the littlest joke, and god help you if you say anything bad about their equipment!
    For instance I just asked a simple question about grey market, and all of a sudden I am a liar or worse, because I mearly suggested that 6th ave once dabbled in grey market.
    OVEREACTION that is typical of a lot on this site

And you say you have a master's degree? I guess ethics wasn't covered at any of the schools you attended.

I NEVER SAID that I have a masters degree, but I SEE you have one,
    A masterbation degree, most likely, and I will say this only once,
    DONT CAST DOUBT ON MY ETHICS.
    And try to calm down a little okay? I know idiots like you take life too seriously ,
    BUT YOU'RE ABUSING THE PRIVILIGE
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Pix, I'll say whatever the hell I want to say to whoever I want.

Why should I, or anyone else, care about what we say about you or what you think about us? Hey, you asked questions here and I answered them. IIRC, quite politely and with no hostility, but still you had to persist in twisting things around to suit your own agenda.

If you don't want answers, don't ask the friggin' question.

You're a rude, loudmouthed, buffoon who doesn't care a whit about what you say or to who you say it. You word your statements to inflict maximum damage on your chosen target. If you kept your posting to the subject matter at hand and didn't try to throw digs at other posters you might get a better reception. Face it, you can't joke around, You have to draw blood.

You think claiming you made a mistake when you make disparaging remarks over and over, twisting facts, or alluding to things that aren't so allows you to say whatever you want without any consequences? That's like the "No offense, but your momma is a ho" stuff kids played in grade school. Like the "no offense" makes it all right..

Sorry, in my book that's called a liar. Deal with it.

And, as far as ethics go, don't discuss things about which you have no concept. Again, deal with it.

After all, everything is here in black and white for anyone to see where it's coming from. Your actions in this thread have done nothing to bolster your points, but sure illustrated mine.

Happy now?
    Last edited by markw; 01-31-2008 at 05:10 AM.

Aging Smartass
    Wow! I've been very surprised at how childish and insulting most of Pixelthis's posts have been, and you put him in his place very succinctly. Good for you!

Insofar as your previous post, I have a few comments. For one, dbx had a great many more problems than just bad timing. Their noise reduction system was the best out there, but the incompatibility issue was one reason for the lack of popularity. The other was more business-like: the licensing fee was ridiculously expensive, and fewer and fewer companies chose to pay it.

dbx-encoded records were impressive indeed, and were available many years before the advent of CD, but they were expensive ($15 as compared to about $5 for an "ordinary" record) and were mostly obscure titles from equally obscure artists. When I joined the company in 1983, there was talk of having a dbx-encoded version of The Police's "Synchronicity." Unfortunately, it was only talk, and never materialized.

BSR had no business purchasing dbx in the early 80's as the two companies were polar opposites in terms of marketing, but dbx was no innocent player either. Outrageous amounts of R&D were exhausted in the development of the Soundfield 1 speaker, and no amount of sales would ever be able to recover such expenses. dbx personnel believed that speaker to be the very best speaker - ever, anywhere, etc. - and it just plain wasn't.

The association with DAK was one BSR had, and after the dbx consumer line was sold to Carillon Technology Inc. (CTI), they (CTI) systematically brought the company to its knees and readily had dbx product made for DAK. None of that product came remotely close to the quality of previous dbx-manufactured product.

Lastly, you have no idea how really crooked Crazy Eddie was!

Suspended
    Pix, I'll say whatever the hell I want to say to whoever I want.
    That's more like it Jersey boy! Don't mess with us Yank's!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information