AR Newbie Registered Member

New TV for under $1000?

I'm thinking of getting my girlfriend a new TV and was wondering if this would be worth it with a budget of $800-$1000? She would be using this 100% for DVD watching (she doesn't even have cable) so a widescreen would be nice. Anyone have any recommendations? I would prefer LCD/Flat panel, but doubt they go that cheap. Direct-view is alright as well and 34"+, if feasible. Thanks.

Forum Regular
    I acually bought my bigscreen from Wal-Mart. I know its walmart but I have seen the same TV I have at Best-buy, audioexpress, and Zelners. Its a Philips 51" Widescreen HD compatiable. I love it, its great and I spent on $999 on it brand new. (P.S. walmart can be talked down)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal28
    I'm thinking of getting my girlfriend a new TV and was wondering if this would be worth it with a budget of $800-$1000? She would be using this 100% for DVD watching (she doesn't even have cable) so a widescreen would be nice. Anyone have any recommendations? I would prefer LCD/Flat panel, but doubt they go that cheap. Direct-view is alright as well and 34"+, if feasible. Thanks.
    Try this website for more information.

www.projectorcentral.com

Happy Holidays!

Forum Regular
    I've seen a Toshiba 51 inch (51H84) at Best Buy for $999. It's an older model, so it's been clearanced priced. I'd go that route over the Philips, because there are a few less features (no screen shield, picture in picture) than Toshiba, Sony, Hitachi. Speaking of Hitachi, Circuit City is advertising an Aspect, which is made by Hitachi, for $999. It's really about what her needs are. If she has no kids, screen shield is not really necessary. Also, I think the Philips has a built-in HD tuner, which could come in handy since she doesn't have cable. On the other side, if all she's gonna be doing is movie watching, an HD tuner wouldn't make any difference.

Forum Regular
    By the way, JD06, almost bought that Philips. Seems like a bang for the buck tv. Couldn't risk the no screen shield thing with the kids, though. Ended up getting the Toshiba, which should be arriving soon.

Forum Regular
    You know, the funny thing is I bought that about 1 month before my boy was born. I guess I'm going to regret that lol

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JD06
    You know, the funny thing is I bought that about 1 month before my boy was born. I guess I'm going to regret that lol
    OOPS!

Thread Information