Forum Regular

Help with new h/t

Hey my old h/t was:

Philips 51" Widescreen
    Sony STR-DE915
    KHL center
    pol audio tower
    JBL 10"

Now that I have sold that about a week ago I am missing a H/T. So I went a purchased a Yamaha HTR-5730SL 5.1-Channel. Because I have had some speakers given to me and that is about all I could afford. So now I will begin saving for a better one.

I am acually looking at a Harman Kardon AVR-240. I have not acually heard any harman kardon. Im acually kind of new at this. I have heard Harman Kardon recievers have better SQ than Denon.

I'm really trying to get opions on what speakers I should go with. For the sub I am looking at the JBL Northridge E Series E250P. If you would like the help thanks!

BTW, price range doesnt matter, this is something I will be getting a little at a time. As long as i'm not spending 2,000 on a center speaker lol.

Forum Regular
    BTW another question i have is, is a projector have as good as quality as a projection tv? Im sure it depends on what you get. Never seen one in someones house...... Almost would like to get one once I build a house.

Actually, people have and will pay $2k for a center speaker, so a more definitive budget will help get better responses. If your plan is to buy bit by bit, then do you plan to purchase stereo speakers first and go from there? If so, then, with a specific budget in mind, you should visit high end audio stores (not Best Buy) and audition those speakers that fit your budget, while keeping in mind to select speaker lines that have a matching center which you can get sometime down the line.

Forum Regular
    Sorry for that.

I have a yamaha 5.1 dolby digital being shipped to me which should be here dec 30. I plan on purchasing the Harman Kardon LAST. So I can run everything off the yamaha for now. Here is a budget.... Im looking for SQ more than anything. I like war/action movies so i would love a good subwoofer. I also like a variety of music.. but here you go...

Subwoofer - $600 or less
    Center speaker - $300 or less
    front speakers - $800 or less (pair)
    tower speakers - $800 or less (pair)

Now just a little more would not be a problem.. These are internet prices, I know you can find a $800 subwoofer sold in stores for $600 on the internet.. so if that helps at all? Im new to home theaters so any help or opinons would be great. Hope this helps better! Thanks

Wait a second. You have a Yamaha AVR on the way and your planning on replacing it with a HK? Why not drop the HK and use that money towards better speakers?

Forum Regular
    Because I heard the HK has alot better SQ and my wife wouldnt let me get it for right now. I got some money for christmas so i purchased that one. Didnt have any extra to spare at the moment. It could be a little bit. Its a Yamaha HTR-5730SL btw

Quote Originally Posted by JD06
    Because I heard the HK has alot better SQ and my wife wouldnt let me get it for right now. I got some money for christmas so i purchased that one. Didnt have any extra to spare at the moment. It could be a little bit. Its a Yamaha HTR-5730SL btw
    You should be the judge of that yourself.

If you want better SQ, it's the speakers thats gonna give it to ya. Trust me, I've wasted enough money to know.

Forum Regular
    Yea but I have not seen a Harman Kardon around the area I live. Also im looking for something more than a 5.1 thats another reason for the HK. Do you have any opinons on speakers? I've been some places and listened to a few speakers. I just wanted some opinons so I can find them and listen to them.

I figured I would get more advanced opinons on here than a guy at the store just trying to sell me something. We have a jbl/kicker/alpine dealer around here and most of it is car audio...

we have other places but they are about an hour away..

Oh yeah, check out this link for some excellent speaker recommendations.

Best Bang for the Buck Speakers?

Yea but I have not seen a Harman Kardon around the area I live. Also im looking for something more than a 5.1 thats another reason for the HK. Do you have any opinons on speakers? I've been some places and listened to a few speakers. I just wanted some opinons so I can find them and listen to them.

I figured I would get more advanced opinons on here than a guy at the store just trying to sell me something. We have a jbl/kicker/alpine dealer around here and most of it is car audio...

we have other places but they are about an hour away..
    Paul already said it, but I'll repeat. Find a high end store in your area and start listenin. If you have a Magnolia HT inside your local Best Buy that could be a place to start also. Take a CD that your very familiar with, with you. The hour drive is worth it. Look for brands such as Mirage, Boston, Klispch, Energy, Paradigm.......the list goes on and on. When you here what your looking for you'll know. Also the best place to audition speakers is at home.

As far as the AVR thing goes, I'd just keep the Yammy for now. You said you already got some free speakers, so take your time and do it right the first time around.

... my wife wouldnt let me get it ....
    Everytime i read something like this i shudder and wonder if i should ever get married

Quote Originally Posted by bjornb17
    Everytime i read something like this i shudder and wonder if i should ever get married
    Don't trip, I've invested alot into my HT and my wife supports me 100%.

Forum Regular
    lol you got lucky, shes in the middle of going to school and im the only one working.. so thats why. other than that she wouldnt care.. thanks for you help tho

You'd just be pee-pee'ing your money away by replacing that Yamaha with an H/K. Get some speakers.

lol you got lucky, shes in the middle of going to school and im the only one working.. so thats why. other than that she wouldnt care.. thanks for you help tho
    Another great reason for you to be patient. It may take longer, but you'll benefit more in the long run.

Hey Nab,

pee pee'ing your money away huh, I'm gonna haveta use that one. LOL

Thread Information