Forum Regular

new tv questions

I'm in the market for a new hdtv any suggestions. I'm not sure to go with a tube, lcd or dlp. can anyone help

maddi,

What criteria matter to you--price, black level, color accuracy, size? Give me a sense of your priorities, and I'll be happy to make a few general comments.

Ed

Suspended
    What size screen you want will be a big factor in which technology to go with. If 36" or less, I haven't seen any picture better than the Sony widescreen tube. If you want larger, I personally think the best dollar to performance is from DLP, DLP is better than the older style rear projectors and less expensive than LCD, Plasma or even DiLa. I personally didn't see that much of a difference between Dila and DLP. I bought a 61" DLP for the price of a smaller JVC DiLa. Some will argue that the old rear projector technology is just as good as DLP in HDTV but I don't agree, my Toshiba DLP kills my mom's new Mitsubishi 55" old tech in picture quality. But, of course, her TV cost about $1,300.00 and mine cost well over $3k, so one could easily overlook a few imperfections to save that kind of money. I'd recommend your TV having at least one HDMI input, it looks like that is theconnection of the future even though it is a big disappointment at this point.

Do some looking around there are some cool TV's out there. Samsung has a very Hi-Tech looking DLP that is on a pedestal with touch controls built into the pedestal, I thought it was cool. Another consideration is placement of the TV, whether you wanted to try wall mounting, stand placement or do you have room for the old style rear projection with it's heavy weight and mass. My 61" only weighs 86 pounds, I think that's less than my 32" Sony tube. Also tubes and some of the newer technologies seem to be more forgiving in a bright room. But many of todays TV's have various picture settings to help compensate for the type of room light.

I hope this helps some, if not, no charge.

Thread Information