• 08-09-2006, 08:34 PM
    davenl
    New SVS pb12-NSD and Pioneer VSX-1016TXV
    Just finished setting up everything and I'm really impressed thus far. I'm digitally dumb so I'm sure there's room for improvement in the way I have things configured. The SVS sub can definitely rattle the walls! I can only hope that I'll have time to enjoy my new toys as I am well aware my wife's "honey do list" is growing as I type.

There are some things I don't grasp yet but in time they will be fixed. I ran the MCACC right off the bat and then popped in Jurassic Park...wow! I noticed that the surrounds (5.1 system) weren't very loud so I cranked them up all the way which gave the movie the total surround sound it was lacking. I was wondering why I had to make such a drastic change as the speakers are about 4 1/2 feet behind and 4 feet to each side of the couch pointed diagonally in. I have a spl meter and a Avia disk, so maybe I'll try to run the speakers and sub through that program and see if helps. I used new 14 gauge wire and the longest run is only 43 feet so that should not be an issue. I dashed off to the kitchen for a glass of water and could feel the vibration from the T-REX's yelling coming out the cupboard :) !!

All in all, I'm very very happy thus far. I'm glad I bought the sub and receiver and look forward to a long list of movies and cd's, (haven't played any music yet). I wish my Pioneer 533 hd had hdmi but that will be down the road. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Dave
  • 08-09-2006, 09:50 PM
    paul_pci
    Two comments:

1. Definitely calibrate system with spl meter and Avia disc, but I suppose ultimately your listening taste should reign supreme.
    2. Many people are under the impression that sound from the rear speakers should be just as loud as the front speakers but that is not the case. Rear speakers transmit ambient sounds and effect sounds whereas the majority of the audio information goes through the front three speakers for movies. I would be cautious about how much you want to turn up the rear speakers as you may end up drowning out or muddying the audio from the front sound field.

Two P.S.'s

1. Congrats on new toys. Enjoy
    2 Where the hell is colusa?
  • 08-10-2006, 03:28 AM
    likeitloud
    Welcome to AR. I own the VSX1015TX, and found after initial set-up, use manual
    speaker set-up on the on-screen display/with your SPL meter. As a starting point
    set all speakers to small and sub crossover to 80db. Then do your tuning from
    there. Remember, do not downplay speaker placement, unfortunately, my living
    room is the sound room, so there is only small changes I can make. Use the EQ
    and custom settings to help with any shortcomings. Good Luck.

Pioneer VSX1015TX
    Rotel RB 1080
    Definitive Technology ProSub 200TL
    JBL 4344 Studio Monitors(Front)
    JBL L 19 (Surrounds)
    JBL Cinema Vison CVCEN50 Center
    JBL Northridge Satellites(Back Channel)
    Pioneer Elite DV45A DVDA/SACD
    Panasonic DVD F86K
    Sony RCD W500C CD PLAYER/REC
    Pioneer GR-777 Graphic Equalizer
    AR Interconnects
    Cobalt 14G Wire
    Sanus Stands
    XBOX 360
  • 08-10-2006, 04:03 AM
    kexodusc
    I spent 2 days with the VSX-1015tx and found it to be very competent.

One thing I'll mention - I've measured several brands of "auto-setup" (YPAO, MCACC, etc) and the one thing I've found them to be consistent with, is accurate SPL and distance readings for speakers (subwoofers are another matter). I can say with no reservation or doubt that they are more accurate than a $50 SPL meter and measuring tape. Often the microphone units in the SPL meters are extremely inexpensive - the receiver microphones could be dirt cheap and still 3 or 4 times the quality.
    Especially my trusty old Radio Shack meter.

The catch with auto-setupis, positioning the little microphone in at the proper angle (usually perpendicular) and not on a reflective surface (that's why tripods work best, but how many people really move their furniture to setup a tripod?). Sometimes house noise skews results, and what you think is the sweet spot isn't...so a few iterations might be required.

Paul_pci was right on both accounts - surround speakers generally are much more quiet than the rest, and your listening preference over rule convention.

Manually set the speakers to small, the crossover to 80 Hz, and go from there...
  • 08-10-2006, 06:00 AM
    likeitloud
    Whats up kex, That receiver has served well so far, thanks for the reassurance.
    I use vintage JBL's, and listen to rock/metal (when the wife's outta here) and it
    has no problems/clipping issues after hours of loud volumns. For $360, it holds
    it's own. After being with AR for awhile, I knew adding an amp would only
    improve performance, and it sure did!

Pioneer VSX1015TX
    Rotel RB 1080
    Definitive Technology ProSub 200TL
    JBL 4344 Studio Monitors(Front)
    JBL L 19 (Surrounds)
    JBL Cinema Vison CVCEN50 Center
    JBL Northridge Satellites(Back Channel)
    Pioneer Elite DV45A DVDA/SACD
    Panasonic DVD F86K
    Sony RCD W500C CD PLAYER/REC
    Pioneer GR-777 Graphic Equalizer
    AR Interconnects
    Cobalt 14G Wire
    Sanus Stands
    XBOX 360
  • 08-10-2006, 06:39 AM
    kexodusc
    Quote:

Originally Posted by likeitloud
    Whats up kex, That receiver has served well so far, thanks for the reassurance.
    I use vintage JBL's, and listen to rock/metal (when the wife's outta here) and it
    has no problems/clipping issues after hours of loud volumns. For $360, it holds
    it's own. After being with AR for awhile, I knew adding an amp would only
    improve performance, and it sure did!

Yeah, your big Rotel there wouldn't hurt. $360 for that unit is crazy. The way everyone else seems to be raising receiver prices, Pioneer has a real opportunity here to win back some customers, and re-establish some reputation among the audio/ht enthusiasts.
    My last visit to BestBuy, the kid responsible for the receivers said that they were the worst units they had - and recommended Sony or an entry level Yamaha (HTR-5840?) over it. I could have clocked him one...Sometimes I wonder if distributing electronics through large chains like BB without demanding some level of staff competency doesn't hurt things more than help.
  • 08-10-2006, 08:11 AM
    davenl
    Thanks for all of your replys. I have my equiptment listed in my information but can't figure out how to display it with my message so you can see what speakers I'm using. Guess I'll type it in this time. All speakers are set to small and crossover is 80. I realize the surrounds are for effects but I could barely hear the rain and other sounds until I turned them up. I also turned down the fronts and center 3db's and it seemed to balance out the system. Maybe the accoustics in my living room are terrible but to my bad hearing it sounds good...........my wife says it sounds great. Funny how my wife and daughters like to listen to movies at normal volume......how can you enjoy surround sound without kicking it up a few notches?

Paul_Pci

Gee, I thought everybody knows where the "thriving metropolis of the Sacramento Valley" is ha ha! We're about 65 miles north of Sac on I 5 (right at Williams) then 9 miles east on hwy 20. Another 20 plus miles on Hwy 20 and you'd be in Yuba City. Guess we're considered a poke out town....poke your head out the window and your out of town!

Kexodusc

I'm with you. Seems the polls are split as to which is best, the spl route or with the recievers auto setup. Guess it soesn't matter much in my case because I'll more than likely have to alter the final results anyway. I'll probably try it just for comparison sake. While I'm at it, think I'll see what the EQ settings are all about.

Thanks to all

Dave

Pioneer 533hd
    Infinity IL40 fronts
    Infinity IL36C center
    Infinity IL10 surrounds
    Pioneer VSX-1016TXV
  • 08-10-2006, 08:12 AM
    likeitloud
    Yea, there all into the music, not the gear. One time I asked about interconnects
    and the guy points me to cell phones, WTF. Pioneer gets a bad rap on durability
    issues, since 1980, I've never had an amp/receiver of theirs in the shop, unlike a
    couple others I've owned. I think there pretty good on there mid level units, as there
    very easy to set up and tune, it helps a beginner, then they can move up. I will
    definetly be in line for their new 07 elite flagship coming up in feb (according
    to pioneer). Take it easy.