Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications

Oops

Quote Originally Posted by douglasbjordan
    According to the 2805 instruction book on Denon's site, it comes with an omnidirectional microphone. However, the book also contains instructions on how to use any microphone you want to perform the autosetup.
    My apologies, it appears I may have confused the 2805 with the 3805? I do know the dealer told me mics were optional and they just happened to sell quality mics in addition to the Denon unit....

Quote Originally Posted by datarush
    I just got a 5790 set up but haven't really stressed it yet. I plan on a new thread once I get it working on all thrusters. So far it is promising, but I must say that the instructions for onscreen menus and controlling 3rd party components must've been translated first to Russian and then English from the Japanese? as they are as obscure as hell. I mean really they could've done better. That plus those operations aren't primay functions of any of the remotes buttons make it harder than it should.
    It certainly appears well built. I studied/compared it with the RX-V1400 and V2400 and it matches specs with the 1400. The backs are identical far as I can tell. I'm not sure which aesthetic I like best; the 5790 is more upfront while the 1400 has elegance. At my local Best Buy the 5790 is their top dog while Good Guys have the 1400 and 2400. I bought mine elsewhere.
    Yamaha's manuals and onscreen menus were never their strongsuit (IMO, Onkyo and h/k have always been more user friendly in this regard), but if you want cryptic, try a Denon on for size (the manual for my Denon DVD player almost needs a codebreaker to get a straight answer, and setup menus for that are pretty lousy).

The 5790 I assume is the equivalent of the 1400 underneath, but the front panel looks totally different. In years past, the HTR models used identical face plates (except that the HTR models used yellow lettering rather than white), but I guess Yamaha's now trying to further differentiate the two lines. The only real differences were typically a feature or two, and maybe a different remote. The HTR line goes to mass merchandising stores and mail order sites, while the RX-V line is for specialty retailers. Good Guys carries everything up to their flagship RX-Z9 model (which lists for $4,400), while indeed the HTR lineup stops at the 5790.

Forum Regular
    Wooch, I believe the 5790 is a 1400 in HTR skin a opposed to RXV skin. I think so because it is the only receiver besides 1400/2400 to offer a graphic EQ on all the channels and not just the center channels ala the 750/650.

5790 pic

Before I bought one I went to the Yamaha site and put up a screen of its specs alongside the 1400 and there's no apparent difference. It even has the same weight. I haven't run a whole lot of sound through it yet but scenes from Blue Crush and the Matrix sounded really good. I think the YPAO adjusted the lower end as it seemed much improved.

Quote Originally Posted by nick4433
    Wooch, I believe the 5790 is a 1400 in HTR skin a opposed to RXV skin. I think so because it is the only receiver besides 1400/2400 to offer a graphic EQ on all the channels and not just the center channels ala the 750/650.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Htr-5790 = Rx-v1400

Quote Originally Posted by datarush
    Before I bought one I went to the Yamaha site and put up a screen of its specs alongside the 1400 and there's no apparent difference. It even has the same weight. I haven't run a whole lot of sound through it yet but scenes from Blue Crush and the Matrix sounded really good. I think the YPAO adjusted the lower end as it seemed much improved.
    I ran a comparison on the downloaded pdf file owners manuals a few weeks ago for a friend...this confirmed for me that the two units are essentially identical in all technical and mechanical aspects. A few cosmetic differences. I also believe, if memory serves, that the HTR line calls "Pure Direct" mode "Direct Stereo" or something like that...but yeah, the 5790 is the 1400 in different duds.

Direct Stereo or something like that

That is a mode I briefly checked. Sends an unprocessed signal to the mains, as the title implies. My Pioneer Elite also sent a signal to the sub in its equivalent mode, but the Yamaha does not. There's large numbers of processed sound modes that I haven't tried except by flipping through them on the way to DPLII. I did kind of like the sub added to a stereo playback I'll have to see if there is a mode that does that.

I also noticed that if the subwoofer is turned off when a source signal like a DVD is getting picked up, the sub doesn't get the signal at all unless the source is disengaged and restarted. I had to open and close the DVD player to get a signal going to the sub. Stopping and starting the movie didn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I ran a comparison on the downloaded pdf file owners manuals a few weeks ago for a friend...this confirmed for me that the two units are essentially identical in all technical and mechanical aspects. A few cosmetic differences. I also believe, if memory serves, that the HTR line calls "Pure Direct" mode "Direct Stereo" or something like that...but yeah, the 5790 is the 1400 in different duds.

Datarush, if your Pioneer Elite sent a signal to the sub, then it is NOT the equivalent of "Direct Stereo". The LFE signal requires processing, as in cutoff frequencies, some going to speakers, some going to sub. Direct Stereo sends all signal, without processing to speakers.
    Your Yamaha also has a "Straight" mode, which is the equivalent to the Pioneer Elite mode you are referring to. This employs minimal processing, but does use the LFE channel.

As for the problem of the LFE's not being picked up by your sub. I'm not sure if that's the receiver's fault, the DVD players, or the Sub-woofer. It could be a combo of all 3. I suggest you refer to your manual and verify all settings are correct. Might even be a loose cable? Generally the sub won't engage itself until an LFE signal is sent through the system.
    Did it work fine with your old receiver?

Direct Stereo

Come to think of it the Pioneer had two modes selectable with that button, and one was pure stereo. I happened to like the mode with the sub engaged and just forgot about the other, pure stereo mode.

The subwoofer works fine once it gets a signal. In fact, the YPAO procedure seems to have adjusted it for the better. Its something with the receiver as that did not happen with the Pioneer.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Datarush, if your Pioneer Elite sent a signal to the sub, then it is NOT the equivalent of "Direct Stereo". The LFE signal requires processing, as in cutoff frequencies, some going to speakers, some going to sub. Direct Stereo sends all signal, without processing to speakers.
    Your Yamaha also has a "Straight" mode, which is the equivalent to the Pioneer Elite mode you are referring to. This employs minimal processing, but does use the LFE channel.

As for the problem of the LFE's not being picked up by your sub. I'm not sure if that's the receiver's fault, the DVD players, or the Sub-woofer. It could be a combo of all 3. I suggest you refer to your manual and verify all settings are correct. Might even be a loose cable? Generally the sub won't engage itself until an LFE signal is sent through the system.
    Did it work fine with your old receiver?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information