• 10-19-2010, 07:16 AM
    Sir Terrence the Terrible
    New Netflix app on the PS3
    Last night after I got off of work I drove home quickly to try out the new app for netflix on the PS3. After firing up the PS3, I found the netflix icon in the video menu. I clicked on it and the download started. Exactly 30 seconds later I was ready to go.

Boy, I was impressed. Not only did the streaming video look far better than before, but the audio was damn right good for a two channel offering. No matter what I previewed, it looked and sounded far better than when I had to use the disc to access netflix. The PQ consistently looked better than DVD, and although the audio was only two channel, it had surprising conherence and movement when DPL IIx was engaged.

I have to say I am pretty impressed at what Sony and netflix have done with the PS3's streaming cabilities. The layout is intuitive and far easier to navigate, and setup was easy enough that even a monkey like pix could figure it out.
  • 10-19-2010, 07:32 AM
    audio amateur
    Hey T, thanks for the heads up. As i'm new to the whole PS3 thing I was wondering what applications and other interesting gizmos you would recommend me to check out.
    Im in France so netflix im guessing wont work but let me know what else I should check out:)
    This goes for all of you PS3 heads:)
  • 10-19-2010, 11:08 AM
    Geoffcin
    I've had "Netflix on Demand" since I got the new BR player a couple weeks ago. Best thing since sliced bread! I don't know why your olny getting stereo, it's coming through in DD for me.
  • 10-19-2010, 11:18 AM
    kexodusc
    I just upgraded my internet service from 256 kbps to 25 Mbps...so we got Netflix Canada...limited selection in Canada still (I think it's only a few months old up here), but I too have been very impressed by how it works with the PS3 (and Xbox 360 soon enough).

This has loads of potential - been catching up on 3 seasons of Mad Men....
  • 10-19-2010, 12:55 PM
    pixelthis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Last night after I got off of work I drove home quickly to try out the new app for netflix on the PS3. After firing up the PS3, I found the netflix icon in the video menu. I clicked on it and the download started. Exactly 30 seconds later I was ready to go.

Boy, I was impressed. Not only did the streaming video look far better than before, but the audio was damn right good for a two channel offering. No matter what I previewed, it looked and sounded far better than when I had to use the disc to access netflix. The PQ consistently looked better than DVD, and although the audio was only two channel, it had surprising conherence and movement when DPL IIx was engaged.

I have to say I am pretty impressed at what Sony and netflix have done with the PS3's streaming cabilities. The layout is intuitive and far easier to navigate, and setup was easy enough that even a monkey like pix could figure it out.

not GONNA SAY IT...not GONNA SAY IT...:1:
  • 10-19-2010, 12:58 PM
    pixelthis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pixelthis
    not GONNA SAY IT...not GONNA SAY IT...:1:

Yeah, Sir TALKY, I am such a monkey that I HAVE BEEN downloading content off of the web
    AND my cable box for years before you have gotten started, and didn't need a over engineered toy to do it with.:1:
  • 10-19-2010, 01:50 PM
    L.J.
    5.1 is available for some titles now too. Good luck finding them though. Mostly National Geographic. I just downgraded my cable service and will use Netflix more often. Good UI compared to the disc version.

http://blog.netflix.com/2010/10/wii-...disc-free.html
  • 10-19-2010, 02:18 PM
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pixelthis
    Yeah, Sir TALKY, I am such a monkey that I HAVE BEEN downloading content off of the web
    AND my cable box for years before you have gotten started, and didn't need a over engineered toy to do it with.:1:

Thanks for confirming(and admitting) exactly what I thought about you. I don't believe that I ever said that I haven't downloaded movies off the web before this update. I just didn't like the quality of either the audio or the video. This changed that completely, and that was my point monkey.
  • 10-19-2010, 02:20 PM
    Geoffcin
    OK, that's enough of this "monkey" buisness.
  • 10-19-2010, 02:21 PM
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    I've had "Netflix on Demand" since I got the new BR player a couple weeks ago. Best thing since sliced bread! I don't know why your olny getting stereo, it's coming through in DD for me.

The DD you get is two channel, not 5.1. 5.1 is not available to any other platform except the PS3 as of now. Two channel DD stereo has been the standard audio format since netflix has been offered for streaming on BR players. I am sorry you didn't get the memo.
  • 10-19-2010, 02:23 PM
    Quote:

OK, that's enough of this "monkey" buisness.

I guess making a last comment, and then closing a thread and hiding your tracks is a lesser offense than a monkey comment right?
  • 10-19-2010, 03:22 PM
    Geoffcin
    Quote:

I guess making a last comment, and then closing a thread and hiding your tracks is a lesser offense than a monkey comment right?

If your looking to draw a suspension your barking up the right tree.
  • 10-19-2010, 03:23 PM
    Geoffcin
    Quote:

The DD you get is two channel, not 5.1. 5.1 is not available to any other platform except the PS3 as of now. Two channel DD stereo has been the standard audio format since netflix has been offered for streaming on BR players. I am sorry you didn't get the memo.

You don't know what your talking about. I'm getting 5.1 DD right now while I'm watching this movie.
  • 10-20-2010, 05:40 AM
    Quote:

If your looking to draw a suspension your barking up the right tree.

Oh wow...a suspension. My life just may come to an end now........

Things are just horrible when you are suspended from a website where the crickets chirp more often than a new post is posted.
  • 10-20-2010, 05:42 AM
    Quote:

You don't know what your talking about. I'm getting 5.1 DD right now while I'm watching this movie.

Sorry, but there are no 5.1 tracks offered on any platform other than the PS3. So it is you who does not know what he is talking about, and it is not the first time.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/14/n...-and-5-1-surr/

http://www.audioholics.com/news/indu...p-5.1-surround

Now who does not know what they are talking about?
  • 10-20-2010, 05:57 AM
    audio amateur
    2.0 DD should show up as 2.0 DD on the receiver normally
  • 10-20-2010, 06:09 AM
    Geoffcin
    I JUST watched "The Thin Red Line" in DD 5.1 on my Sharp Aquos BR player. I have the SAME capability on my PS3 that I keep in the game room, so please don't tell me what I don't know.
  • 10-20-2010, 10:01 AM
    Quote:

I JUST watched "The Thin Red Line" in DD 5.1 on my Sharp Aquos BR player. I have the SAME capability on my PS3 that I keep in the game room, so please don't tell me what I don't know.

You still don't get it. I have posted two examples of your being totally wrong, yet you still want to do this stupid dance. Here is a third example that disputes your lame claim to get something that nobody else has.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/19/d...ming-shootout/

Note these words

and Netflix doesn't offer any surround audio at all. You're stuck with stereo no matter what, and while we know Netflix is working it, stereo audio just doesn't cut it compared to the 7.1 and 5.1 surround we've become accustomed to.

Or this

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20019600-17.html

So do you want to continue to believe that you are getting 5.1, or are you going to snap to reality?
  • 10-20-2010, 10:38 AM
    audio amateur
    Maybe there are exceptions? After all Geoffcin isn't new to this stuff so it might just be that he is indeed getting 5.1
  • 10-20-2010, 10:47 AM
    Geoffcin
    AA I can assure you that what I was hearing was DD5.1. Not only that but it was in 1080i quality too!

FWIW; I just bought shares in Netflix!
  • 10-20-2010, 11:12 AM
    Geoffcin
  • 10-20-2010, 11:46 AM
    Quote:

AA I can assure you that what I was hearing was DD5.1. Not only that but it was in 1080i quality too!

FWIW; I just bought shares in Netflix!

You are dreaming and need to wake up. You are getting neither, especially not on a Sharp BR player.

1080p and 5.1 sound via Dolby Digital plus is exclusive to the PS3 right now. So if you want to continue to ignore the truth from the links just to feed your imagination, I guess you are welcome to do so.

Your link say it applies to the PS3 as well, not the sharp BR player.
  • 10-20-2010, 11:49 AM
    Quote:

Originally Posted by audio amateur
    Maybe there are exceptions? After all Geoffcin isn't new to this stuff so it might just be that he is indeed getting 5.1

He may not be new to this stuff, but he can be dead wrong as he is in this case. The PS3 is the ONLY machine that can pass 1080p(not 1080i) and 5.1 sound at this moment via netflix, not the Sharp BR player or any other player.
  • 10-20-2010, 12:14 PM
    Geoffcin
    You better stop calling me a liar.
  • 10-20-2010, 12:50 PM
    pixelthis
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

You better stop calling me a liar.

HAVENT you heard? SIR talky is always right, if he says the earth is flat don't roll over the edge! Welcome to my world.
    He would walk out on his own funeral because he would refuse to believe hes' dead .:1:
  • 10-20-2010, 12:51 PM
    I don't believe I called you a liar, but when a person is not telling the truth...well then......

How about you are profoundly mistaken? The reality is, you are not getting 1080i nor 5.1 on a Sharp BR player. Only the PS3 has access to 1080p encoded films and 5.1 DD+. All of the links confirm that, so if you keep repeating a mis-truth well.......it is what it is.

Are you infallible? Can you be mistaken? Even moderators can make mistakes right?

Here is the proof AGAIN!

http://netflix.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=372

Note these words

Beginning October 18, the PlayStation®3 (PS3™) computer entertainment system from Sony Computer Entertainment, Inc. will be the first consumer electronics device to support 5.1-channel surround sound on movies streamed from Netflix. Netflix said more devices would be added over time to support streaming digital surround sound.

If the PS3 is the FIRST device to get 5.1 audio based on this press release, how can your Sharp BR player do it now? I am guessing it will take you some time to digest this.

Here is a comment on the video side of things

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2010-10/...80p-5-1-audio/

Notice these words

And it’s not just any ole’ Netflix app, as this will be the first to feature (up to) 1080p video content and Dolby Digital 5.1 audio.

So how can your Sharp BR player be outputting 1080i if the PS3 is the FIRST to offer up to 1080p streaming?

You can wake up now, the dream is over.
  • 10-20-2010, 01:10 PM
    audio amateur
    T, no need to go at him like that. If he says it's 5.1 then give him the benefit of the doubt. The fact is, he has the gear in front of him and you don't...
  • 10-20-2010, 01:12 PM
    Tarheel_
    here's a good read...Netflix just adopted DD Plus for streaming...

http://www.hometheatermag.com/news/102010netflixtaps/
  • 10-20-2010, 02:10 PM
    Quote:

Originally Posted by audio amateur
    T, no need to go at him like that. If he says it's 5.1 then give him the benefit of the doubt. The fact is, he has the gear in front of him and you don't...

AA, sorry, but the facts are pretty clear here. The PS3 in the only device that can do 1080p and 5.1 as of now, and the links support that. So no matter what an individual says, the reality is what it is.

If I told you I had a speaker with a 5" mid/woofer that is flat to 15hz, and you knew physics didn't support such a conclusion, would you just let what I said go? I would think not. If I told you that same driver is flat to 40khz, and you knew it wasn't true, would you give me the benefit of the doubt, or challenge what I say? I know you would challenge it. So while he may be somebody you really like, in this case, he is really wrong, and by insisting he is right, he is just digging himself into a big deep hole.

If all of the links say the PS3 is the FIRST device to support 1080p 5.1 streaming, then it is the first, no matter what anyone says. I don't give the benefit of the doubt to known misinformation, no matter who it is coming from.
  • 10-20-2010, 02:12 PM
    Geoffcin
    Well I just got off the phone with Netflix customer support and the tech CONFIRMED that I am getting HD quality through my BD player. It seem that the availability of HD programming on demand is limited to high speed connections like my 25MB cable connection.

I did get one case of re-buffering last time, but it was only for a few seconds.
  • 10-20-2010, 02:22 PM
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarheel_
    here's a good read...Netflix just adopted DD Plus for streaming...

http://www.hometheatermag.com/news/102010netflixtaps/

I like this comment

The first device to support Dolby Digital Plus in Netflix rentals will be the Sony PS3 gaming console.

So folks understand. Dolby digital requires too much overhead to be used for streaming. DD+ has all of the necessary tools to give satisfactory audio results when the bit bucket is very low. As a matter of fact, DD+ does its best job when the bit budget is very limited - a better job than Dolby Digital which is why it was chosen for streaming over standard DD.
  • 10-20-2010, 02:28 PM
    E-Stat
    Quote:

He may not be new to this stuff, but he can be dead wrong as he is in this case. The PS3 is the ONLY machine that can pass 1080p(not 1080i) and 5.1 sound at this moment via netflix, not the Sharp BR player or any other player.

What I've found on the Netflix blog here supports that notion as of a week ago, too. On the other hand, the press release says "Netflix said more devices would be added over time to support streaming digital surround sound." It likely shouldn't take too long for them to offer the same capability to their other formats as well.

rw
  • 10-20-2010, 02:46 PM
    Quote:

Well I just got off the phone with Netflix customer support and the tech CONFIRMED that I am getting HD quality through my BD player. It seem that the availability of HD programming on demand is limited to high speed connections like my 25MB cable connection.

I did get one case of re-buffering last time, but it was only for a few seconds.

The HD "quality" you are getting is called 720p encoding. That is what they use for their HD encodings. This is not 1080i/p. Netflix uses VC-1 for their encodings, and the variable bitrates average between 2600kbps and 3400kbps which is good enough for 720p, but not nearly good enough for 1080i/p.

http://blog.netflix.com/2008/11/enco...streaming.html

Notice these words:

We encode most content at 500, 1000, 1600, and 2200kbps VBR, but some titles whose source quality merits it have also been encoded at 3400kbps. The highest bitrate encodes are fit into 720x480 non-square pixels (the usual 1.2 PAR for widescreen content, 0.9 PAR for 4:3),

and these:

Today we have rights to deliver about 400 streams in HD (720p).

So you see, you are not getting 1080i/p on your Sharp BR player, you are getting HD "lite" which is the best they can do with the current bandwidth offered on the internet.

Notice these words as well:

Today, we cannot use WMDRM to deliver AC3 or DD+ audio, which means that only stereo (delivered via WMA) is available.

The update for the PS3 downloaded included the WMDRM audio container which can support multichannel audio on the PS3. No other player has this update, which is why only the PS3 can do 5.1.

As I have always said, the devil is in the detail.
  • 10-20-2010, 02:50 PM
    Quote:

Originally Posted by E-Stat
    What I've found on the Netflix blog here supports that notion as of a week ago, too. On the other hand, the press release says "Netflix said more devices would be added over time to support streaming digital surround sound." It likely shouldn't take too long for them to offer the same capability to their other formats as well.

rw

I agree, it won't take them long to get it on other devices. My friend Paidgeek(from Bluray.com) told me that Sony paid handsomely for the right to be the first to offer both 1080p encodes, and multichannel audio. Much like Microsoft paid handsomely for the right to stream without a disc being inserted into the XBOX360.
  • 10-20-2010, 03:17 PM
    Geoffcin
    Quote:

The HD "quality" you are getting is called 720p encoding. That is what they use for their HD encodings. This is not 1080i/p. Netflix uses VC-1 for their encodings, and the variable bitrates average between 2600kbps and 3400kbps which is good enough for 720p, but not nearly good enough for 1080i/p.

Notice these words:

We encode most content at 500, 1000, 1600, and 2200kbps VBR, but some titles whose source quality merits it have also been encoded at 3400kbps. The highest bitrate encodes are fit into 720x480 non-square pixels (the usual 1.2 PAR for widescreen content, 0.9 PAR for 4:3),

and these:

Today we have rights to deliver about 400 streams in HD (720p).

So you see, you are not getting 1080i/p on your Sharp BR player, you are getting HD "lite" which is the best they can do with the current bandwidth offered on the internet.

Notice these words as well:

Today, we cannot use WMDRM to deliver AC3 or DD+ audio, which means that only stereo (delivered via WMA) is available.

The update for the PS3 downloaded included the WMDRM audio container which can support multichannel audio on the PS3. No other player has this update, which is why only the PS3 can do 5.1.

As I have always said, the devil is in the detail.

Your information is two years out of date. I'm currently listening to Netflix on demand in HD, and in DD, something your old information says is impossible.
  • 10-20-2010, 05:41 PM
    Quote:

Your information is two years out of date. I'm currently listening to Netflix on demand in HD, and in DD, something your old information says is impossible.

This response is just plain pitiful. In the face of an overwhelming amount of evidence that points out that your nose is growing with every response, you are still drowning in denial.

So let us pick apart your latest example of a crack pipe overdose.

To encode a full 1080p stream with no visual signs of compression errors you need at least 10mbps which is the very bottom of VC-1 bit threshold for HD streams with no movement on the screen. Netflix encodes have a consistent bitrate of 4mbps(3400mbps for video, and two audio channels at 192kbps and overhead for metadata). This can be verified by inserting the Netflix disc into the PS3, and pressing the button just below the red button on the remote. There is no way a VC-1 encoder can encode a 1080p image at 4mbps, that is below the HD safety encoding bitrate for 1080p, but just below the sweet spot for 720p. I know, I have worked with the VC-1 encoder quite a bit, have you?

Each time Netflix improves their encoding techniques or expands their streaming platform, they post those changes on their blog. If they do not post something, then it is likely it hasn't changed. When they switched from using WM encodes to VC-1 encodes, they noted it.

When the PS3 became discless, it was announced here

http://blog.netflix.com/search?updat...max-results=20

When Netflix announced that Dolby Digital plus is going to be used for 5.1, they posted it here

http://netflix.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=372

The date that the announcement was made was October 14, 2010, so there was no way to carry 5.1 before that date. On October 18, this was announced...

There is even more good news for PS3 owners: starting today you’ll be able to instantly watch some movies and TV shows in 1080p high definition with Dolby 5.1 channel surround sound.

Now, I looked high and low for an announcement of 1080p and 5.1 audio being offered on the Sharp BR player, and I couldn't find a single thing. So if Netflix posted the announcement for the PS3, why wouldn't they post it for the Sharp BR player? Would that seem a little inconsistent, and wouldn't that be huge news for Sharp and Netflix? With the Netflix blog logging every single change that Netflix has implemented, why would they not announce a major coo for the Sharp players like they did for the PS3? Something isn't adding up, and it seems that you are doing a Meg Whittman on me.

Now you made this ambiguous proclamation that you are enjoying HD and DD now. Let's look at the detail of your ambiguous(for cover I suppose) statement. Yes you are enjoying HD, but it is HD lite 720p, not 1080i/p of which you insisted you were watching previously. You state you are listening to DD, and that is true. But the devil is in the detail. Your player is transcoding the stereo WM files into a Dolby Digital stream because BR players do not support WM files via streaming. I know this for a fact. It is clear you have transitioned from making specifics like "I am watching 1080i and listening to 5.1" to "I am enjoying HD and DD now". The profound level of ambiguity in this latest statement deeply contrasts to the specifics of your previous statement, which tells me clearly you are walking back your original statement. While you are too prideful to just admit you are wrong, the fact that you walked back your original statement is a satisfactory admission of wrongness since that is the best you probably can do. I am okay with that, but it wasn't really necessary, as the links proved you wrong even if your pride wouldn't acknowledge it.

It would be interesting if you could offer proof that you are actually seeing 1080i/p, and listening to 5.1 on your Sharp BR player. I think I have provided sufficient evidence that says you are not, and you have not offered anything that effectively counters that.
  • 10-20-2010, 06:36 PM
    Geoffcin
    Crack pipe overdose eh? I warned you about your over-use of slanderous verbs.
  • 10-20-2010, 07:37 PM
    Geoffcin
    Hey guess what. Turns out my BR player is up-converting the signal to 1080i (exactly what my Sony TV was saying the input is) and my receiver does an excellent job with the matrixed DD stream to decode a very good resemblance of a discrete surround matrix.

Now where has my crack pipe gone off to.....
  • 10-22-2010, 10:14 AM
    Quote:

Hey guess what. Turns out my BR player is up-converting the signal to 1080i (exactly what my Sony TV was saying the input is) and my receiver does an excellent job with the matrixed DD stream to decode a very good resemblance of a discrete surround matrix.

Now where has my crack pipe gone off to.....

I am surprised you haven't banned it.....

Player upconversion is not native HD, and a trancoded stereo audio stream is a long way from discrete 5.1 sound. All this processing does not equal your original claims of 1080i(which is upconverted from 720p), and transcoded two channel WMA outputted as two channel DD being represented as 5.1.

You cannot ban your way out of misinformation...
  • 10-22-2010, 10:55 AM
    Tarheel_
    Quote:

I am surprised you haven't banned it.....

Player upconversion is not native HD, and a trancoded stereo audio stream is a long way from discrete 5.1 sound. All this processing does not equal your original claims of 1080i(which is upconverted from 720p)

i don't get the 720p not being HD. I believe both 720p & 1080p are considered HD. At least on my projector and LCD, both are 720p and display in HD. From what I gather, most channels are broadcast in this resolution so other than a few channels and Blu-ray movies, I consider 720p as HD.