• 12-26-2006, 10:03 AM
    jgw04
    New to forum,would appreciate opinions
    Setting up system in a problem area.

Room 25x15x30 ft high, all wood. Almost a lost cause I guess as additional open Loft at top .

Speakers front:. Klipsch RF-5 15 ft apart
    Front center Klipsch RC- 3 II
    10 in sub Area Rt.Front speaker

Rear back Klipsch RC-3 5 FT Off floor
    Rear sides Klipsch RS-3 II 15 FT apart,8 ft high

Sitting area 16 feet from 55in Mitsu.

Setting system up as 6.1
    I do not play music/movies loud but i do want best surround sound out of this set up!!!!
    Looking at new Denon 3806 Receiver.

Would appreciate opinions as best direction to go.

Thanks Gang
  • 12-26-2006, 11:12 AM
    elapsed
    Filling 11250 cubic feet with sound will definately be an enourmous challenge, not to mention that the room is made of wood.

What is your full budget for speakers, subwoofer and receiver?
  • 12-26-2006, 11:40 AM
    paul_pci
    While the room is quite large, does the listening area and attending soundfield need to be that large? For instance, do you need to place your front speakers 15ft apart and do you need to sit 16ft away from your tv? Can you construct a smaller, more manageable soundfield within the larger physical room?
  • 12-26-2006, 01:20 PM
    jgw04
    Quote:

Originally Posted by elapsed
    Filling 11250 cubic feet with sound will definately be an enourmous challenge, not to mention that the room is made of wood.

What is your full budget for speakers, subwoofer and receiver?

This is a strange house, I have no choice in the listening area.

I already have the Klipsch speakers from a system in a previous house

Budget for receiver will be $1,200

A Fireplace is in-between the front speakers.
  • 12-26-2006, 02:17 PM
    jgw04
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paul_pci
    While the room is quite large, does the listening area and attending soundfield need to be that large? For instance, do you need to place your front speakers 15ft apart and do you need to sit 16ft away from your tv? Can you construct a smaller, more manageable soundfield within the larger physical room?

The speakers are 15 ft apart due to a fireplace inbetween.

There is a flight of stairs coming up to this room also.I can not reduce the listening area to a smaller size so I will have to deal with what I have and try to get the best out of it.

There is a 10x13 carpet on the floor which should help
    My concern is will the Denon 3806 give a fair return, all things concidered.
  • 12-26-2006, 02:49 PM
    Mr Peabody
    The Klipsch are high sensitivity, so they will get loud with little power, if the 3807 is your receiver of choice it should do fine.

Do your side speakers have to be that high? I haven't set up a 6.1 system but that doesn't seem right. Also, your set up sounds more like 7.1 than 6.1. Isn't 7.1 the set up with side speakrs, where 6.1 uses a back center channl?

Another concern to me, if you have a fire place between the front speakers, do you sit off center? If so, I'd suggest somehow narrowing your listening field so you can sit in front of the 55 and center channel.
  • 12-26-2006, 03:19 PM
    jgw04
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    The Klipsch are high sensitivity, so they will get loud with little power, if the 3807 is your receiver of choice it should do fine.

Do your side speakers have to be that high? I haven't set up a 6.1 system but that doesn't seem right. Also, your set up sounds more like 7.1 than 6.1. Isn't 7.1 the set up with side speakrs, where 6.1 uses a back center channl?

Another concern to me, if you have a fire place between the front speakers, do you sit off center? If so, I'd suggest somehow narrowing your listening field so you can sit in front of the 55 and center channel.

Yes I do sit off center but I have the Mitsu at an angle so i'm looking straight on.

The rear R/L Klipsch are higher up due to a door out side and a set of stairs up to the next level on the other side.

I do have the speakers angled down towards the listening area.

The 6.1 is due to the fact that I had an extra RC-3 , thought going 6.1 would put out fair sound using it as a center back.