Forum Regular

Help Installing 5.1 Surround Sound From Cable TV Time Warner, Why does Analogue Sound

Help Help Help I finally attempted to hook up an optic cable from my Time Warner HD Box to my receiver and something ain't right (maybe me, haha!). I can't get 5.1 from my HD DVR yet as it needs to be updated to an 8300 DVR from an 8000 Scientific Model.

Anyway, I connected the optic cable from the back of the cable box to the optical cable box on TV, What I'm unsure about is, 1. if a TV show/movie on the onscreen Cable Guide is listed as surround sound, does that mean 2 channel surround sound or 5.1 surround sound. If its in 5.1 will the guide say 5.1 surround sound rather than just surround sound? 2. All the shows I watched were either listed as surround sound or nothing/stereo and when I played it through my optical cable, I heard digital sound. When I yanked the fiber optic cable out and thus was connected by RCA cables I heard Analogue Sound. For my ears the analogue sound, albeit the was not 5.1 sound, was far superior to the digital sound. Is this correct or did I screw up totally? Likewise if there is a real 5.1 broadcast and it's playing as 5.1 digitally on my receiver, will I then finally hear superior sound then my analogue stereo sound that is going through 5 speakers & a sub naturally? Let me know if need to clarify that. Its confusing to me and I'm writing this!

Sometime over a year ago, I helped a friend connect a new cable box (time/warner) nonHD digitally and this was my experience: My friend had to have BOTH analog and digital connections as the analog stations would not come through via the digital connection. Secondly, I could find NO inidication in the guide as to which movies were being broad cast in 5.1 sound and which were not. As you know, I have Direct TV and their guide is very clear about which shows are broadcast in 5.1 and I have no problem, except the volume is usually lower than a normal broadcast.

If you're hooked up with the optic cable and the programming is in 5.1, those 5 speaker indicators should come on on your receiver display. That's what I'd look for to know if you're getting the 5.1 digital sound or not. Also, there may be something in the set up menu of your cable box that you need to mess with.

Prologic analog sound can sound really good, but it will never sound like a 5.1 movie will.

Forum Regular

Oh Thanks About the SetUp Menu

I'm going to have to check out the set up menu which I forgot to do. Thanks for reminding me.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_pci
    Sometime over a year ago, I helped a friend connect a new cable box (time/warner) nonHD digitally and this was my experience: My friend had to have BOTH analog and digital connections as the analog stations would not come through via the digital connection. Secondly, I could find NO inidication in the guide as to which movies were being broad cast in 5.1 sound and which were not. As you know, I have Direct TV and their guide is very clear about which shows are broadcast in 5.1 and I have no problem, except the volume is usually lower than a normal broadcast.

If you're hooked up with the optic cable and the programming is in 5.1, those 5 speaker indicators should come on on your receiver display. That's what I'd look for to know if you're getting the 5.1 digital sound or not. Also, there may be something in the set up menu of your cable box that you need to mess with.

Prologic analog sound can sound really good, but it will never sound like a 5.1 movie will.

Forum Regular

Should SAP Getting turned on?

I have this on off. Should it be on for 5.1 sound?

Quote Originally Posted by hershon
    I'm going to have to check out the set up menu which I forgot to do. Thanks for reminding me.

I have this on off. Should it be on for 5.1 sound?
    SAP is for Spanish language broadcasting, so no.

IRG

In the same boat...

Help Help Help I finally attempted to hook up an optic cable from my Time Warner HD Box to my receiver and something ain't right (maybe me, haha!). I can't get 5.1 from my HD DVR yet as it needs to be updated to an 8300 DVR from an 8000 Scientific Model.

Anyway, I connected the optic cable from the back of the cable box to the optical cable box on TV, What I'm unsure about is, 1. if a TV show/movie on the onscreen Cable Guide is listed as surround sound, does that mean 2 channel surround sound or 5.1 surround sound. If its in 5.1 will the guide say 5.1 surround sound rather than just surround sound? 2. All the shows I watched were either listed as surround sound or nothing/stereo and when I played it through my optical cable, I heard digital sound. When I yanked the fiber optic cable out and thus was connected by RCA cables I heard Analogue Sound. For my ears the analogue sound, albeit the was not 5.1 sound, was far superior to the digital sound. Is this correct or did I screw up totally? Likewise if there is a real 5.1 broadcast and it's playing as 5.1 digitally on my receiver, will I then finally hear superior sound then my analogue stereo sound that is going through 5 speakers & a sub naturally? Let me know if need to clarify that. Its confusing to me and I'm writing this!
    I am getting a new NAD receiver today, but I have had my Time Warner cable box plugged into my 2 channel amp using the RCA cables, as there was no other option for me. When I went to the dealer last weekend where I am getting my NAD unit, I asked him about hooking up, and he said to use the RCA cables anyway, and not the digital cable. The reason according to him (and he seemed pretty knowledgeable) is that the Scientific Atlanta cable boxes do not have a digital/analog converter in them. Perhaps new units are starting to do that, not sure. I have a newer unit, but it is not for HD cable, not sure that matters anyway.

But the point that Paul mentioned which is correct, is that if you use only the digital cable, and want to listen to a station that is analog, and there is no converter in the cable box, you aren't going to hear anything but static. Now if you use both analog cables and a digital cable, I am not clear whether this will alleviate the problem or not. I guess the receiver then has to know which signal is working, but usually the receiver is programmed to pick the best type of connection, which is digital first. So, if there is no converter in the box, and you are watching an analog station, the only thing the receiver is going to play is this static.

If you use only RCA cables, then the box is sending a real signal to the receiver which can be listened to, although you are then defeating the point of listening to a 5.1 broadcast in cable. The only solution would be to constantly change cables depending on which station you listen to, which is of ridiculous.

Paul or anyone else, can this point be clarified at all?

Forum Regular
    Thanks for clarifying this a bit. I'll probably find out by trial and error. Believe it or not, I seem to be getting the best, richest and most natural (stereo) TV sound using cheap $4 RCA cables which I have going from my TV monitor out to my receivers TV inputs. The HD DVR is connected to my TV via component cables.

What NAD receiver did you get and what was the price?

Quote Originally Posted by IRG
    I am getting a new NAD receiver today, but I have had my Time Warner cable box plugged into my 2 channel amp using the RCA cables, as there was no other option for me. When I went to the dealer last weekend where I am getting my NAD unit, I asked him about hooking up, and he said to use the RCA cables anyway, and not the digital cable. The reason according to him (and he seemed pretty knowledgeable) is that the Scientific Atlanta cable boxes do not have a digital/analog converter in them. Perhaps new units are starting to do that, not sure. I have a newer unit, but it is not for HD cable, not sure that matters anyway.

But the point that Paul mentioned which is correct, is that if you use only the digital cable, and want to listen to a station that is analog, and there is no converter in the cable box, you aren't going to hear anything but static. Now if you use both analog cables and a digital cable, I am not clear whether this will alleviate the problem or not. I guess the receiver then has to know which signal is working, but usually the receiver is programmed to pick the best type of connection, which is digital first. So, if there is no converter in the box, and you are watching an analog station, the only thing the receiver is going to play is this static.

If you use only RCA cables, then the box is sending a real signal to the receiver which can be listened to, although you are then defeating the point of listening to a 5.1 broadcast in cable. The only solution would be to constantly change cables depending on which station you listen to, which is of ridiculous.

Paul or anyone else, can this point be clarified at all?

IRG
    Thanks for clarifying this a bit. I'll probably find out by trial and error. Believe it or not, I seem to be getting the best, richest and most natural (stereo) TV sound using cheap $4 RCA cables which I have going from my TV monitor out to my receivers TV inputs. The HD DVR is connected to my TV via component cables.

What NAD receiver did you get and what was the price?
    I am getting a NAD T-743, (in about 1 hour) which is their lowest priced model. I am trading in some equipment for it, so I think my final price is like $85 plus tax. Can't beat that! The price of the receiver to me was $645, although I have seen better at SaturdayAudio of about $569. But I a)wanted to support the local dealer b) didn't want the hassles of selling my equipment myself c) felt I got very good prices on my trade in equipment d)have found the dealer very helpful, and useful.

This dealer sells both NAD and Yamaha receivers. For music, the NAD are definitley superior, no matter how many Yamaha fans might be on this board. More bells and whistles from Yamaha yes, but the NAD is nice and simple, which I prefer, and has probably one of the best "musical" sounds you can get from a HT receiver. Plus it has preouts if I ever want to add an outboard amp. Maybe someday, but it is doubtful.

If you think the Denon you bought is not an improvement, check out the NAD line. You may find too, that your local dealer would accept your Denon on trade, although I am sure you will lose some $$ from what you just spent. Never hurts to ask though.

Thread Information