new addition!!!

Printable View

  • 09-20-2006, 08:04 AM
    Kam
    new addition!!!
    unlike wooch, i have adopted. just picked up a parasound hca2200 off the 'bay and have it hooked up into the system! he gets along SO well with everyone! i loooooooooooooooooooooooooooove it! this is the first time i've had a separate power amp in my system and i have to say i absolutely love it. i've only listened to two channel lately, (can't stop listening to two channel now!) but i'm curious how it will perform in full 5.0 mode (i don't have a subwoofer and dont need one now) since the marantz is rated faaaaar lower for the center channel than the parasound pumping 250 into the mains. but i had always felt the mains werent even beginning to get worked up with the marantz while the dialogue and sound coming from the center was very crisp and clear. will post an update and hopefully some more pics soon. have to make room somewhere, right now its just sitting on the floor by the rack.
    i am really dying to pick up a turntable now....
  • 09-20-2006, 08:44 AM
    kexodusc
    Well...uh....I guess congrats are in order....have you...picked a name yet?
  • 09-20-2006, 10:49 AM
    Kam
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Well...uh....I guess congrats are in order....have you...picked a name yet?

    hmmm i haven't yet... i'll post pics of the lil guy and see what names y'all reccommend. i think he might look like a "Frank" but that doesn't quite fit.....
  • 09-20-2006, 11:13 AM
    GMichael
    Congratulations! May you have many years of happy listening together.

    How about Corinthian? :thumbsup:
  • 09-20-2006, 11:32 AM
    basite
    how about Kam's Amplifier, yeah, that would suit it, :D
  • 09-20-2006, 02:18 PM
    topspeed
    Names?

    Hmmm...

    How 'bout Hanso? That's got nice little ring to it.
  • 09-20-2006, 03:43 PM
    Woochifer
    :lol:

    Congrats on the new addition! Advantage of "adoption" is obviously instant gratification. I don't get to "take delivery" until next May (if all goes well!), and in the meantime, my wife is turning into ... well ... a pregnant wife!

    We're in New York for a week (me for a conference and training, my wife just for fun), and it seems that my wife has been more interested in the bathroom and the bed than any of the sites around the city! (We saw "The Producers" this afternoon, and I wanted to swing by Lincoln Center to see if we could catch the NY Phil, but my wife just wants to sleep some more!)
  • 09-20-2006, 04:16 PM
    Kam
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Woochifer
    :lol:

    Congrats on the new addition! Advantage of "adoption" is obviously instant gratification. I don't get to "take delivery" until next May (if all goes well!), and in the meantime, my wife is turning into ... well ... a pregnant wife!

    We're in New York for a week (me for a conference and training, my wife just for fun), and it seems that my wife has been more interested in the bathroom and the bed than any of the sites around the city! (We saw "The Producers" this afternoon, and I wanted to swing by Lincoln Center to see if we could catch the NY Phil, but my wife just wants to sleep some more!)

    hey wooch! welcome back again to new york! how much longer are you here for? send me a pm or email, you're more than welcome to stop over and give a hear to the 3.3's with "Hanso" while wifey is taking a nap (as is anyone else in the nyc area)
  • 09-20-2006, 04:45 PM
    Kam
    1 Attachment(s)
    you know....
    he does kinda look like a "Hanso"......
  • 09-21-2006, 03:40 AM
    Worf101
    Cute
    Snookie wookie wookums.... "Who's a big amplifier, who's a big bad power amp?" Nice score there M8 glad to see you break down ans spend a few sheckles on yourself for a change...

    Much love...

    Da Worfster
  • 09-21-2006, 04:24 AM
    Woochifer
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Kam
    hey wooch! welcome back again to new york! how much longer are you here for? send me a pm or email, you're more than welcome to stop over and give a hear to the 3.3's with "Hanso" while wifey is taking a nap (as is anyone else in the nyc area)

    I'd love to take you up on that, but unfortunately we're leaving today! Yesterday was my only real free day on this trip, and the only music I've taken in has all been live. We'll try to visit MOMA before we leave.
  • 09-21-2006, 05:39 AM
    bobsticks
    Good lookin' noise maker Kam :thumbsup:
  • 09-21-2006, 07:55 AM
    dean_martin
    very nice, Kam. I'll bet that Parasound/NHT combo really rocks!

    what's on your shortlist of turntables? 'tables, cartridges, phono amps, searching for vinyl - it's a pursuit that can become an obsession.
  • 09-21-2006, 08:12 AM
    Kam
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dean_martin
    very nice, Kam. I'll bet that Parasound/NHT combo really rocks!

    what's on your shortlist of turntables? 'tables, cartridges, phono amps, searching for vinyl - it's a pursuit that can become an obsession.

    well...the real reason i want a turntable is for absolute nostalgic reasons. i just got (from ebay of course) a record i had when i was a kid, this Batman LP record from the '70s with four stories on it with scarecrow, grod and gorilla city, the manbat, and one more that slips me now. i also had a superman record with a story about mytztlplkc (spelling?) that wasnt as good as the batman one. so now that i've got it, its just sitting there dying to be played!! i'd probably start out with something easy and cheap for now, just to ease my way back into it, maybe an Audio Technica or a basic denon, but just starting my research on turntables now.

    any reccomendations?
  • 09-21-2006, 09:10 AM
    dean_martin
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Kam
    well...the real reason i want a turntable is for absolute nostalgic reasons. i just got (from ebay of course) a record i had when i was a kid, this Batman LP record from the '70s with four stories on it with scarecrow, grod and gorilla city, the manbat, and one more that slips me now. i also had a superman record with a story about mytztlplkc (spelling?) that wasnt as good as the batman one. so now that i've got it, its just sitting there dying to be played!! i'd probably start out with something easy and cheap for now, just to ease my way back into it, maybe an Audio Technica or a basic denon, but just starting my research on turntables now.

    any reccomendations?

    Ooh, I have a Spiderman LP!

    Turntables - you've got 2 directions you can go. One would probably include the AT and Denon you mentioned - direct drive tables with the convenience of auto play and auto lift at the end of an LP side. These aren't as bad as the analog/vinyl die-hards would have you believe. I have an old Technics that I got from Circuit City for $99. It still works flawlessly after 15 years or so. I thought it was "ho-hum" soundwise for a long time - kind of bland - until I recently installed a $40 Grado Black cartridge on it. Now it displays more of vinyl's better qualities.

    The other route is all-manual belt-drive. These are pretty cool if you really want to know and get aquainted with your turntable. Seriously, a common theory is that it's easier to get good sound on the cheap from a belt drive as compared to a direct drive. In this camp there are 2 basic subgroups of turntables - the Pro-Ject/Music Hall group and the Rega clone group. If you buy new, you'll probably need $300 to get in the door.

    The Pro-Ject Debut III and the Music Hall MMF 2.1 are the $300 starters in group 1. Between these, I would go with the Debut III if it came with the Pro-ject 9 tonearm (but, it doesn't) and something other than a Sumiko Oyster cartridge (it may come with an Ortofon now, I'm not sure.) I think you have to go up the Pro-ject and Music Hall lines to get your money's worth. Fortunately, there's starter group 2.

    Here we have the Rega clones based on the Rega P2 which has been discontinued. NAD used to have an entry in this group. Now, the main entry is from Goldring. The Goldring 1.2's best quality, IMO, is its tonearm which is based on the Rega RB250 which used to come standard on the Rega P2. Here's a link:

    http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...E2%20Turntable

    If you can go $450, I think I know where you can find a new Rega P2 w/glass platter and a new Pro-ject RM-4 which was replaced recently by the RM-5. PM me if you're interested.

    If you go used then your choices increase dramatically and we should probably go over to the analog board or to audioasylum's vinyl asylum, if you can stand the hot air.

    BTW, thanks for mentioning the flowers over on the speaker board. I need to have some waiting for the missus when she gets home.