Audio Enthusiast

DVD Player & Formats

Want to look for a DVD player that can playback all formats such as DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, and DVD+RW. Which brand / model I should buy ? Thanks

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by SAPSEC
    Want to look for a DVD player that can playback all formats such as DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, and DVD+RW. Which brand / model I should buy ? Thanks
    What exactly is the purpose of having it play both DVD+R and DVD-R? You can either record
    on one or the other. Assume you record at DVD+R (the more popular format). Why then would you need to play DVD-R? You may as well buy a progressive scan stand alone DVD recorder. Assuming you can record DVD+R why then would you need to record DVD-R as well? As far as I know most DVD players that play DVD+R will also automatically play DVD+RW same with DVD-R & DVD-RW. You want to waste your money for one that plays both DVD+R & DVD-R, go right ahead but you're just wasting money. But hey its your dough.

AR "Wisdom of Yoda"Member LEAFS264's Avatar
    Hershon, why do you have to be such a putz!! Just answer the kids question.

Sapsec, didn't EVER listen to Hershon.
    Most dvd players now a days will play just about any disc you can put into it. Depending on the amount of cash you want to drop on one,you will be able to get one with more features. You can go online to any major retailer and see the specs and what it will play. If your going to look in the 100 to 250.00 dollar range, they are all about the same. Try and stick with the big boys of the retail stores...like Pioneer, panasonic,sony,toshiba, jvc etc....If your going with a cheep one.

Jay

Forum Regular

Totally Bogus hear Other Comments

This advice given to you by this guy Leaf I think is totally bogus but if that's what makes you feel good go right ahead. There are currently many DVD players that won't play DVD-R that are current models while there are also a few that won't play DVD+R but those are in the minority. There is a listing of what DVD types a player will support at the following Link:
    www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php

As I was saying before I was again dismissed by another know it all blowhard, if you record DVD+R only why would you need to be able to play DVD-R? Or even vice-versa? In other words, just being able to play one format of DVDR would be enough, paying extra to play 2 formats would cost you more money if its a choice between buying a player that supports everything as opposed to supporting one format. I'm pretty sure that if a player plays DVD+R it will play DVD+RW. Same with DVD-R & DVD-RW. You can also get a standalone DVD Recorder to act as your DVD player as well.
    Last edited by hershon; 05-24-2005 at 07:46 AM.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hershon
    This advice given to you by this guy Leaf I think is totally bogus but if that's what makes you feel good go right ahead. There are currently many DVD players that won't play DVD-R that are current models while there are also a few that won't play DVD+R but those are in the minority. There is a listing of what DVD types a player will support at the following Link:

As I was saying before I was again dismissed by another know it all blowhard, if you record DVD+R only why would you need to be able to play DVD-R? Or even vice-versa? In other words, just being able to play one format of DVDR would be enough, paying extra to play 2 formats would cost you more money if its a choice between buying a player that supports everything as opposed to supporting one format. I'm pretty sure that if a player plays DVD+R it will play DVD+RW. Same with DVD-R & DVD-RW. You can alsi get a standalone DVD Recorder to act as your DVD player as well.
    When i was looking for one,i wanted it to do all those just incase. The Yamaha C705 i think does everything. I expect to see Leaf respone like that with others.
    Look & Listen

Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    . I expect to see Leaf respone like that with others.

What does that mean?

[QUOTE=hershon]. There are currently many DVD players that won't play DVD-R that are current models while there are also a few that won't play DVD+R but those are in the minority. There is a listing of what DVD types a player will support at the following Link:

See putz!. Why didn't you just answer his question like that,instead of your first response which was worthless. Your second answer was much better.

My God. Don't pay any attention to Hershon.

ANY good DVD player made within the last two years will play all DVD formats. It's that simple. Just stick with a good brand like Pioneer, Panasonic, JVC, Samsung Yamaha, Toshiba and you'll be fine. I hate Sony players but they will also do the job.

If you want to spend more and get a little better player, Onkyo, Denon, and Marantz would be a step up from the others.

But quite simply and brand name player (and most non-brand name players even) will work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by hershon

As I was saying before I was again dismissed by another know it all blowhard, if you record DVD+R only why would you need to be able to play DVD-R? .
    Perhaps he has a friend/relative that makes DVD-R's that he wants to play?

Perhaps he buys 'rare' material transferred to DVD-R (stuff that's not been released yet).

Perhaps he already has some of both.

Perhaps he just wants to get the most features he can get for future use.

All that being said, if it will play -R it will play +R and vice versa. The only players I've seen that will play one or the other have been over 6 years old. I doubt a store would have any of those left on the shelf.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    My God. Don't pay any attention to Hershon.

ANY good DVD player made within the last two years will play all DVD formats. It's that simple. Just stick with a good brand like Pioneer, Panasonic, JVC, Samsung Yamaha, Toshiba and you'll be fine. I hate Sony players but they will also do the job.

If you want to spend more and get a little better player, Onkyo, Denon, and Marantz would be a step up from the others.

But quite simply and brand name player (and most non-brand name players even) will work fine.
    I would'nt have JVC,Toshiba and Samsung on the list but its not my list.
    Look & Listen

Forum Regular
    [QUOTE=N. Abstentia]Perhaps he has a friend/relative that makes DVD-R's that he wants to play? Perhaps he buys 'rare' material transferred to DVD-R (stuff that's not been released yet). Perhaps he already has some of both."

If that's the case I agree but I extremely doubt it is. Most people sell private DVDR's in the DVD+R format. If the guy actually gets DVD-R's from his friends and Ebay and will continue to do so, I can see the need to buy a DVD that plays both formats. I think its high unlikely that either he does or he will borrow/buy these DVD-R's, but if so yeah your right.

Forum Regular

NAbstentia Read English

No need to say I said something that I didn't. The guy asked about buying a DVD player that played both DVD+R and DVD-R. I asswered the guy in English words to the effect that if you can get a DVD player that plays one format at a cheaper price, buy that. I didn't imply that most DVD players don't play both formats. I was just answering his question. So I would appreciate it if you didn't twist my words in the future.

Stop It!

Thread Information