• 04-17-2010, 10:03 AM
    Swish
    Need projector recommendations.
    I checked a couple threads on here but haven't seen a whole lot of steam behind any particular model, so I'm wondering if anyone can give me some ideas. While I don't have a budget in mind, I'd prefer to keep it under $3,000 and would hope I could come in close to $2,000 or less, so the Anthem LTX 500 is a no go. :smile5:

I'm also wondering if it makes more sense to buy a screen or to use that special paint to create my own on the wall? I understand the process takes time and has to be done very precisely so there are no flaws in the picture. Have any of you attempted to make your own, and, if so, can you offer any suggestions or tips?

The room size shouldn't be an issue with a width of 18' and depth of 22', although the finished ceiling is only 7'. There's about 6" about the ceiling tiles so I could create a 'pan' for the projector is that would be commended. The drop ceiling will also make it easy for me to run my speaker wires.

Thanks in advance.

Swish
  • 04-19-2010, 06:15 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Swish
    I checked a couple threads on here but haven't seen a whole lot of steam behind any particular model, so I'm wondering if anyone can give me some ideas. While I don't have a budget in mind, I'd prefer to keep it under $3,000 and would hope I could come in close to $2,000 or less, so the Anthem LTX 500 is a no go. :smile5:

I'm also wondering if it makes more sense to buy a screen or to use that special paint to create my own on the wall? I understand the process takes time and has to be done very precisely so there are no flaws in the picture. Have any of you attempted to make your own, and, if so, can you offer any suggestions or tips?

The room size shouldn't be an issue with a width of 18' and depth of 22', although the finished ceiling is only 7'. There's about 6" about the ceiling tiles so I could create a 'pan' for the projector is that would be commended. The drop ceiling will also make it easy for me to run my speaker wires.

Thanks in advance.

Swish

There are a few good projectors in your range. If it were my money, I would go with either the Panasonic AE4000 or the Epson 8500UB or 8100. This is where is did most of my research before buying the two I have. They have forums where you can post questions too. They know way more than I do.
    http://www.projectorcentral.com/home...projectors.htm

You can compare models, get prices, read reviews and find several DIY screen projects. Epson, Optima, Sanyo and Panasonic (and a few others) are all making good budget projectors. I personally would never buy a Mitsubishi product, but that’s because I’ve delt with them in the past and was very unhappy with their customer service.

There are some screen projects that don’t include painting. Some use a large acrilic type boards that just needs mounting. Others buy the screen material and make their own frames. I think that Kex built a screen of his own. He may be able to help you. In any case, most people say to buy the projector first and play with picture sizes on your bare wall or white sheet until you find the size that suites you. Happy hunting.
  • 04-19-2010, 06:27 AM
    Swish
    Many thanks for this.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GMichael
    There are a few good projectors in your range. If it were my money, I would go with either the Panasonic AE4000 or the Epson 8500UB or 8100. This is where is did most of my research before buying the two I have. They have forums where you can post questions too. They know way more than I do.
    http://www.projectorcentral.com/home...projectors.htm

You can compare models, get prices, read reviews and find several DIY screen projects. Epson, Optima, Sanyo and Panasonic (and a few others) are all making good budget projectors. I personally would never buy a Mitsubishi product, but that’s because I’ve delt with them in the past and was very unhappy with their customer service.

There are some screen projects that don’t include painting. Some use a large acrilic type boards that just needs mounting. Others buy the screen material and make their own frames. I think that Kex built a screen of his own. He may be able to help you. In any case, most people say to buy the projector first and play with picture sizes on your bare wall or white sheet until you find the size that suites you. Happy hunting.

I have a lot to learn about the technology and I want to approach it carefully and make good choices because I want it to last many years. I still have some work to do in the main space but want to make my decisions before I start wiring and so forth.

Thanks again,
    Swishdaddy
  • 04-19-2010, 06:36 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

I have a lot to learn about the technology and I want to approach it carefully and make good choices because I want it to last many years. I still have some work to do in the main space but want to make my decisions before I start wiring and so forth.

Thanks again,
    Swishdaddy

Good approach.

By the way daddy. The new models usually come out in late summer. Good deals can be had on last year’s models in early summer, but the trend lately has been that the new and improved models have been coming out with lower price tags. Not sure if that trend will continue, but it’s a thought.
    3D models are just coming out. Prices are still a little high.
  • 04-19-2010, 08:31 AM
    kexodusc
    Swish, I used Wilson Art Laminate (Designer White). Counter top stuff. It's a very popular option on other A/V websites. It comes in 5 x 12 rolls for about $100 and measures better than a lot of paint or even low budget screen options. I have a smaller, Da-Lite screen I use for work, and it doesn't bring out as sharp a contrast as the coutner top stuff. A friend of mine was so impressed he upgraded his screen to the same material (albeit 18" larger than what he had prior). A lot of people have used this stuff with great success.

Here's a good link for construction ideas, but not the only way to do it.
    http://elysianonline.com/home-theate...ection-screen/

If you decide to go this route we can talk more about construction.

The laminate is great, it's very strong (durable), easy to wash, and cheap. Took me about an afternoon to build, under $200 all-in. There's other DIY options, some a bit better, some worse, and material availabilty is usually the determining factor. Home Depot usually carries the laminate. You're probalby splitting hairs on the overall picture quality until you get into the mega-buck options. And if you're like me, you wont' notice those benefits anyway.

I'd recommend it over paint, especially if you have a habbit of throwing remotes at the screen during sports.

If you're building a room, be sure of light control. That is critical. Which means dimmable lights or excellent blinds. Other than that, have fun.
  • 04-19-2010, 09:00 AM
    Swish
    Have you been speaking to my wife?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I'd recommend it over paint, especially if you have a habbit of throwing remotes at the screen during sports.

BWAHAHAHAHA! I've never thrown one at my TV screen, but I've come very close. I did break the battery latch on the back off my Harmony when I tossed it during an Eagles game.

Thanks for information Kexo, and I'm going to look into this stuff and check that link. One roll will do it for my room, so this is a very cost-effective option.

Swishbaby
  • 04-19-2010, 12:42 PM
    Swish
    Early summer? That would be perfect since I have to...
    Quote:

Good approach.

By the way daddy. The new models usually come out in late summer. Good deals can be had on last year’s models in early summer, but the trend lately has been that the new and improved models have been coming out with lower price tags. Not sure if that trend will continue, but it’s a thought.
    3D models are just coming out. Prices are still a little high.

...run my speaker wires, but my screen and so forth. All this while we're in the middle of a semi-remodel of our kitchen along with lots of interior painting. I'm really not in a hurry but if the price drops but a few hundred or so, I'll just buy one and go from there. I think the Panasonic will be my choice at this point, but I have more research to do.

Thanks again,
    GSwishdaddy
  • 04-26-2010, 06:36 PM
    euchreb
    From my experience and I have an Epson 1080 UB pro Cinema, the screen is very important. Dont use the paint. Either make your own screen as the previous poster stated or buy one. Unless you are putting it up in a room where the screen has to go up dont waste money on the electric screen. Between the panasonic and the Epson it is really close. I had the same debate with the Epson and Panasonic models 2 years ago. It really depends on what you want to use it for and how dark is your room going to be. The epson is great for movies in a dark room but the panasonic is better for gaming with more light infiltration. Epsons warrenty kicks the crap out of panasonic but panasonic lamps are a little cheaper. For your price range either of those projectors is going to make you happy. At 92" my 1080UB projector looks as good as my pioneer elite plasma. Best of luck.
  • 04-26-2010, 07:08 PM
    Swish
    Thanks for your input.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by euchreb
    From my experience and I have an Epson 1080 UB pro Cinema, the screen is very important. Dont use the paint. Either make your own screen as the previous poster stated or buy one. Unless you are putting it up in a room where the screen has to go up dont waste money on the electric screen. Between the panasonic and the Epson it is really close. I had the same debate with the Epson and Panasonic models 2 years ago. It really depends on what you want to use it for and how dark is your room going to be. The epson is great for movies in a dark room but the panasonic is better for gaming with more light infiltration. Epsons warrenty kicks the crap out of panasonic but panasonic lamps are a little cheaper. For your price range either of those projectors is going to make you happy. At 92" my 1080UB projector looks as good as my pioneer elite plasma. Best of luck.

We are in the midst of finishing our main floor so I won't be making any moves until this summer, but I want to make sure I have a good base from which to work before I start the process. I know the size of the space but I'm not certain how big the screen should be based on where the main seating will be, and how far from the screen I should mount the projector from the ceiling. I'm sure there are plenty of sites that explain all of that, and once established, I will begin running my speaker wires and building my screen. Based on the feedback thus far, the painted screen is out of the question.

Thanks again,
    Swishdaddy
  • 04-27-2010, 05:07 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

We are in the midst of finishing our main floor so I won't be making any moves until this summer, but I want to make sure I have a good base from which to work before I start the process. I know the size of the space but I'm not certain how big the screen should be based on where the main seating will be, and how far from the screen I should mount the projector from the ceiling. I'm sure there are plenty of sites that explain all of that, and once established, I will begin running my speaker wires and building my screen. Based on the feedback thus far, the painted screen is out of the question.

Thanks again,
    Swishdaddy

Dear Daddy,

That site I gave you is a great place to find all those answers in one place, and then some.

I wouldn't go painted either. Too many better options.

Are you planning on running the cables to the projector in the wall/celing or on the surface? If, in the wall, you may want to also put in a conduit to pull new cables if needed. You never know what will replace HDMI around the corner.

Also, some people like to have a second display (LCD, plazma etc) for when they are watching news programs or other such programs that don't need a large picture. It saves on bulb life. I mounted my old CRT in the corner of the room pointed at the kitchen. We use that in the mornings to watch the news or to have on for the music channels. It also comes in handy when I watch sports and play video games at the same time.
  • 04-27-2010, 06:16 AM
    Swish
    No worries G.
    Quote:

Dear Daddy,

That site I gave you is a great place to find all those answers in one place, and then some.

I wouldn't go painted either. Too many better options.

Are you planning on running the cables to the projector in the wall/celing or on the surface? If, in the wall, you may want to also put in a conduit to pull new cables if needed. You never know what will replace HDMI around the corner.

Also, some people like to have a second display (LCD, plazma etc) for when they are watching news programs or other such programs that don't need a large picture. It saves on bulb life. I mounted my old CRT in the corner of the room pointed at the kitchen. We use that in the mornings to watch the news or to have on for the music channels. It also comes in handy when I watch sports and play video games at the same time.

I saved those sites on my browser and plan to utilize them when I'm ready to do my research. Thanks for the tip on the bulb life, but I'm not sure I'm going to worry about a second screen. This will be in my basement and used primarily for movies and major sports, and not for news and daily TV fodder. I have a 50" Panasonic plasma in the LR that we use for that sort of thing, and I plan to keep it there.

Thanks again for all the help. You guys are awesome!

Swishbaby
  • 04-27-2010, 07:13 AM
    kexodusc
    You'll get a ton of life out of the bulbs then if you can keep to that. We use ours for most video watching, are terrible for turning it on and off in short intervals (which isn't great). But I still got 3089 hrs on my Epson 1080 's first bulb (almost 19 months worth). It ran in torch mode for awhile too which probably didn't help. My wife's bad at leaving it on when she leaves the house too.

I'm taking a lot more care on bulb #2 and I'm hoping for 10% more life. We'll see.

One other thing - do some thinking about screen size. I was originally going to go with 92" based on some recommendations those calculators provide for 480p viewing distances - I grew it to 102" or 104" (can't remember dimensions off top of my head) figuring most of my viewing would be 1080i or better anyway, and that I could always shrink it. Man I'm glad I did that!!!
  • 04-28-2010, 11:58 AM
    Swish
    I'm guessing the replacement bulbs are salty?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kexodusc
    You'll get a ton of life out of the bulbs then if you can keep to that. We use ours for most video watching, are terrible for turning it on and off in short intervals (which isn't great). But I still got 3089 hrs on my Epson 1080 's first bulb (almost 19 months worth). It ran in torch mode for awhile too which probably didn't help. My wife's bad at leaving it on when she leaves the house too.

I'm taking a lot more care on bulb #2 and I'm hoping for 10% more life. We'll see.

One other thing - do some thinking about screen size. I was originally going to go with 92" based on some recommendations those calculators provide for 480p viewing distances - I grew it to 102" or 104" (can't remember dimensions off top of my head) figuring most of my viewing would be 1080i or better anyway, and that I could always shrink it. Man I'm glad I did that!!!

And by that I mean expensive, before the wisecracks start. I was really surprised how many people, my 31 year old daughter and her 33 year old husband included, never heard that expression before. Oh well.
  • 04-28-2010, 12:12 PM
    kexodusc
    Quote:

And by that I mean expensive, before the wisecracks start. I was really surprised how many people, my 31 year old daughter and her 33 year old husband included, never heard that expression before. Oh well.

Yeah, $300-$400 is typical..
  • 04-30-2010, 06:13 PM
    Tarheel_
    On my 3rd year with a 720p Mitsubishi HD projector with 2200+ hours and it still looks great. Check the warranty and the bulb life time. A 1000 hour bulb life difference means a great deal of savings.
  • 10-20-2010, 10:29 AM
    GMichael
    Did anyone notice the release of the new Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350 Projector?
    It's getting great reviews.
    http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epso...inema_8350.htm

http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...e&entry_id=351

It's improvements like these as a reasonable price that gives me hope for the future. If they can do this much now, imagine what they'll be able to do in a couple more years (my budgetary plan for upgrading).
  • 10-20-2010, 11:28 AM
    kexodusc
    Quote:

Did anyone notice the release of the new Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350 Projector?
    It's getting great reviews.
    http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epso...inema_8350.htm

http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...e&entry_id=351

It's improvements like these as a reasonable price that gives me hope for the future. If they can do this much now, imagine what they'll be able to do in a couple more years (my budgetary plan for upgrading).

Wow, that's making it damn tempting for a lot of people I bet.
    I expect to get another few years out of mine before upgrading as well, but at least I won't have to break the bank when the time comes.
  • 11-26-2010, 04:49 PM
    amarmistry
    I just got my new Epson Home Cinema 8700UB last week-end. After much delibaration and dilemma between Panny PT-AE4000U and Epson, I decided to go for this one. The picutre is truly amazing.
    Haven't yet hooked up to my Blu-Ray yet, but regular DVDs on DVD player (only 480i) looks very good so far.
    It comes with free lamp and 2 years warranty. Total lamp life is 4000hrs vs 3000hrs for Panny. The lamp is valued at $300 vs $400 for Panny. The price of the projector is $2199, but ProjectorPeople were running Thanksgiving special for $2000. Can't beat this whole deal.
  • 11-27-2010, 11:18 AM
    Sir Terrence the Terrible
    If you go to Projectorcentral, they have projector and screen deals. Check that out, the prices on those combo deals are eye popping!
  • 11-28-2010, 07:08 AM
    Swish
    Thanks, but GMichael beat you to it.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    If you go to Projectorcentral, they have projector and screen deals. Check that out, the prices on those combo deals are eye popping!

He mentioned that site in the first response to my original post and I've been checking out all the excellent information available (throw distance, screen size, etc.) and I'm planning to build a 110" screen with that Wilson Art laminate that Kex recommended.

I'm going to wait until after the holidays to start running my speaker wires and the like for my 7.1 system. I haven't decided on the projector yet, but was going to get the Epson 8500UB (found one for under $1900) but may go with the new Epson 8350 that GMichael just threw in the mix based on what I'm reading about it. That would save me about $600 and it appears I wouldn't give up much in the way of performance. I probably won't buy one until February or March, so I have plenty of time for research and shopping.

Thanks!
  • 11-29-2010, 07:47 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

He mentioned that site in the first response to my original post and I've been checking out all the excellent information available (throw distance, screen size, etc.) and I'm planning to build a 110" screen with that Wilson Art laminate that Kex recommended.

I'm going to wait until after the holidays to start running my speaker wires and the like for my 7.1 system. I haven't decided on the projector yet, but was going to get the Epson 8500UB (found one for under $1900) but may go with the new Epson 8350 that GMichael just threw in the mix based on what I'm reading about it. That would save me about $600 and it appears I wouldn't give up much in the way of performance. I probably won't buy one until February or March, so I have plenty of time for research and shopping.

Thanks!

Oh no!

I don't think that my "Class Clown" status allows me to be helpful. I may have to turn in my card. :blush2:
  • 11-30-2010, 02:04 PM
    amarmistry
    You might want to consider 8700 as it comes with two HDMIs and free bulb coupon after mail-in rebate. It has better blacks as well.
  • 11-30-2010, 02:32 PM
    Swish
    I'll consider it, but the price is much higher.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by amarmistry
    You might want to consider 8700 as it comes with two HDMIs and free bulb coupon after mail-in rebate. It has better blacks as well.

I don't want to do this on the cheap by any means as I already have thousands soaked into my 7.1 audio system. However, if I can get very good performance for hundreds less, I'll probably do so. I have until about March to make my decision, so I'm going to see where the prices fall at that point.

Thanks for your input.
  • 12-26-2010, 09:18 PM
    amarmistry
    Please see this link for my Home theater setup.
    Panny DMP-BD85K with Epson PowerLite Homecinema 8700UB projector in action:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/arm.amar/HomeTheater#

The picture is default THX setting. Projector not calibrated yet.
  • 12-27-2010, 05:56 AM
    Swish
    Very nice but...
    ....very white lol! I'm surprised you didn't use a darker color paint on your walls as most would recommend, but if you're happy with it, I guess that's all that matters.

Can you tell me what you are using for a screen? I really can't tell if you used that special paint or have an actual screen installed. I was going to go with the Wilson Art 'bright white' laminate and build a cheap frame for it.

Also, what size is your screen and what is the throw distance for your projector?

Thanks for sharing,

Swish