Forum Regular

Decrypted DVD Burning Consistancy Question

Would appreciate any feedback on this. When I use a program such as DVD shrink to decrypt commercial DVD movies, it seems like I'm having no consistancy burning these things. Specifically using the same drives, I might get a failure the first time and success the second time immediately after that under the same conditions (windows are closed) using the same brand of DVDR. Can someone please explain why that is? Likewise does one get more successful results burning certain brands than others and worst results burning certain brands than others?

If you're not using Ritek media, you're using inferior media. What DVD burner do you have, what kind of computer (hope it's not HP!), and what program do you use to burn?

Forum Regular

Well

First of all your the man, N.Abstenia. I'd be totally lost, seriously, with you. My initial response is Welllllllllllllll. I just bought 2 weeks ago at an excellent reduced price an HP, your favorite, Pentium 4, Media Computer, with 512 RAM and 110 gig hard drive, XP media operating system, with built in TV etc., which was the main reason I got this computer. My previous computer was Compaq Presario with 256 RAm, 40 gig, AMD Athlon (Windows 98 SE) operating system for which I had installed an ATI 128 Rage card to watch TV on. As I mentioned on earlier posts, I had recently gotten an external 12X DVD burner (because I didn't want to pay installation charges in having this drive put in my computer and I'm too stupid to do it right myself without damaging something else in the process- I know my limitations. The new HP Media Computer comes with an internal DVD burner (I'm not quite sure what the speed is). Anyway, why I didn't really have many burning failures on my windows 98 computer, on the HP computer I've had several, both using the internal DVD burner drive and my external DVD Burner drive. I can l accept the error portion for whatever reason it is but what I don't understand is the inconsistancy factor, i.e., the first disc gets screwed up and won't burn say halfway throguh but if I tryu again with everything else the same it burns correctly. I'm niot sure what media it is (how do I find out?) but I also installed Nero Software- I found I didn't have to install additional drivers for my external burner because apparently the same or similar ones were in the Computer. If you can figure this out, you are a genious. It's way above me and I gots to know. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    If you're not using Ritek media, you're using inferior media. What DVD burner do you have, what kind of computer (hope it's not HP!), and what program do you use to burn?
    Last edited by hershon; 07-23-2004 at 10:08 PM.

It's almost impossible to pinpoint the problem without actually seeing it, but if it's a new HP my first reaction would be to reformat the hard drive and perform a clean install of XP. HP installs all kinds of junkware that just hogs resources and can cause burning problems.

Since you're getting failures on both drives, the problem is likely either media, something you're doing wrong, or something wrong with the computer (see above, there is probably nothing physically wrong with it, just might need a clean install).

What speed are you burning at? Have you tried lowering the speed to see if you get a good burn?

Forum Regular

Monster Video Cable Question?

Would appreciate some advice here. I have a Sony Big Screen TV that's about 10 years old and I also use a Sony VCR and use as a source copy deck a cheapo Shap VCR. Both VCR's are hifi stereo. Anyway, I just use cheap generic RCA plus to connect the VCR's to each other and the TV. Is it worth spending another $50 to $100 on Monster Video 2 Plugs (Cable) to use instead of the RCA plugs? Will I notice any significant difference in the picture or sound. Also I use cheap RCA plugs to attach my reciever to the TV's Audio, repeat, audio, left and right outputs. Will I get any noticable better sound with the RCA plugs. The video portion of the TV is connected by THX cable to the Receiver. Is that monster cable? I don't understand why the TV's video portion would have to be plugged into the receiver in the first place. Maybe this is my mistake. Anyway, any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Forum Regular
    I used to use cheap cables to connect my computer to my receiver and noticed a noticeable difference in the sound quality. With better cables you have better shielding (less noise and better signal transfer). Monster THX has the Monster label on it. I think it is on the connectors but not sure.
    Definitive Technology Fan, Owner and Advocate!!!!! never paying retail IS half the fun of buying audio products!!!! Good shopping!

Forum Regular

Thank You Chimera You Are a Gentleman and Scholar on this Thread

I sincerely thank you for your comments here. Have a good weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by chimera128
    I used to use cheap cables to connect my computer to my receiver and noticed a noticeable difference in the sound quality. With better cables you have better shielding (less noise and better signal transfer). Monster THX has the Monster label on it. I think it is on the connectors but not sure.

Forum Regular
    You're welcome.
    Definitive Technology Fan, Owner and Advocate!!!!! never paying retail IS half the fun of buying audio products!!!! Good shopping!

1) Monster Cable is a waste, you can get the same cables at WalMart for less than $20. No use in spending $100 on a cable to hook up a VCR. You probably won't notice any difference either way, but getting a better sheilded cable is a good idea.

2) THX is not Monster Cable. Monster is a brand name, THX is a 'measurement spec' which was great back in the 80's when there were few high quality accessories to be found, but now even the lowest priced accessories meet and exceed the THX spec. I'm still trying to figure out how a cable can be THX certified. That's kinda like saying your tires are rated for use on asphault.

3) You don't have to hook the video up to your receiver, this method just makes source switching much easier. Let your receiver handle it instead of pushing a button on your TV every time you want to watch a different source.

4) Without having S-video or component video capability, don't expect much picture quality improvement with an RCA cable.

Forum Regular
    Mucho gracias sir! If you're ever in the LA area, I'll treat you to a free steak dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    1) Monster Cable is a waste, you can get the same cables at WalMart for less than $20. No use in spending $100 on a cable to hook up a VCR. You probably won't notice any difference either way, but getting a better sheilded cable is a good idea.

2) THX is not Monster Cable. Monster is a brand name, THX is a 'measurement spec' which was great back in the 80's when there were few high quality accessories to be found, but now even the lowest priced accessories meet and exceed the THX spec. I'm still trying to figure out how a cable can be THX certified. That's kinda like saying your tires are rated for use on asphault.

3) You don't have to hook the video up to your receiver, this method just makes source switching much easier. Let your receiver handle it instead of pushing a button on your TV every time you want to watch a different source.

4) Without having S-video or component video capability, don't expect much picture quality improvement with an RCA cable.

Thread Information