• 07-24-2007, 08:38 AM
    rrage
    Need help with best HT set-up!
    Hi everyone, first time poster, came here cuz i hear you guys some of the best! On to it, I'm using a philips 42" 720p plasma, polk audio in-walls l/r, center, 2 rear all 4 oms load, onkyo tx-804 thx 105watts per channel receiver, have but not connected yet a carver av-705 thx 5-channel amp w/ 125w per channel at 8oms. The question is , should i use the receiver or get a pre/pro to use the carver amp. with. My understanding is that i should use a pre-pro instead of the receiver, if this is true is the H/K 2.0 sig. series pre-pro good enough and yes i need bang for buck. Can i use the onkyo or do i need a pre-pro? I appreciate any suggestions or info, thanks.
  • 07-25-2007, 12:55 AM
    pixelthis
    Try the oink.
    Onkyo makes exelent receivers, and I have an Integra 7.4 made by them.
    My plan was like yours, use the receiver as such until I could get an amp, them use it as a pre-pro. It has 12 volt triggers, etc, and is absolutely quite.
    It will work, and give you time to save for a real pre-pro, if your receiver has the feature
    set you are happy with then why not use it?
    The biggest advantage of a seperates system is that seperate amps are so much better than receiver amps, which are full of compromises.
    Sure a real pre-pro will be better, but not by much.
    BTW outlaw audio has a pretty decent pre-pro at a cheap price:1:
  • 07-25-2007, 08:24 AM
    westcott
    I mostly agree with pixelthis. With the in wall speakers, investing more money in a preamp is a little backwards. I would have spent that money in better speakers. That's what is going to give you the best bang for your buck in audio performance. I doubt much performance gains could be realized with separates with your current speaker configuration. The Onkyo will be just fine.
  • 07-26-2007, 01:06 AM
    pixelthis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by westcott
    I mostly agree with pixelthis. With the in wall speakers, investing more money in a preamp is a little backwards. I would have spent that money in better speakers. That's what is going to give you the best bang for your buck in audio performance. I doubt much performance gains could be realized with separates with your current speaker configuration. The Onkyo will be just fine.

Did'nt wanna talk bad about the mans speakers but you're basically right.
    However if the WAF figures in on it there are some pretty nice inwalls, with aiming
    tweeters that are pretty nice, no longer just recycled car stereo speakers anymore:1:
  • 07-28-2007, 11:22 AM
    rrage
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pixelthis
    Did'nt wanna talk bad about the mans speakers but you're basically right.
    However if the WAF figures in on it there are some pretty nice inwalls, with aiming
    tweeters that are pretty nice, no longer just recycled car stereo speakers anymore:1:

Well, my in-walls are Lc series; (2)r/l lc60i , center is lc265i, rear are (2) lc65i which do have aiming tweeters. I was thinking that i really didn't need to get a pre-pro since it may not upgrade the sound by that much. I think that the amp would be adequate since the sound already is great just with the receiver. The amp serves to better my sound and not overload my receiver since the polks are power hungry. Now, i still need my sub and was leaning towards a svs cylinder with a 325 watt bash amp, what do you think. If i can use the current onkyo tx-sr804 receiver w/ the carver av705 amp then i will do so. Since i'm not the most knowledgeable, how do i know if i can and what do i look for as far as connecting it.
  • 07-29-2007, 05:14 AM
    drseid
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rrage
    Well, my in-walls are Lc series; (2)r/l lc60i , center is lc265i, rear are (2) lc65i which do have aiming tweeters. I was thinking that i really didn't need to get a pre-pro since it may not upgrade the sound by that much. I think that the amp would be adequate since the sound already is great just with the receiver. The amp serves to better my sound and not overload my receiver since the polks are power hungry. Now, i still need my sub and was leaning towards a svs cylinder with a 325 watt bash amp, what do you think. If i can use the current onkyo tx-sr804 receiver w/ the carver av705 amp then i will do so. Since i'm not the most knowledgeable, how do i know if i can and what do i look for as far as connecting it.

As long as your Onkyo has pre-outs for at least 5.1 channels (and I bet it does) then you are good to go with feeding the Carver. As for subs, the SVS is a good choice... Just be prepared as the SVS subs are *big*. They are great HT subs and offer excellent bang for the buck, IMO.

---Dave
  • 08-01-2007, 10:47 AM
    rrage
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drseid
    As long as your Onkyo has pre-outs for at least 5.1 channels (and I bet it does) then you are good to go with feeding the Carver. As for subs, the SVS is a good choice... Just be prepared as the SVS subs are *big*. They are great HT subs and offer excellent bang for the buck, IMO.

---Dave

Thanks for everyones's opinions and info, i think i've made my decision based on everone's analysis. If any one has more to say, go ahead, thanks!