3db
    Forum Regular

Need help with a bad echo in my HT room

I recently moved into a new home with its own HT room, 12x16 drywalled with a 7ft drop tile ceiling, pot lights, underpad and berber carpet. I have this nasty echo in the room, espcially noticebale when I clap my hands together while standing in the middle of the room. I know I need acoustic treatments. I would like to draw the room out on my computer. Does anyone know of a good "FREE" cad package I can get my hands on. And can anyone suggest plans for a DIY acoustic panels and where to place them with respect to the speakers/listening position?

Quote Originally Posted by 3db
    I recently moved into a new home with its own HT room, 12x16 drywalled with a 7ft drop tile ceiling, pot lights, underpad and berber carpet. I have this nasty echo in the room, espcially noticebale when I clap my hands together while standing in the middle of the room. I know I need acoustic treatments. I would like to draw the room out on my computer. Does anyone know of a good "FREE" cad package I can get my hands on. And can anyone suggest plans for a DIY acoustic panels and where to place them with respect to the speakers/listening position?
    You could check http://www.eighthnerve.com would give you a ideal on what you could built .You could make panels with 2x2 and accoustic drywall and in between insulation .

www.audioholics.com has an article about DIY acoustical panels. I, being mechanically unskilled and lazy, bought some flat panel, fabric wrapped acoustical panels from www.acousticalsolutions.com.

Good luck.

http://www.auralex.com/

This is the company I use for treatments. You can pick up there stuff at any Guitar Center. It's also pretty cheap in relation to alot of stuff out there. They also have a room calculator to help as well.

Good Luck !!!

Quote Originally Posted by anamorphic96
    http://www.auralex.com/

This is the company I use for treatments. You can pick up there stuff at any Guitar Center. It's also pretty cheap in relation to alot of stuff out there. They also have a room calculator to help as well.

Good Luck !!!
    I started with the aurelax at Guitar Center, but come 'on; it's too ugly. Fine for studios, but in a living space, it's better to go with something more integrateable. Thus, fabric wrapped acoustical panels.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_pci
    I started with the aurelax at Guitar Center, but come 'on; it's too ugly. Fine for studios, but in a living space, it's better to go with something more integrateable. Thus, fabric wrapped acoustical panels.
    It really depends on how its hung whether its ugly or not. Alot of studios I have worked in looked quite good with foam.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    It really depends on how its hung whether its ugly or not. Alot of studios I have worked in looked quite good with foam.
    I bought a 2X$ black foam panel and thought it worked great. Then when I contacted Guitar Center to buy two panel in a color more complimentary to my room, they said I'd have to buy a whole case. So, I said screw that, I'll get a fabric panel instead. I still have the 2X4 panel and was considering cutting it up to place in other perceived problem spots in my room.

Thread Information