AR Newbie Registered Member

Need DVD player advice

Hello, I could use some advice. I have a new 1080p output TV on order and would like to purchase a new DVD player to maximize its potential. I currently have an older DVD player that lacks even progressive scanning or any video output beyond a single RCA so there's an obvious place to start. I want a cheap and simple option here, as I view this as a temporary DVD player until the next generation high def players come out at which time it will go off to the bedroom. I want no bells or whistles, just top video quality in a single disk player.

What is confusing to me, and I've heard/seen conflicting stories here, is if the output format of the DVD player is important. On one hand I've heard that a 1080p capable DVD player is needed to get the best DVD picture quality (from standard DVDs, I am not considering HD or blu-ray at this time). These players are few and far between and mostly quite expensive, especially for something I'd only use to its full potential for a year or two. (The new Denon DVD-1930CI looks most appealing). On the other hand, I've been told the output format is nearly irrelevant except to avoid conversion from interlaced to progressive because the TV will naturally convert everything to 1080p regardless of the input format-upscaling is pointless and if from i to p potentially harmful.

So, I am confused and don't want to spend a lot of money needlessly, but don't want to get a low end player and have it look like crap either. Anyone who can shed some light on the issue and recommend any players I'd love to hear from you.

As I understand it, if your new tv works like mine it will default to 480p with any dvd player. You therefore don't need a progressive scan dvd player. However if you want your tv to operate in HD mode it has to have a 1080i signal. You can get a 1080i signal by purchasing a dvd upscaler, which isn't true HD but will enhance the dvd picture quality. You will then need to buy an HDMI cable as these new tvs and dvd players use copy protection and will only operate in default mode without it. Some people will argue that you can use component cables, but I think this is only true with earlier models that came out and not the more recent models.
    Just my .02 cents.

I'd say go with your run of the mill Toshiba, LG, Panasonic, JVC dvd player that offers upscaling (only with hdmi, though). Any one of those should serve you well. Whether or not the upscaling will be beneficial is up to you. I still say you can't turn water into wine.

With my Sony upscaler and tv the picture quality will vary with each movie. Some exhibit graininess, the better ones don't. Their is definitely better colour seperation with an upscaler. An example is a movie like Troy where great care was taken in making the set. As a result upscaled its pretty darn good. The dark shadows that you see at 480p are gone giving a more colourful picture. Certainly a worthwhile substitute for HDtv until true HD movies/units are available on the market.

The Oppo DVD player is one that has received high recommendations for its upscaling capabilities through its HDMI out. Also, even if you are not interested in HD DVD, the Toshiba HD-A1 ($499) is an excellent upscaling DVD player as well and has the added bonus of HD DVD if you ever change your mind later on about your interest level.

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

I think someone is confused. Oppo's first DVD player did not support HDMI. It was DVI only. Component out was 480i only, as well. Not a good choice. The new Oppo does not use Faroudja and is a step backwards in video quality.

I suggest the Panasonic 97 or 77 if you plan on moving this unit to another bedroom when you get an HD player. It has HDMI support and comes in at a good price for its video performance. You would have to step up to a much more expensive player to get marginally better video performance IMO.

If want a truly incredible dvd player to go the distance, Denon is releasing a model with the HQV chipset for around $1,500. Pricey but will provide an awesome picture for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by westcott
    I think someone is confused. Oppo's first DVD player did not support HDMI. It was DVI only. Component out was 480i only, as well. Not a good choice. The new Oppo does not use Faroudja and is a step backwards in video quality.

I suggest the Panasonic 97 or 77 if you plan on moving this unit to another bedroom when you get an HD player. It has HDMI support and comes in at a good price for its video performance. You would have to step up to a much more expensive player to get marginally better video performance IMO.

If want a truly incredible dvd player to go the distance, Denon is releasing a model with the HQV chipset for around $1,500. Pricey but will provide an awesome picture for years to come.
    Good point on the DVI vs. HDMI... I actually use DVI, so I guess it did not occur to me. Then again, there are adaptors that can also take care of that problem too (as I use in reverse with the Toshiba HD-A-1 as it has an HDMI out).

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD

Office:

Just remember. DVI is not capable of carrying as much video information as HDMI. In many cases, HDMI can eliminate contouring artifacts in digital displays that otherwise would remain with DVI. DVI can handle up to an 8 bit RGB signal while HDMI can handle up to 12 bit RGB level signals.

It may not be important to you now but as video displays raise the bar, you will start to see many more displays capable of supporting 10 and 12 bit video processing. So, plan ahead.

This is partly a broadcast chain issue. Most professional content is sent along the wire at 8 bits, making DVI at this point quite compatible with it. However, some DVD players, displays, and other components on the user end are capable of processing video at higher bit rates, usually 10. You won't necessarily eliminate artifacts like contouring with these extra bits, which can be depleted quickly and easily in the course of electronic events, but they certainly can't hurt, as Westcott says. Eventually, DVI will be left in HDMI's dust because it will not be capable of extending the color gamut into new territory or controlling hardware functions--let alone hi def multichannel audio.

Quote Originally Posted by edtyct
    This is partly a broadcast chain issue. Most professional content is sent along the wire at 8 bits, making DVI at this point quite compatible with it. However, some DVD players, displays, and other components on the user end are capable of processing video at higher bit rates, usually 10. You won't necessarily eliminate artifacts like contouring with these extra bits, which can be depleted quickly and easily in the course of electronic events, but they certainly can't hurt, as Westcott says. Eventually, DVI will be left in HDMI's dust because it will not be capable of extending the color gamut into new territory or controlling hardware functions--let alone hi def multichannel audio.
    Yes, once HDMI 1.3 becomes mainstream, we will see a noticable improvement over DVI most likely (and the current HDMI standard). At that time, it may be time to upgrade... :-) Especially once the latter gen Blu-ray and HD DVD players support the new standard.

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD

Office:

Thread Information