Need to connect everything.....

O.K. been gone AWHILE. got some new stuff..... The Signature has greatly changed!

Since Thanksgiving, I've gotten the following......

B&W 705s
    B&W 703s
    B&W HTM7
    B&W DS6s
    B&W 686s
    Subwoofer (need a new one, but not in the budget)

PS3
    Marantz SR5001
    Same Sharp Aquos
    Same CD player
    Same DVD player

I've got 3 HDMI cables, countless other cables..... I know the PS3 with the new downloads will decode HD-MA Audio, so I didn't need a receiver that did it for me....

question.... How do I connect everything ? I'm sure I can figure it out, but I'd rather have a brief description, then I can just run home, and connect away.

I'm assuming PS3 HDMI OUT to RECEIVER IN, then HDMI RECEIVER OUT, to TV IN.

Sound right? And in this configuration, what will my receiver say, so I know I'm getting HD-MA since the Player will output it, but the receiver won't be doing the decoding????

Also, should I be running any video through the Receiver?

Also, I realize I have a 9.1 system listed, but the 686's aren't in use right now, so I'm running 7.1

Any help would be appreciated!

thanks,

Suspended
    Box up them B&W's, send them to me and I'll hook 'em all up for ya. Sound good lemme know.

you have it basically right, hook up the PS3 to the receiver, receiver to the TV. this is the only way you can pass the HD-MA audio to your receiver. to see what sound you are outputting you'll have to look on the PS3, luckily hitting "display" will tell you, your receiver should say something like "multi-in" or "multi-ch"

if your dvd player has hdmi out then hook it up the same way as the PS3, or better yet, dont even bother, the PS3 upscales DVDs very nicely.
    Home Theatre:
    50" Panasonic TH-50PZ77
    Denon AVR-3808CI
    B&W 603 S3
    B&W LCR600 S3
    Paradigm Cinema ADP v.3
    SVS PB12-NSD
    Xbox 360 250GB
    Playstation 3 60GB
    Explorer 8300HD PVR 320GB
    Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ 8TB
    Harmony One

2-Channel:
    Paradigm Studio 20 v.5
    NAD C320BEE
    NAD C521BEE

Quote Originally Posted by f0rge
    you have it basically right, hook up the PS3 to the receiver, receiver to the TV. this is the only way you can pass the HD-MA audio to your receiver. to see what sound you are outputting you'll have to look on the PS3, luckily hitting "display" will tell you, your receiver should say something like "multi-in" or "multi-ch"

if your dvd player has hdmi out then hook it up the same way as the PS3, or better yet, dont even bother, the PS3 upscales DVDs very nicely.

Thanks! I'm working on it right now.... the DVD player wouldn't even be there, but I have it connected directly to the t.v., for picture AND sound...... the person who watches our son during the day has a daughter, and she likes to watch kid's dvds, but she doesn't understand how to use the receiver, etc... so it's easier for her to use the T.V. sound....

I'll let everyone know how it works out!

Suspended
    I'll use my own speaker wire. ???

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    I'll use my own speaker wire. ???

Oh... I'm sure you will.... and you'll connect them to your own speakers too

anyways.... I got it all hooked up more or less (for some reason it doesn't seem like I have it set up right to have the sub work with the CD setting, but it's working with movies..... )

anyways, I still need to run audio from T.V. to receiver, but I usually just watch the T.V. with the T.V. speakers....

On another note, we put a bid in on a new house, and looks like we might get it..... so new "dedicated theater" time

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny p

anyways.... I got it all hooked up more or less (for some reason it doesn't seem like I have it set up right to have the sub work with the CD setting, but it's working with movies..... )
    Hey johnny p, good to see ya around.

Most receivers still use active crossover processing in "2-Channel Stereo" mode for kind of a 2.1 effect. If you want bareboned basics, like the sound you would hear unprocessed from an integrated amp, hit the "Direct" button.

Don't be a stranger.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Very nice HT system!
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

O.K.

to update a little.... it's connected, as I said before.... but we hit a "minor" roadblock.....

WE BOUGHT A NEW HOUSE!!!!!! It's close to TWICE the size of our current home... 6 bedrooms, and one of them is the finished attic, which will become the new home theater!!!!!! Looks like I'll have to re-connect everything in the new place, but It's not a bad thing!

Suspended
    Congrats johnny p. That's quite an accomplishment these days!

Now, let's talk turkey... Those 686's are going to be just too small for the new room. My old Preference 6 surrounds are troublesome for me because they're floorstanders, so...

LET"S MAKE A DEAL!!!

congrats on the new house

Thread Information