Forum Regular

Need a center channel for my B&W 805S fronts

I auditioned the matching center channel to these speakers the
    HTM4S but it left me unimpressed. The 805s are great for music but the center channel seemed overwelmed in a home theater situation.

I'm thinking of moving up and matching the HTM3S with the 805s. Or moving down and matching the CMC2 with the 805s.

Does anyone having any experience, comments, or suggestions for me? What center channel speaker have you matched your 805s fronts with?

Thanks for the help.

Jim

Suspended
    I don't have B&W but I'd recommend if not happy with the matching center at least stay with the same brand. It's been a while since I've looked at their line, didn't the 800 series used to have a large center channel with I believe a 3-way system in it?

Was the matching center broke in? Did it make any difference setting that channel to "small"?

Forum Regular
    Is it possible to add a 3rd 805S? This would definitely sound the best, although usually tv location is in the way unless it is mounted on the wall.
    Display: Samsung PN50B550 Plasma TV
    Electronics: Onkyo TX-SR606 AVR, Marantz CD5001 CD player, Sony BDP-S550 bluray
    Speakers: Monitor Audio BR5 towers and BRLCR centre, Dayton Audio in-wall surrounds
    Sub: Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Compact
    Wiring: Belden and Canare speaker cables, Monoprice and Monster interconnects
    Control: Wired Home IR distribution system, Logitech Harmony 550 remote

Forum Regular
    The HTM3S is the larger version of the from the 800 line. Sounded very good. Didn't get to listen to the CMC2 which is the replacement from the 700 line.

One is 2 1/2 times the price of the other. But which would be a better timber match. Both are different from the 805s.

Another 805s is a possiblity but I've heard another 'regular' speaker is not a good substitute for a center channel.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Addy
    The HTM3S is the larger version of the from the 800 line. Sounded very good. Didn't get to listen to the CMC2 which is the replacement from the 700 line.

One is 2 1/2 times the price of the other. But which would be a better timber match. Both are different from the 805s.

Another 805s is a possiblity but I've heard another 'regular' speaker is not a good substitute for a center channel.

Jim
    Quite the contrary, a third "regular" speaker is the optimal option because you don't have alignment and timbre matching issues. The only reason three identical speakers aren't used as often has to do with space.

The whole notion of a horizontal center speaker dates back to the days when that speaker would simply sit on top of a large CRT TV or RPTV. Now, with wall-mounted flat panels increasingly commonplace, that space close to the floor that the TV cabinet used to take up can now accommodate a third regular speaker. Consider that movie theaters and dubbing stages don't use a horizontal speaker in the middle, they use three (and sometimes five) identical screen speakers up front.

B&W has made some center speakers that did not match with the mains especially well, but you're never going to get a perfect timbre match from any horizontal speaker, even with identical drivers, simply because the radiating pattern and the alignment are so different from the mains. If you must use a horizontal center speaker, the aim is to just find the closest match that you can. More often than not, that comes from a speaker from the same family.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Forum Regular
    There are no advantages to a horizontal center channel whatsoever, other than the fact that in many cases it "fits" better. If you have the space, a 3rd front speaker is by far your best alternative.

Thread Information