AR Newbie Registered Member

Need advice on Projector purchase

So I'm gonna attempt to save a few bucks buying my first projector online and setting it up myself.

Since projectors have both a minimum and maximum image size, I was wondering how I could tell what the "optimum" image size is, in other words, which image size for a particular projector will give me it's best picture, or is there even such a thing?

FYI, I'm looking for something that will display an 8 ft high picture.

Thanks in advance.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

There's a lot more to consider

Quote Originally Posted by dl222
    So I'm gonna attempt to save a few bucks buying my first projector online and setting it up myself.

Since projectors have both a minimum and maximum image size, I was wondering how I could tell what the "optimum" image size is, in other words, which image size for a particular projector will give me it's best picture, or is there even such a thing?

FYI, I'm looking for something that will display an 8 ft high picture.

Thanks in advance.
    I was seriously considering a projector too, but after seeing some home installations I decided against it. Unless you have total light control in the room I would not recommend a projector. A good screen is a must, and some of the screens are as much or MORE than the projector itself.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    I was seriously considering a projector too, but after seeing some home installations I decided against it. Unless you have total light control in the room I would not recommend a projector. A good screen is a must, and some of the screens are as much or MORE than the projector itself.
    Your response helps me in absolutely no way at all and has nothing to do with my very specific question.

Forum Regular
    Visit www.projectorcentral.com and have a look at the online calculator - it provides details of image size / throw range based on specific procectors. They also have reviews of many different models.

You should look at your viewing distance then work out the ideal screen size based on that... the common reccomendation is for the viewing distance to be 2 x screen width for optimal image quality... with higher resolution projectors you can go as low as 1.5 times screen width.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

I'm sorry you didn't find it helpful

Your response helps me in absolutely no way at all and has nothing to do with my very specific question.
    But since you appeared to be a newbie when it comes to projectors, I thought you might want to hear some advice from someone who has done some research on the subject.

Projectors are not as simple as most other video installations, and there's a lot more to consider than whether the projector can make an image 8ft high.

Good luck on your project.

Forum Regular
    actually your question was not very specific, an 8' screen does not tell us if its' 16:9 or 4:3. Further more you need to determine viewing distance in relation to the seating and placement of the projector. Also in regards to placement, you need to determine the signals you intend to feed it and how they get there as well as power for the projector. You'll also need to coordinate the light output of the projector to the material of the screen for best possible picture. And don't forget about room lighting, the best performance of any projector is in almost total darkness. Check out Projectorcentral for additional info but as a custom installer, i can tell you from experience that there's alot more to it if you want the best out of a front projection system

Forum Regular
    Ability to control light is the most basic criteria (unless you want to watch only after dark).
    My friend bought an infocus 4805 and is very happy with it (its in his basement). He gets a 9 feet diagonal widescreen picture. The thing is not even HD ready, but clearly beats the pic of any rear projection TVs for DVDs.
    An 8 feet diagonal pic is absolutely acheivable from what I have seen so far. Its NOT AT ALL complicated to setup. Buy a suitable long cable from ebay and you are all set. You can hang the proj from ceiling or just place it on a side table. Easy. Chances are that you will just be happy with a white/offwhite/light grey wall as ur screen though a defined black edge will give more drama to the pic. Obviouly an expensive screen will add to the quality of the pic, but it is not necessary to get a good picture that most people will live with in my judgement. Try one, and chances are that you wouldnt even look at a regular TV for movies after that!

Forum Regular
    if all you're going to project is a DVD signal, then sure a simplified set up with a data-grade
    projector and cables running across the floor will suffice. You (and your friend) apparently have not seen a dedicated theater or appreciate good video quality, a big ass picture is GOOD ENOUGH . Yes light is one of the basic criteria, but i guess it doesn't matter to you because a washed out image is GOOD ENOUGH for you and your buddy.
    Bottom line, if you want it done right with the best possible picture then there is no such thing as a simple set-up

Forum Regular
    Avmaster, where did you get the idea that washed out pic is good enough for me? My friends' pics are not washed out. They are rich and sharp. And BIG is better as long as the picture is great. Infocus with its faroujda processor gives an outstanding pic for $1399 (including a 72" screen).

dl222, if you have a Costco nearby, do yourself a favor. get an infocus 4805, hook up a dvd player to it and watch a couple of movies on ur white wall. Then come back and tell us what you think. I have no special love for Infocus. The only reason I suggest that brand is because its the only native widescreen projector I have seen being sold by local stores where you can return the product if you dont like it. Don't be intimidated by people who tend to suggest that you need to have a projector-dedicated room to have a front projector. If you can control light very well and can at least have a white/light grey/offwhite wall, do give it a try. Screen is a great thing to have, but you don't need it to give it a try and get feel of a front pj. Pls remember, this projector is not HD ready. For that you would need to spend a few hundreads more to get Infocus 5000 or something similar. But for watching DVD movies, you just can't go wrong with 4805. A videophile might want a flawless projector that costs 5k and a dedicated room with theater seating and acoustically perfect walls and ceiling. All that is good, if you can afford it.

And you will get tons of ideas about doing the wiring and the rest from all these forums if you are a DIY man. Its fun.

Good luck.

Forum Regular
    I agree w/ jxnew. Yes, people other than professional installers who charge a fortune ARE capable of setting up home theaters. Yes, no doubt professional installers will do a better job, will probably calibrate it better, have the right equipment, etc to end up with a better overall picture, but at what cost? Also, some people want to have something like a projector but aren't hard-core, needing the PERFECT picture, etc. Not to mention, some people stretch their budget to get the gear, yet don't have the extra money to pay someone to set it up professionally.

Yes, jxnew is correct. I have seen the infocus 4805/screen combo setup at a friend's house and the combination is VERY impressive for something he setup himself. Yes, it took time, but it was well worth it. The lighting was quite easy for him to control as he got room darkening shades that work quite well. Sure, it probably isn't as good as what a professional could do, but still way better than what most of the best projection TVs out there have to offer.

Thread Information