AR Newbie Registered Member

Need Advice on new Home Theater speaker locations!

Hi,

We've just moved into a new home and had the builder install a surround sound pre-wire, but before I actually buy the equipment, I was hoping someone could help me figure out where the speakers should go, since I have some problems (I am considering the Klipsch Quintet speakers with a Denon AVR-1604 receiver). The room is 12' by 17', one of the long walls is windows while the other long wall is a full wall. One short wall is open to our kitchen, the other short wall has a fireplace protruding from the center, and the wall above the fireplace also protrudes out as well in the area over the fireplace. The ceilings are 9 feet high.

Now, over the fireplace seems ideal for a plasma or LCD panel, but we decided it's too difficult to crane our necks from the couch to watch in that position, so we're staying with our CRT TV for now, which is in the nook to the right of the fireplace. BUT, the way the pre-wire for the surround is done, the two front speakers are on either side of the fireplace, which definitely isn't centred to the left and right of the TV. If I put a centre speaker over the fireplace mantle, the sound will seem like it's coming from left of the tv, but if I put the centre speaker on the tv, then the 'right front' speaker is basically directly over it, and I can't imagine that does any good. The rear speakers are ok, as they are on the side walls at the very back of the room, which is where our couch is.

What would be the best thing for me to do? Another problem with the centre speaker being over the mantle is that since the fireplace and wall above it are further forward than the rest of the wall, the center speaker is also further forward than the other front speakers, which I've read on Dolby's pages is not recommended for the best sound.

Could someone share their insights on what they would recommend, keeping in mind I am very limited (though not completely) in where the wiring already exists for the speakers? Thank you!

-Tomasz Czernecki
    globexcanada @ hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by tczernec
    Hi,

We've just moved into a new home and had the builder install a surround sound pre-wire, but before I actually buy the equipment, I was hoping someone could help me figure out where the speakers should go, since I have some problems (I am considering the Klipsch Quintet speakers with a Denon AVR-1604 receiver). The room is 12' by 17', one of the long walls is windows while the other long wall is a full wall. One short wall is open to our kitchen, the other short wall has a fireplace protruding from the center, and the wall above the fireplace also protrudes out as well in the area over the fireplace. The ceilings are 9 feet high.

Now, over the fireplace seems ideal for a plasma or LCD panel, but we decided it's too difficult to crane our necks from the couch to watch in that position, so we're staying with our CRT TV for now, which is in the nook to the right of the fireplace. BUT, the way the pre-wire for the surround is done, the two front speakers are on either side of the fireplace, which definitely isn't centred to the left and right of the TV. If I put a centre speaker over the fireplace mantle, the sound will seem like it's coming from left of the tv, but if I put the centre speaker on the tv, then the 'right front' speaker is basically directly over it, and I can't imagine that does any good. The rear speakers are ok, as they are on the side walls at the very back of the room, which is where our couch is.

What would be the best thing for me to do? Another problem with the centre speaker being over the mantle is that since the fireplace and wall above it are further forward than the rest of the wall, the center speaker is also further forward than the other front speakers, which I've read on Dolby's pages is not recommended for the best sound.

Could someone share their insights on what they would recommend, keeping in mind I am very limited (though not completely) in where the wiring already exists for the speakers? Thank you!

-Tomasz Czernecki
    globexcanada @ hotmail.com
    First make a decssion about the TV placement, then adjust your speakers to the location of the TV. If the TV will be in a corner then you will need to move the left and right fronts, the rears are not as important,but after a while you may want to move them also. And don't forget the Sub.

The Denon should let you adjust the setting on each speaker(distance) so the placement of the center (closer) can be compensated for.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Thread Information