Asr
    AR Newbie Registered Member

Need advice on HT system

I'm a relative audio newb (even more a video newb) and I'm looking to overhaul everything I have right now, which is a non-PS DVD player and 27" CRT TV. Here's what I'm planning:

2.1 or 5.1 speakers, budget: $1000

Obviously I want to go all-out on my speakers. What are the best top-grade 2.1 and 5.1 systems? Not interested in 6.1 or 7.1.

DVD player + receiver, budget: $500

If there are any good combo VCR/DVD that also pack progressive-scan, along with all the features and connections I need, I want to know. But if there aren't, I'll settle for a non-combo player. And this may be a dumb question, but what is a receiver, and do I really need one?

HDTV, budget: $2500

I've reviewed LCD vs plasma and I'm leaning towards LCD because they seem more cost-effective. What are the pros and cons of each? My screen size options are limited to 32", 37", or 42" (don't have a very large room). 37" specifically is the best screen size for the space it'll be going into. And I'd prefer a TV with an integrated HD tuner.

Any and all comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

Forum Regular
    We're in similar situations. I just got into this stuff recently and it is highly addictive.

The product that is "the best" is highly subjective and one that only you'll be able to answer once you audition and hear for yourself.

Since you have a budget in mind already, you'll be able to save a lot of time.

In my opinion, go into 2-3 audio speciatly stores (not Best Buy or Tweeter), the ones that are usually very small in retail space and have names like Meridian, Krell, B&W, Denon, M&K, Paradigm as the brands they deal. These are just a few names and they are very high end and pricey, but there usually are a few otherf more affordale names out there.

I'll probably get some arugument, but it is ALL opinion anyway. An under rated name is Sony ES. The Elevated Standard brand of Sony is much in line with your budget, mnaybe a tad higher, and it will do a nice job in the 5.1 that you're looking for.

I don't know much about the HDTV yet as I have not yet gone to that yet. I'm much, much more into the audio end of things and still sport the 40 inch Mitsubishi tube - which, by the way, is a damn good pitcure with a good DVD on my Sony ES DVD/SACD player.

I don't know that I gave you all that much to go on, but think that by starting in a specialty store and picking their brains, you'll find thge best sound that YOU like best.

Brands for you to investigate:

Denon
    Sony ES
    Pioneer Elite

Quote Originally Posted by Asr

Obviously I want to go all-out on my speakers. What are the best top-grade 2.1 and 5.1 systems? Not interested in 6.1 or 7.1.
    I would definitely go 2.1 and build from there. You can always use a phantom center until you have enough funds to buy a center, which also means you should look for speakers that have matching cc's for future upgrading. The brands that would top my audition list woud be Paradigm Studio 20's V3's, B&W 603 S3's, JM Lab Cobalt 707S (model number may be wrong), Monitor Bronze, Energy C series, Maggie MMG's (this is iffy, call Magnapan to make sure a small receiver is up to the task), and of course Von Schweikert VR1's. All of these, save the Maggies, are very well respected, come from reputable manufacturers, and are efficient enough to be driven by a starter receiver. Obviously, I'd recommend standmounts at this price point.

For a sub, check out HSU Research or build a Dayton kit from Parts Express. Kexodusc, a member at AR, is a big-time DIY'er and audiophile and seems to think very highly of these subs, IIRC. Listen to everything you can and pick what sounds best.

Any mass market receiver from Denon, Yammie, HK, or Onkyo will be just fine. I think only HK and Yammie offer auto-room eq at this price point and I consider this feature to be far more valuable than 20 different DSP's you'll never use. Naturally, they would be my first choice.

You can get a prog scan dvd player from Toshiba from Costco for less than $100. I'd also look into Panny, maybe the S77 depending on how much you have left over from the receiver purchase.

If there are any good combo VCR/DVD that also pack progressive-scan, along with all the features and connections I need, I want to know. But if there aren't, I'll settle for a non-combo player.
    The only one I know of is from Go! Video. Check Costco's website. Keep in mind if one side goes, the whole thing goes in for repair and you're left without video. For this reason alone, I'd avoid combo units.

And this may be a dumb question, but what is a receiver, and do I really need one?
    There are no dumb questions, only dumb answers (something I excel at ). A receiver is your basic all-in-one piece. Technically, a receiver melds a two channel amp, pre-amp, and tuner into one chassis. An A/V receiver is for home theater and combines multiple amps (usually 5-9 channels), a pre-amp/processor (for surround sound decoding), and tuner into one chassis. Do you need one? Only if you don't already have a separate amp, pre/pro, and tuner laying around collecting dust.

I've reviewed LCD vs plasma and I'm leaning towards LCD because they seem more cost-effective. What are the pros and cons of each? My screen size options are limited to 32", 37", or 42" (don't have a very large room). 37" specifically is the best screen size for the space it'll be going into. And I'd prefer a TV with an integrated HD tuner.

This thread will tell you all you need to know regarding different technologies. As a value-added bonus, the OP was also looking for tv's in your price range.

Hope this helps.

Asr
    AR Newbie Registered Member
    Thanks for the helpful posts, been looking into those speaker brands.

I was wondering if it's really necessary to audition speakers. Most of the retail stores in my area that carry any serious audio equipment in sufficient quantities are located near Denver, which is a long drive away for me. Would it be wise to do a blind purchase? (based on reviews of course)

Also, are there any good 5.1 sets that can be had for under $1000? I'm willing to go 2.1 of course (and prefer it anyway since the TV room has limited space), but if there's a really good set available for under that price, I could make room for a 5.1 set.

This week's Best Buy ad has a mention of "Denon now at Best Buy." I found these two links, any comments on either system?

http://bestbuy.shoplocal.com/bestbuy...id=-2096536673
    http://bestbuy.shoplocal.com/bestbuy...id=-2096515645

Thanks for the helpful posts, been looking into those speaker brands.

I was wondering if it's really necessary to audition speakers. Most of the retail stores in my area that carry any serious audio equipment in sufficient quantities are located near Denver, which is a long drive away for me. Would it be wise to do a blind purchase? (based on reviews of course)

Also, are there any good 5.1 sets that can be had for under $1000? I'm willing to go 2.1 of course (and prefer it anyway since the TV room has limited space), but if there's a really good set available for under that price, I could make room for a 5.1 set.

This week's Best Buy ad has a mention of "Denon now at Best Buy." I found these two links, any comments on either system?

http://bestbuy.shoplocal.com/bestbuy...id=-2096536673
    http://bestbuy.shoplocal.com/bestbuy...id=-2096515645

I would definately go and listen to different speakers. What sounds good to me, might sound like garbage to you.

I think the suggestion of going 2.1 with your budget is based on experience. I just upgaded from a JVC avr/Sony speaker combo and the difference in sound is day and night. My current setup is a Denon avr/Energy C-series speaker combo and man what a huge difference. It will be worth it in the long run to slowly build a nice quality system as suggested, than to run out and buy a average 5.1 system.

If there's a Good Guys in your area, the Energy C-9 towers are on sale for 50% off. You might wanna take a listen. Just a small suggestion.

I'm a relative audio newb (even more a video newb) and I'm looking to overhaul everything I have right now, which is a non-PS DVD player and 27" CRT TV. Here's what I'm planning:

If there are any good combo VCR/DVD that also pack progressive-scan, along with all the features and connections I need, I want to know. But if there aren't, I'll settle for a non-combo player. And this may be a dumb question, but what is a receiver, and do I really need one?

First I would adjust your budget a bit and add more funds toward the price range of AVR. You could take about $700 from your HDTV budget and add this to the AVR. Next to your speakers (IMHO) your AVR is one of the most important pieces you will be buying. As for the video part I would go for a good DVD universal player (one that supports DVD-A and SACD). You can pick up VCR for under $100 anywhere. From the size you are talking about for the HDTV you should be able to find something in the 1k-2k range. Both Plasma and LCD have their short comings in the long run, but give a very nice picture. For your size range you may still find a great CRT type T.V. in a 16:9 style. Some have posted that you should go with 2.1 speakers, but I would say get the 5.1 setup. 1k can get you a good mid level setup.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Thread Information