• 11-04-2006, 12:54 PM
    Groundbeef
    My Theater is coming Together, take a look!
    I have been working for quite a while (too long as my wife reminds me) to finish my basement. I am hopeful that it is all coming together by the end of the year. I started with an empty basement, few tools, and even less construction knowledge. With help from my Father-in-Law, I have slowly gotten to the point of nearing completion.

    The best feature will (IMHO) will be the TV area. As seen in the pictures my current setup leaves much to be desired. The TV and crappy TV/AV cabinet is going in the trash. I have come up with an elegant solution so that I can mount a 50-55" plasma flush on the wall. When the house was built, the builder sunk the fireplace cutout all the way to the basement in the foundation. We have a fireplace in the living room upstairs, and there was a 4' x 3' hole in the run of the basement wall. I framed the inside, had the electrician run electrical, cable, phone and internet cable (ethernet) into the hole. I then drywalled the wall straight across the opening, with extra bracing on the inside to handle the weight of the TV.

    After all work is done, a cabinet shop is building a custom cabinet that will fit inside the "hole". I specified that the drawers be reomovable, this way I can mount the TV, and hide all wires on the inside. The put drawers back in, and put all AV equipment inside. All power is inside, and no wiring will be exposed.

    Anyway, I am slowly buying up some AV equipment and it's all on track.

    See what you think about it.


    I have 2 many pictures to post, so go here to see them:

    http://Mckahinfamily.net2go.com
  • 11-05-2006, 07:05 AM
    westcott
    My only suggestion is to move your speakers further down, closer to ear level.

    Good Luck and keep us posted.
  • 11-05-2006, 10:47 AM
    Groundbeef
    I have them angled down to the floor. Unfortunatly, in the rear, I had to mount them up as there is no wall except where I lowered the ceiling to 8'.

    The front speakers are wired in, and I really don't want wires hanging down the wall.

    Thanks for the suggestion though.
  • 11-05-2006, 02:57 PM
    Grandpaw
    Looks like you will have a nice setup when your done.

    My suggestion would be to cut the file size down on your pictures. It took a little time to load and I have the faster DSL. Anyone without a high speed connection will probably never see them, Jeff
  • 11-06-2006, 12:21 PM
    topspeed
    Why plasma? They don't go to 1080p, something you'd naturally want so you can enjoy the BluRay on your PS3, right?
  • 11-06-2006, 12:48 PM
    jazz nut
    I thought plasmas have 1080p capability as the new ones from Pioneer like models 1540, 1140 and 940 elites. I am confused. Your thoughts - topspeed.
  • 11-06-2006, 03:47 PM
    topspeed
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jazz nut
    I thought plasmas have 1080p capability as the new ones from Pioneer like models 1540, 1140 and 940 elites. I am confused. Your thoughts - topspeed.

    1365x768 is not true HiDef. 1920x1080 is the accepted standard. Therefore, plasma is technically still not true HD. If you want that in a flat panel, you'll need LCoS, LCD, DLP, or SED.

    Hope this helps.
  • 11-06-2006, 05:12 PM
    Groundbeef
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by topspeed
    Why plasma? They don't go to 1080p, something you'd naturally want so you can enjoy the BluRay on your PS3, right?

    You must have me confused with Woochier. He's going to stand all night in the cold for the PS3. I have the XBOX 360, and I plan on getting the HD-DVD drive.

    As far as 1080p, I really haven't given it too much thought right now. I gotta get the drywall installed in the sections that it isn't hung yet. The contractor is swamped right now, so its a waiting game. After that I have to get the cabinet installed, and some carpet laid. Then its off to BB for the TV. So I got about 4 months until then. Hopefully after the holidays the prices are even lower.

    LCD isn't as attractive for me. I really am going to need the wide viewing angles that Plasma affords.
  • 11-06-2006, 05:44 PM
    topspeed
    Nah, Wooch doesn't have time.

    Besides, you know you're a closet Sonyphile. All of your PS3 hatin' is a smoke screen in a feeble attemp to mask your lust for all things Trinitron. You probably have illegal images of the beta units hidden away on your laptop somewhere...

    Seriously, you're in a basement! If ever there was a room begging for projection, this is it! Slap a motorized screen and projector in that room! What r'ya thinkin'?!?
  • 11-06-2006, 06:35 PM
    Groundbeef
    Perhaps in another lifetime. Frankly, I hadn't given a ton of thought to projection. I do some gaming (about 5 hours a week) and have been really satisified with my 37" SONY WEGA Plasma. I have concerns with projection bulb life, and working w/ gaming. Plasma and LCD not so much.

    Projection does have its benefits, but I REALLY like the picture on a Plasma. Early LCD pictures kinda gave me the willies with the jaggy lines, and I really havent come around to them.

    As far as Sony goes, I like them. I have a ton of Sony gear, but I think that they have gotten away from the consumer as of late. I see a lot of legacy that is being relied upon, and smaller more nimble firms chipping away at their dominance. A few years ago, I would have never given HP/ Pioneer/ even AWIA a second look at for TV's. But now, it seems that Sony is just outpriced for what the competition is offering. I paid a huge premium for the Plasma I have now. But when I got it, it really was the cat's meow. Now, I think that Sony has priced themselves out of a lot of living rooms.

    The PS3 included.
  • 11-06-2006, 11:04 PM
    evil__betty
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by topspeed
    1365x768 is not true HiDef. 1920x1080 is the accepted standard. Therefore, plasma is technically still not true HD. If you want that in a flat panel, you'll need LCoS, LCD, DLP, or SED.

    Hope this helps.

    They only call it "True HD" because its good marketing that causes people to look at their 2 year old set that they spent 4K on and see garbadge instead of the kick-ass picture that they've always had. To say that 1080i/720p is not HD is mis-information. If you have a TV that can scale and de-interlace properly, you will see marginal difference between the two sets - and thats if you have two identical TV's to compare against at the same time. Don't believe all the marketing, but big numbers do sell lots of stuff (HTiB with 1000W power at only $249! We know that it really doesn't have 1000W but the number sure makes you feel special about buying it). If he's looking for flat pannel, I definately wouldn't look in the DLP or LCoS sections and where can you find a SED these days? He's stuck with either plasma or LCD right now.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    Early LCD pictures kinda gave me the willies with the jaggy lines, and I really havent come around to them.

    Take a look at the new Sharp D62 lineup. They have the best picture I have seen on almost any TV and are amazingly priced to boot! The 52" model is only $4499 CAN - almost $400 less than the 46"XBR2 and it looks better. Plus there are no issues to worry about with gaming as they have a 4ms reponse time and zero burn in. Just my two cents.

    By the way, I can't get into your page.
  • 11-07-2006, 10:03 AM
    topspeed
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by evil__betty
    They only call it "True HD" because its good marketing that causes people to look at their 2 year old set that they spent 4K on and see garbadge instead of the kick-ass picture that they've always had. To say that 1080i/720p is not HD is mis-information. If you have a TV that can scale and de-interlace properly, you will see marginal difference between the two sets - and thats if you have two identical TV's to compare against at the same time.

    Agreed. That's why I said "technically" in the description. I made no mention of the ability to actually see the difference, just like one would be hard pressed to see the difference between 720p and 1080p at normal viewing distances.

    BTW, I was under the impression Toshiba was releasing SED this month (November). You're the dealer, you tell us!
  • 11-07-2006, 10:09 AM
    edtyct
    End of next year.
  • 11-07-2006, 10:34 AM
    Woochifer
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    You must have me confused with Woochier. He's going to stand all night in the cold for the PS3. I have the XBOX 360, and I plan on getting the HD-DVD drive.

    You must have me confused with a different Woochifer. I've said all along that I plan on waiting things out before getting a PS3. Even though it's still short sleeves weather here in Cali, I got way too many other priorities right now to shell out for a new gaming console.

    BTW, congrats on the theater. (tried to find the pics, but they ain't available right now) Since you're redoing up a basement, I would hope that you've included some kind of acoustical treatment for the walls and the corners. Otherwise you're looking at some heinous sound refections.
  • 11-07-2006, 10:36 AM
    Tarheel_
    gotta agree with Topspeed here....i just recently enclosed a portion of my basement (12x24) room and bought a used HD projector, bought a new bulb, built a 120" 16:9 screen and the picture is amazing.
    The basement allows total light control. Plus, you can get a new HD projector ($1200), build a nice screen ($100-$200), build a projector mount ($20) and have a HUGE HD picture to wow all your friends and really be 'theater like'.
    All for about the same price as a 40 something plasma.

    it's really in your best interest to look at all video options before deciding....take a trip to a local retailer that offers front projection and see what the experience is like. Luckily, you have time to decide.
  • 11-07-2006, 04:28 PM
    Groundbeef
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Woochifer
    You must have me confused with a different Woochifer. I've said all along that I plan on waiting things out before getting a PS3. Even though it's still short sleeves weather here in Cali, I got way too many other priorities right now to shell out for a new gaming console.

    BTW, congrats on the theater. (tried to find the pics, but they ain't available right now) Since you're redoing up a basement, I would hope that you've included some kind of acoustical treatment for the walls and the corners. Otherwise you're looking at some heinous sound refections.

    Nah, I know who you are. Always nice to have you chime in.

    As far as the pics are concerned, I am trying to figure out why the server is not directing traffic to the pictures. Not sure if too many people are trying to view or what. I've not used the service before for opening it up to outside traffic. I am working on it. Sorry about the problem.
  • 11-08-2006, 03:16 PM
    evil__betty
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by topspeed
    BTW, I was under the impression Toshiba was releasing SED this month (November). You're the dealer, you tell us!

    Like most companies that claim they have a "plasma killer" comming out by Christmas, or whenever, Toshiba seems to have promised release dates that were completely unrealistic... Anyone remember when the original release date for the PS3 was? The main diffuculty is trying to build facilities that are capable of mass production of the new product. LCD/Plasma have been around long enough that there are loads of established, state-of-the-art factories that can pump out large numbers of pannels everyday. Retrofitting or building from scratch a plant to do the same numbers is very expensive - not to mention the cost of R&D. Eventually if Canon and Toshiba can get production up on the SED's, they will have a great (but probably more expensive) TV on their hands.
  • 11-08-2006, 08:10 PM
    Woochifer
    Okay, just got the pictures to load. Looks like you got quite a project going!

    And it also looks like you got a LOT of barewalls and flat surfaces to contend with up front. Believe it or not, the unfinished room with the exposed beams in the back might actually have better acoustics than when the walls and ceiling details are done. It will definitely sound different when the detail work is finished.
  • 11-09-2006, 06:23 AM
    Groundbeef
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Okay, just got the pictures to load. Looks like you got quite a project going!

    And it also looks like you got a LOT of barewalls and flat surfaces to contend with up front. Believe it or not, the unfinished room with the exposed beams in the back might actually have better acoustics than when the walls and ceiling details are done. It will definitely sound different when the detail work is finished.

    Yes, it was definatly much bigger than I had originally anticipated. Being a complete novice took away any fear that I should have had.

    After all walls are done, we do plan on putting down some thicker carpet. I hope that it will help control some of the sound reflecting around the walls. Its gotta be better than the concrete!