Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

My Search for a DVD player

I'm currently looking to upgrade my DVD player from a 5 disc Panasonic to something with a little more quality.

The panasonic player freezes up - from time to time I get choppy video - sometimes it respondes to the remote (yes with fresh batteries) sometimes it doesn't - sometimes it reads my discs, sometimes it doesn't.

In otherwords it has been nothing but problems.

I own a Yammy AV/R so I was thinking about going the route of a Yammy DVD player to match - but only if it's performance is up to par.

What are your opinions on Yamaha DVD players? And for that matter - what are some other DVD players I should be looking at? I have about $400 to play with on this one.

Thanks for your help everyone! Ciao.

Yamaha DVD players are based on Panasonic transports (as are Denons).

I have found Pioneer (Elite) DVD players to be reliable. I have two Pioneers that each have outlasted my two Panasonics combined, with no problems whatsoever. I'd stay away from a changer though.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Yamaha C750 multi-disc that plays just about any type of disc. Around 300 bucks
    Look & Listen

AR "Wisdom of Yoda"Member LEAFS264's Avatar
    The Integra DPC-8.5 will play anything as well. 6 disc changer to boot!! You can get one for around 500.00 if you beg and pleed at your local dealer. I was strongly considering that unit before I picked up my Elite DV-59AVI.

Jay

Talking

Do you think the DPC has 200 bucks more of something over the C750?
    Look & Listen

The Integra has better sound and build quality by a long margin. Is that worth $200? Depends on the user.

Plus a 3 year warranty with the Integra.

Forum Regular
    I will be needing a universal player soon as well, and was looking at the Integra 6.5. Anyone have any experience with this model? is the onyl difference between the 6.5 and the 8.5 is the fact that the 8.5 is a changer?

Also, how important is HDMI?

Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    The Integra has better sound and build quality by a long margin. Is that worth $200? Depends on the user.
    Well if your using the dig connection,how does it sound better?
    Look & Listen

HDMI is really important if you have an LCD or DLP because they have a native resolution of 720p,so if you use an HDMI cable your going to get the best picture possible. That's what i'm told.
    But I used component and HDMI and switched between the two of them and....not very different.
    I thought the HDMI was better.......but maybe I just WANTED to see a better picture.

Jay

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    Well if your using the dig connection,how does it sound better?

Are you trying to be funny.......

You said better sound. Better explain.. I'm not trying to be funny. I would like to know why its better for 200 bucks?
    Look & Listen

WOLFSON DAC'S MY BOY, WOLFSON DAC'S.

Jay

Not to redo an old but that wont matter when using the dig connection for DVD and DC's.
    Look & Listen

WHAT!!! When a cd or dvd player reads the info off the disc.....it must go from the digital info and change the signal through the anolog outputs on the back. Hence the the Digital to Anolog converter. When you use the Digital only connection you are bypassing the dac's.
    And the wolfson dac's are far superior to anything in the Yammy player.
    They are also better than my Elite DV-59AVI, I bought that mostly for picture.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by LEAFS264
    WHAT!!! When a cd or dvd player reads the info off the disc.....it must go from the digital info and change the signal through the anolog outputs on the back. Hence the the Digital to Anolog converter. When you use the Digital only connection you are bypassing the dac's.

Jay
    Maybe for CD playback but the original poster's request had to do with DVD movie playback, necessitating a digital out for 5.1.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_pci
    Maybe for CD playback but the original poster's request had to do with DVD movie playback, necessitating a digital out for 5.1.

No, it was for a higher quality dvd player. The Integra DPC-8.5 is a higher quallity player than the Yamaha C750 which was what the last couple of posts are about. And the reason why I was talking about the dac's

Jay

Jay
    Right,so the players have nothing to do with better sound when using the dig connection so my question is,why does it sound better for 200 bucks? I must be missing something.
    Look & Listen

Why are we using the Digital connection again?? The anolog sounds soooooo much better. Why waste it by using the Digital. I think I must be missing somthing.

Why are we using the Digital connection again?? The anolog sounds soooooo much better. Why waste it by using the Digital. I think I must be missing somthing.
    For 5.1 digital movie soundtracks, that's why. Do you listen to movies though analog connections?

yes i do. I let my player to the decoding......better separation

Jay

Jay
    Interesting. Very interesting.

Forum Regular
    I demoed a couple Yamaha DVD players. I know for sure one of them was the 660 or something like that- I can't remember the other one (around $250 price range). I found they were both very sluggish when switching between discs and it just seemed very slow opening and closing. Also, it was a pain to fast forward or rewind with the controller- kept on skipping chapters instead of fast forwarding- pain in the butt! I decided to stick with my single disc player- however, I'm in the market of a multi-disc player now. Also, the Yamaha didn't seem to do too well with the random play with CDs. I put 5 discs in and set it to random play while I did stuff around the house- it played 3 songs in a row on one CD and then switched to another CD and played 2 straight on that one- not very random to me. At first I thought it was just a coincidence, but it did it again later in the day- even played the same song twice in 5 songs.

Forum Regular
    Get the Harmon Kardon 31 DVD player.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Z
    I demoed a couple Yamaha DVD players. I know for sure one of them was the 660 or something like that- I can't remember the other one (around $250 price range). I found they were both very sluggish when switching between discs and it just seemed very slow opening and closing. Also, it was a pain to fast forward or rewind with the controller- kept on skipping chapters instead of fast forwarding- pain in the butt! I decided to stick with my single disc player- however, I'm in the market of a multi-disc player now. Also, the Yamaha didn't seem to do too well with the random play with CDs. I put 5 discs in and set it to random play while I did stuff around the house- it played 3 songs in a row on one CD and then switched to another CD and played 2 straight on that one- not very random to me. At first I thought it was just a coincidence, but it did it again later in the day- even played the same song twice in 5 songs.

Talking

Jay
    I had a comment but i'll keep it to myself.
    Look & Listen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information