AR Regular

My Marantz DV4300 has died & I'm mad.

It's only 2 years and 5 months old, and I've been told it's the laser. The rest of the unit is warrantied for 3 years, but the laser only for one. I bought it in the first place because of the Marantz reputation, and paid more than for other similar units at the time, so I am not a happy chappy. I have been quoted a repair price which today could buy at least 2 cheaper units. I told them to forget it - I will buy something else. Based on this experience, I won't be buying any other Marantz products. And I was considering strongly buying their surround receiver.

Once again, I turn to you for advice. Are there any DVD players out there with decent life spans on their lasers?

Keep in mind that Marantzes from two or three years ago were basically rebadged Philips products. And even there, I doubt that Philips built the laser assembly or the transport for that matter. Hard to differentiate DVD players because so many of them are outsourced either in part or in whole, and most high end DVD players might have respecified components inside, but the basic transport (including the laser assembly) likely comes from Panasonic, Samsung, Pioneer, Sony or one of several Chinese firms that make cheap DVD transports. Unfortunately, DVD players are not usually built to last, and a laser burning out is pretty common. My parents are on their third DVD player in three years. They buy the cheapies and keep replacing them.

If your Marantz player has upgraded components in the video or audio sections, then it might be worthwhile replacing the laser assembly.

AR Regular

Thanks Wooch. You say

"the basic transport (including the laser assembly) likely comes from Panasonic, Samsung, Pioneer, Sony".

Does this mean it would be safer to buy from those companies which make their own transports?

Get a Pioneer if you want a player that lasts. The only dud they ever had was a 5-disc changer model. I have two different single disc models that are over three years old with no problems and know a couple of people with with circa 1997 and 1998 players that are still going strong.

FWIW I had two different Panasonic players in the past and didn't even get a year and a half out of them.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Forum Regular
    Picking DVD players (like a lot of electronics) is a crapshoot! My old Sony from 6 years ago (about $300 at the time) is still running strong- I like it better than some other newer players. The only problem is that it doesn't play all the formats. My brother bought a JVC that had good reviews and it crapped out on him a year later.

I agree with Wooch, newer DVD players aren't built to last a long time. I recommend sticking with a decent name brand like Yamaha, Denon, Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba and buy the most inexpensive model that has everything you need.

I'm in the market for a new player, too- I brought home a Yamaha 6660 or something like that and I didn't like it at all- I decided to deal with my older one for now.

Forum Regular
    These days you need to shop smart i.e. go to the nearest Walmart and buy something for $29. If it lasts you a year or more then thank your lucky stars. If not, throw it out and spend the $29 all over again.
    Wooch, Sir TT, etal are a part of a Northern California Conspiracy!
    Smokey, admit you are using your receiver as a prepro!!

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    Get a Pioneer if you want a player that lasts. The only dud they ever had was a 5-disc changer model. I have two different single disc models that are over three years old with no problems and know a couple of people with with circa 1997 and 1998 players that are still going strong.

FWIW I had two different Panasonic players in the past and didn't even get a year and a half out of them.
    I like Pioneer just fine, but they'll be the first to admit their QC problems over the last year or so with their entry level DVD players, especially the 578a. If you go with Pioneer, I'd recommend looking at the higher quality Elite players.

I have a Toshiba SD-4960 that is average in the video department (better than the older players I bought 4 and 2 years ago though) and it plays DVD-A and SACD. It's a great little versatile unit for cheap. Remote sucks big time, and it's ugly silver, but it's sold under $100 in some places (J and R had it on for $80 if memory serves). Not bad considering it was quite popular at $130.

I learned something on this thread, didn't realize the laser burning out was common in DVD players. Guess I've been rather lucky so far, though my cheap Toshiba did decide to quit reading SACD's, which I'm told was caused by a bad circuit board somehow. Toshiba return mailed me a new unit in 4 days, at their expense and phoned to follow-up. Pretty good service for a $90 DVD player IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyMuso
    Does this mean it would be safer to buy from those companies which make their own transports?
    Not necessarily. Panasonic builds the DVD transports for Denon and Yamaha, among others. But, both of those companies might specify different processing circuitry, include dual power supplies, and/or use a heavier better isolated chassis.

As others have said, nowadays a DVD player really is a crapshoot. They generally perform well, but aside from the higher end players, they're built with flyweight components and break easily.

AR Regular

Thanks all

Your insights are invaluable as always. Gives me food for thought in my replacement quest.

I wonder if it would be valuable to consumers if someone started an online survey to find out which brands self destruct early, ie shortly after they are out of warranty. If we then started boycotting brands which give the most trouble, perhaps manufacturers would lift their game. I feel that we consumers are getting a raw deal at the moment. What's the point of a cheap price if it keeps breaking down? I for one would be willing to pay a little more if someone gave me a guarantee that their product would last for at least five years (or more) and backed it up with a replacement policy. In my case, even when I bought the Marantz, it probably cost more than twice that of other similar players on the market, and I was expecting a decent life span.

Thread Information