Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My finished homemade HT Omikey, JSE and anyone else that's interested

After about two weeks of intense night labor my built-in is done. It only took seven weeks to get the darn hometheater seating delivered but here it is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My finished homemade HT Omikey, JSE and anyone else that's interested-speaker-enclosure-uc.jpg   My finished homemade HT Omikey, JSE and anyone else that's interested-tower-construction.jpg   My finished homemade HT Omikey, JSE and anyone else that's interested-seating-area.jpg   My finished homemade HT Omikey, JSE and anyone else that's interested-one-two-pair.jpg   My finished homemade HT Omikey, JSE and anyone else that's interested-front-view.jpg  

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by wasch_24
    After about two weeks of intense night labor my built-in is done. It only took seven weeks to get the darn hometheater seating delivered but here it is.
    Very, very nice, Wasch! What is it, 5.1, 6.1?

Quote Originally Posted by Lexmark3200
    Very, very nice, Wasch! What is it, 5.1, 6.1?
    I have it set up in 7.1 using the PL IIx processor on my Yamaha RX-V1400.
    HDistheonlyTV...Voom, Voom

JSE

Man, that is awesome! Very nice work. The look is very clean and simple. A lot of poeple just tend to pile all there components in a corner and have cables, DVDs, CDs, and other things strewn all over the place. This looks very nice. I've been trying to get my wife to agree to a dedicated theater room in our house. So far she has resisted but I'm going to show her these pictures.

Nice seating as well.

So when's the party so we can all invade your house and test it out?

Congrats on the theater, first class work.

JSE

Quote Originally Posted by JSE
    Man, that is awesome! Very nice work. The look is very clean and simple. A lot of poeple just tend to pile all there components in a corner and have cables, DVDs, CDs, and other things strewn all over the place. This looks very nice. I've been trying to get my wife to agree to a dedicated theater room in our house. So far she has resisted but I'm going to show her these pictures.

Nice seating as well.

So when's the party so we can all invade your house and test it out?

Congrats on the theater, first class work.

JSE
    Thanks, come on over any time, I have Voom as well, HD
    It's funny you mention the wife factor. Building the builtin was here number one condition of the HT investment. Wires and "stuff" all over is exactly what she wanted to prevent. I actually had the TV and equipment under a dust cover the whole two weeks I was building. Talk about inspiration!

JSE
    Thanks, come on over any time, I have Voom as well, HD
    It's funny you mention the wife factor. Building the builtin was here number one condition of the HT investment. Wires and "stuff" all over is exactly what she wanted to prevent. I actually had the TV and equipment under a dust cover the whole two weeks I was building. Talk about inspiration!

Damn, Voom to? I'm starting to hate you!

How do you like the Voom so far?

JSE

Damn, Voom to? I'm starting to hate you!

How do you like the Voom so far?

JSE
    I am really likeing it. After I bought all my equipment in February and March I was thinking about getting sattelite TV. At first I was seriously considering DirectTV because I was interested in getting the NFL Sunday Ticket. I would have gotten it too if I didn't have to spend another $300 or so on their HD box. That would have taken quite a bit of charm to convince the wife, especially since our check book was still on fire . Then I saw a Voom ad on the net and looked into it.
    They have 21 exclusive HD channels that encompass a pretty good array of programming, There's an HDNews channel that is all HD. There's ten movie channels that they call Cinema Ten. These play older classics that have been converted from the source film to HD. These are in 720p, still looks great, and each channel repeats one movie all day so there are ten movies on at any given time. All of the other exclusives are all 1080i and in digital 5.1. Along with these the basic package gives you like 100 SD channels, Discovery HD, Bravo HD, ESPN HD, and an over the air antenna included with installation for $40/month. I pay an extra $10/month to rent the box and $15 for HBO which gets me like 8 SD HBO channels including the East and West HBO-HD channels. For $80 a month you can get the VaVaVoom package which is all extras except the PlayBoy HD channel. That includes Sho, Cinemax, Straz, and HBO all with two HD channels and the regular SD you get anywhere else.

There are some growing pains going on with Voom once and a while but they usually work them out rather quickly. Overall I am very pleased, especially since they include the OTA antenna install for free.

Forum Regular

impressive

I have to tell, ya, that looks pretty damn good. A little tight, but you do what you can do. Two questions:

1) is it a pain to add/remove components or mess with wires. With everything so nicely hidden, I wonder if you have some kind of "trap door" to access the back of the equipment.

2) any formal training, or did you just take your time/measure twice, cut once?

All in all, I have to say that I am VERY impressed, and hope to have the opportunity to do something similar once the wifey and I decide to buy a house instead of renting one.

Forum Regular
    Looks great! I'm jealous! How big is the room? How is the mains'sound since the mains enclosure looks tight in the picture? Do they have enough room to "breath"?

Quote Originally Posted by Mania
    I have to tell, ya, that looks pretty damn good. A little tight, but you do what you can do. Two questions:

1) is it a pain to add/remove components or mess with wires. With everything so nicely hidden, I wonder if you have some kind of "trap door" to access the back of the equipment.

2) any formal training, or did you just take your time/measure twice, cut once?

All in all, I have to say that I am VERY impressed, and hope to have the opportunity to do something similar once the wifey and I decide to buy a house instead of renting one.
    Thank you very much.

1-There is an access door on each column behind the TV. It's on wheels so it just slides forward and I have access to holes I put in the 2x4's to run the cables as well as a surge protector strip for power.

2-No formal training. I was just put to good use by my father as a kid. I actually designed and built our shed when I was fourteen.

Quote Originally Posted by AZHT
    Looks great! I'm jealous! How big is the room? How is the mains'sound since the mains enclosure looks tight in the picture? Do they have enough room to "breath"?
    Thanks,
    The entire room is "L" shaped. The space the HT is in is about 13' wide and close to 19' long. The columns come out 36" from each wall (rear and sides). The "L" shape is why I had to mount the surrounds on the ceiling. I really tried not to but stands just aren't an option having a six month old daughter and three year old neice that frequently visits.

The mains actually sound better in their compartments. The LFE blends nicely with the main output. I think it is the way the bass resonates in the space since the 10" woofers are side firing. I completely sealed the seams of the "boxes" and put Dynamat on the bottom of the speakers. The speakers are about 10" wide, the opening is around 13" and there is about 1' space all around inside.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    The mains actually sound better in their compartments. The LFE blends nicely with the main output. I think it is the way the bass resonates in the space since the 10" woofers are side firing. I completely sealed the seams of the "boxes" and put Dynamat on the bottom of the speakers. The speakers are about 10" wide, the opening is around 13" and there is about 1' space all around inside.
    I know I wasn't asked, but I would like to offer a suggestion. Keep in mind that the box that you put the speakers in is like another room. It will have resonances that you may or may not hear. To make absolutely sure you do not hear them, I would pack either fireproof foam, or acoustical batting(you can get this from radio shack and speaker filler) in each cavity very tightly. This will mute(or reduce in volume) in cavity resonances that are present.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Forum Regular
    Awesome advise my brudda. How've you been?
    BTW, a very nice and professional looking setup. Are you using the Yamaha as a processor?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    I know I wasn't asked, but I would like to offer a suggestion. Keep in mind that the box that you put the speakers in is like another room. It will have resonances that you may or may not hear. To make absolutely sure you do not hear them, I would pack either fireproof foam, or acoustical batting(you can get this from radio shack and speaker filler) in each cavity very tightly. This will mute(or reduce in volume) in cavity resonances that are present.
    If I do this, won't it have a negative effect on the air flow created by the side firing woofers? I'm not super smart on sound frequencies and how they behave so excuse me if that is a dumb question. I'm very happy with the sound quality I get now and I have lights in there that create a nice glow while listening to music. My budget for the project has been exhausted for now, but I will keep that in mind when the bug bites again. We all know it will.

Quote Originally Posted by nick4433
    Awesome advise my brudda. How've you been?
    BTW, a very nice and professional looking setup. Are you using the Yamaha as a processor?
    The Yamaha is doing all the work. I wouldn't consider myself an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination so I actually like to use the DSP's they have. I leave the Yammie on PLIIx for all sources beside music and use the spectacle DSP for all movies. I really like how it makes the room seem larger and the sound fuller.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    If I do this, won't it have a negative effect on the air flow created by the side firing woofers? I'm not super smart on sound frequencies and how they behave so excuse me if that is a dumb question. I'm very happy with the sound quality I get now and I have lights in there that create a nice glow while listening to music. My budget for the project has been exhausted for now, but I will keep that in mind when the bug bites again. We all know it will.
    I had no idea these speakers have side firing woofers. This is actually worse than I thought. When you place a subwoofer in a room, it interact with the rooms modes and nodes. Where the sub is in relationship to corners greatly accentuates this interaction. What you have is a couple of problems. You have a driver in VERY close proximity to a wall, and it is placed in a small room to boot. A bass driver placed 2in from the wall is going to have a VERY sawtooth frequency response as the output bounces off the wall and back at the driver, which sends the reflection of the reflection back to the wall and to the driver and so on. Frequencies are boosted and cancelled and the bass is not smooth. Now you also have this driver sitting is a VERY small room where room interactions are more profound(smaller rooms have more bass problems). I am willing to bet that if you pulled that speaker out of that space, and out into the room a bit, it would sound like a different speaker altogether. My suggestion about the stuffing will dampening the small room problem, but the only way to deal with the bass driver being to close to the walls is to move it out of there, and that would take away from the great work you have done. Just my professional opinion
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    I had no idea these speakers have side firing woofers. This is actually worse than I thought. When you place a subwoofer in a room, it interact with the rooms modes and nodes. Where the sub is in relationship to corners greatly accentuates this interaction. What you have is a couple of problems. You have a driver in VERY close proximity to a wall, and it is placed in a small room to boot. A bass driver placed 2in from the wall is going to have a VERY sawtooth frequency response as the output bounces off the wall and back at the driver, which sends the reflection of the reflection back to the wall and to the driver and so on. Frequencies are boosted and cancelled and the bass is not smooth. Now you also have this driver sitting is a VERY small room where room interactions are more profound(smaller rooms have more bass problems). I am willing to bet that if you pulled that speaker out of that space, and out into the room a bit, it would sound like a different speaker altogether. My suggestion about the stuffing will dampening the small room problem, but the only way to deal with the bass driver being to close to the walls is to move it out of there, and that would take away from the great work you have done. Just my professional opinion
    The woofer is actually close to 14" away from the interior wall of the space it is in. Before I built the enclosures that the speakers are in I had the syatem setup and operational in the room. To be honest everyone that had watched a movie, that's 95% of how I use the system, before and after the install actually prefers the sound quality after install. I'm sure that in a technical sense I am probably missing out on something but I like the way it sounds as is. Thanks for your suggestions anyway.

Forum Regular

OMIKEY is in WOW

Wasch !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

O U T S T A N D I N G !!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome dood !!

Your work looks GREAT !! I know you are enjoying the fruits of your labor, as one can tell this wasn't a slap-it-together project. I'd love to come over and watch a movie

I'm still in the process of getting mine done. I have all the equipment, and the TV and cables. Just need to get on with the next step. I've been distracted with work and other home projects. We just finished painting EVERY room in the house - glad that's done ! We (wife and I) did that ourself, we contracted do have LiquidCeramic painted on the outside, they finish up today, and we had leafguard gutters installed.

NOW THEN, I get to get back to workin on the install of the HT. Can't wait.

I sure hope it turns out to be as nice as yours !! I really like those seats that you have, and the green color in that space.

Just sit back now Wasch and ENJOY IT !!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by omikey
    Wasch !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

O U T S T A N D I N G !!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome dood !!

Your work looks GREAT !! I know you are enjoying the fruits of your labor, as one can tell this wasn't a slap-it-together project. I'd love to come over and watch a movie

I'm still in the process of getting mine done. I have all the equipment, and the TV and cables. Just need to get on with the next step. I've been distracted with work and other home projects. We just finished painting EVERY room in the house - glad that's done ! We (wife and I) did that ourself, we contracted do have LiquidCeramic painted on the outside, they finish up today, and we had leafguard gutters installed.

NOW THEN, I get to get back to workin on the install of the HT. Can't wait.

I sure hope it turns out to be as nice as yours !! I really like those seats that you have, and the green color in that space.

Just sit back now Wasch and ENJOY IT !!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks man. We are definitely enjoying it. It's funny how small of a world it is because we too are in the middle of painting every room in the house. All different colors of course. Thank god for the return areas at Home Depot and Lowe's. $25 buckets of paint for $2.50

JSE
    Thanks man. We are definitely enjoying it. It's funny how small of a world it is because we too are in the middle of painting every room in the house. All different colors of course. Thank god for the return areas at Home Depot and Lowe's. $25 buckets of paint for $2.50

Me to? Weird. I have been romodeling our entire downstairs for about the last year. I have become quite the handy man. We are also painting like crazy. I have been having to re-texture and even re-sheetrock the walls before the paint goes on. My wife keeps picking colors she thinks she likes and then we I get them up, she does not like them. I've had to sheetrock a couple of wholes in the wall where I keep banging my head.

Anyway, this month? Granite countertops, 38 recessed light fixtures, under cabinet lighting and a electric gate in the driveway. I'm paying to have that stuff done!

Ain't owning a home fun?

JSE

Me to? Weird. I have been romodeling our entire downstairs for about the last year. I have become quite the handy man. We are also painting like crazy. I have been having to re-texture and even re-sheetrock the walls before the paint goes on. My wife keeps picking colors she thinks she likes and then we I get them up, she does not like them. I've had to sheetrock a couple of wholes in the wall where I keep banging my head.

Anyway, this month? Granite countertops, 38 recessed light fixtures, under cabinet lighting and a electric gate in the driveway. I'm paying to have that stuff done!

Ain't owning a home fun?

JSE
    Yeah it's fun, but I think that there are a few variations in the definition of the word fun. It definitely helps the time pass. This past year has flown by. Last February we find out that we're pregnant, decide to by a house. Can't find anything we like so we have one built. Move in in October. Have the baby and start a new job in November. Have the whole Famn Damily over for Christmas. Then buy/build the Home Theater which lights the decorating fire. Now that fire is in full blaze, thankfully there is a finite number of rooms in the house. Whew, only 32 years till retirement

Forum Regular

A tiny world

Thanks man.
    You are Much Welcomed !!

We are definitely enjoying it.
    I know you must be !!!!!!

It's funny how small of a world it is because we too are in the middle of painting every room in the house.
    It's a TINY world :-)
    That's a big job huh !

All different colors of course.
    But OF COURSE ...... That's the way to do it ! I could tell from seeing that Green in the HT Room that you wouldn't be all one color sorta family !! Us too, we have a Black/Brown/Tan color theme throught the inside and outside the house ..... except for the master bedroom, which is red YIKES, but it works well :-)

Thank god for the return areas at Home Depot and Lowe's. $25 buckets of paint for $2.50
    Yep, at the current prices for a gallon of paint it adds up real fast !!

Good luck getting the rest of the house finished !!

Forum Regular

How Very Strange Indeed

Me to?
    WOW !!!!

Weird. I have been romodeling our entire downstairs for about the last year. I have become quite the handy man. We are also painting like crazy. I have been having to re-texture and even re-sheetrock the walls before the paint goes on. My wife keeps picking colors she thinks she likes and then we I get them up, she does not like them. I've had to sheetrock a couple of wholes in the wall where I keep banging my head.
    Well I was lucky, I only had to paint the ceiling in the dining room twice cause the color wasn't right. Other than that, all the colors she picked, we both really like

Anyway, this month? Granite countertops, 38 recessed light fixtures, under cabinet lighting and a electric gate in the driveway.
    Very Nice !!!!!!!!! I'd like to see your place :-)

I'm paying to have that stuff done!
    I can understand that ..... that's why we also paid to have someone paint the outside .... inside was a big job, but outside ... in the back it's 3 stories ... I'm not painting that !!!!

Ain't owning a home fun?
    OOOOOOOOOO YEAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Regular

no time to think !

Yeah it's fun, but I think that there are a few variations in the definition of the word fun.
    FOR SURE

It definitely helps the time pass. This past year has flown by. Last February we find out that we're pregnant, decide to by a house. Can't find anything we like so we have one built. Move in in October. Have the baby and start a new job in November. Have the whole Famn Damily over for Christmas. Then buy/build the Home Theater which lights the decorating fire. Now that fire is in full blaze, thankfully there is a finite number of rooms in the house. Whew, only 32 years till retirement
    WOW, I'm soooooooooooooooo glad that my life is SIMPLE
    Just getting the move from KY to SC last year was enough for me..... then getting into doing the house and HT ..... I'm SOOOOOO GLAD that we didn't have babies

Forum Regular

Hello Wasch and JSE and TopSpeed and others

Well it's been awhile ..... I am still working on the installation .... I have the holes cut in the wall over the fireplace, I have the electric run, I have the video component cables run, I still have to run the IR extender and all the speaker wires.......

I'm hoping that I can complete it by the end of this month ...... I'll post pics as soon as done

It's not a dedicated room like yours Wasch, but it's gonna be a nice setup just the same :-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information