Forum Regular

On My Denon 3801 Receiver Without HDMI What Do I Set this on for Blu-Ray Audio?

I haven't ordered my Panasonic BD 55 yet as I'm still waiting for Paypal money to arrive in my bank account, but I'm planning ahead of time and one of the things I'm not sure of is what function do I need to set the audio for on my Denon AVR 3801 Receiver without HDMI or does it really matter? Should I set this for Auxillary or DVD but change the inputs in the settings for Analog? Its the same as DVD Audio I used but I forgot how I set that. Thanks

My
    Gifts and Free Advice Blog

What? Are you getting a Blu Ray player or a DVD Audio player? Are you using digital or multichannel analog?

Forum Regular
    BLuRay Multichannel audio

Cool

THERE IS NO "FUNCTION"
    Its a straight shot to the amps.
    The player will decode the formats (that it decodes) and send it through.
    Just select whatever format you want on the players menu
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Also keep in mind that by doing it this way, you have to use your BluRay player to set up the speaker size, distance, crossover points, and stuff like that. Your Denon won't make those changes.

Forum Regular

Understood

Yeah, that's understood. I do that with my regular DVD player anyway. I just forgot what I set the controls for DVD Audio on my receiver when I played that a few years ago. Because the receiver doesn't have an HDMI input/output, I have to set it up this way. I like my Denon 3801 Receiver enough that I don't want to buy another receiver with HDMI.

Yeah like pixel said, there's really nothing to set. It's just a direct input with no processing available.

dax
    Forum Regular
    I have an older Denon AVR5700, which I'm using as my pre/pro, and the Panny DMP-BD55K. Connected multi-channel analog outputs of the blu-ray to the multi-channel analog inputs of the receiver. To listen to the blu-ray, just select the external inputs on your receiver.

In my case, I set the receiver to VDP and then selected the external inputs. This way, the receiver remembers that the VDP input uses the external analog inputs. Then whichever other receiver input you use (CD, DVD, VCR, TUNER, etc), it continues to remember how those are setup, i.e. either via optical, coax, or analog.

Hope that helps.

Forum Regular
    Yeah, thanks. I did use the external inputs. It took me about 5 hours till I realized hidden in the Denons instructions I had to push the external in button to get full sound from all channels. Sound is great once I did it right.

dax
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardGein
    Yeah, thanks. I did use the external inputs. It took me about 5 hours till I realized hidden in the Denons instructions I had to push the external in button to get full sound from all channels. Sound is great once I did it right.
    Too bad I didn't visit the site over the holidays and see your post. Could have saved you a lot ot time. Glad you figured it out and have it now works to your satisfaction.

Suspended
    Looks like a happy ending.

Thread Information