more power????

Printable View

• 07-09-2006, 08:40 AM
    nolefan
    more power????
    Hi, I am new to h/t and need some help! I have purchesed polk rti-8(fronts) csi-5(center) fxi-3(surrounds) csi-3(s/back) and klipsch sub-10. I also purchesed a H/K AVR-340 rated at 7x55 wpc. I have to turn the speaker levels up all the way or the volume all the way up to get the speakers to "open up". When the speaker levels are turned up and you crank it up it starts to sound harsh. The question I have is do I have the power that is needed to push these speakers properly or would I need to add an exteral amp to the receiver or simply get seperate pre/pro and amp? And is this klipsch sub going to do well with the polks or should I look at something else in the future? Thanks for any input or thoughts you may have!
  • 07-09-2006, 09:52 AM
    musicman1999
    Nothing wrong with your H/K,don't get caught up in wattage ratings,they are really not very meaningful.Unless you have a huge room,55 watts per channel is fine for most people.What volumn levels do you listen at and what do you mean by open up.I suspect the H/K at full blast would make those Polks sound pretty bad.

bill
  • 07-09-2006, 10:01 AM
    paul_pci
    With all due respect your question is premature. I'm not sure how long you've had your system, but the first thing you need to do is calibrate the speaker levels. What you need is an SPL meter from radio shack and a test/calibration DVD like DVE essentials or Sound& Vision disc, or Avia. Then you run the test tones through each speaker, noting the spl reading and adjust the speaker level through the receiver so that all speakers are matching, most people measure at 75db. Actually, before disc-based calibration, make sure that your speakers are placed correctly and not at different heights, etc when avoidable. Once, all speakers are matched, then you take stock of the acoustics in your room and what needs to be adjusted to get the proper or most generous sound dynamic from the room. The last thing you should consider at this point is adding equipment. I highly doubt your problem is the receiver and would put my money on acoustics and lack of calibration. It's not a sexy solution, but more often than not, the right solution.
  • 07-09-2006, 10:55 AM
    nolefan
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paul_pci
    With all due respect your question is premature. I'm not sure how long you've had your system, but the first thing you need to do is calibrate the speaker levels. What you need is an SPL meter from radio shack and a test/calibration DVD like DVE essentials or Sound& Vision disc, or Avia. Then you run the test tones through each speaker, noting the spl reading and adjust the speaker level through the receiver so that all speakers are matching, most people measure at 75db. Actually, before disc-based calibration, make sure that your speakers are placed correctly and not at different heights, etc when avoidable. Once, all speakers are matched, then you take stock of the acoustics in your room and what needs to be adjusted to get the proper or most generous sound dynamic from the room. The last thing you should consider at this point is adding equipment. I highly doubt your problem is the receiver and would put my money on acoustics and lack of calibration. It's not a sexy solution, but more often than not, the right solution.

Thanks for the input. I will get a meter and try to do a better setup. I quess the main thing is the volume on the reciever is adjustable from -80 to +10. I had to turn it up to -15 to -20 range and was not sure if this was ok being that they do not suggest you go above 0. I have one more question if you don't mind! I have the speakers on small and crossovers on 80hrz. Should the crossover on the sub be 80 or above or is that just personal taste. I don't know anyone who is knows anything about this stuff and the local ciruitcity people know about as much as I do! Thanks again!!!
  • 07-09-2006, 11:50 AM
    paul_pci
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nolefan
    Thanks for the input. I will get a meter and try to do a better setup. I quess the main thing is the volume on the reciever is adjustable from -80 to +10. I had to turn it up to -15 to -20 range and was not sure if this was ok being that they do not suggest you go above 0. I have one more question if you don't mind! I have the speakers on small and crossovers on 80hrz. Should the crossover on the sub be 80 or above or is that just personal taste. I don't know anyone who is knows anything about this stuff and the local ciruitcity people know about as much as I do! Thanks again!!!

As far as the volume numeration goes, it's somewhat arbitrary, as I'm sure you already suspect. And room acoustics will have a lot to do with the same receiver needing to be set a different volumes in different rooms. For the crossover, most people set it at 80hz. If you get a test disc with thorough test tones and such you can play around with the setting and see what setting best fits your room.
  • 07-09-2006, 02:03 PM
    Woochifer
    paul_pci and musicman are totally correct -- your question is premature. Before you figure out whether or not you need more power, you first need to measure the actual output (the volume position is totally arbitrary, so you need a SPL meter to measure how the volume position corresponds to the ACTUAL sound level) and make sure that your system is correctly setup.

Basically, your receiver should have more than enough power to drive those Polks to fairly loud nevels. The exception would be if you have a large room, in which case you will very well might need more power.
  • 07-09-2006, 03:47 PM
    nolefan
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Woochifer
    paul_pci and musicman are totally correct -- your question is premature. Before you figure out whether or not you need more power, you first need to measure the actual output (the volume position is totally arbitrary, so you need a SPL meter to measure how the volume position corresponds to the ACTUAL sound level) and make sure that your system is correctly setup.

Basically, your receiver should have more than enough power to drive those Polks to fairly loud nevels. The exception would be if you have a large room, in which case you will very well might need more power.

Hi, thanks for your input. I picked up a meter at radioshack and tried it out. going straight off the instruction manual of the receiver it states to adjust the volume to -15 and a set each speaker at 75 db. At this volume level with the output levels all the way up on +10 none of the channels would quite hit the 75 mark although they did get around 70. Dose this matter or should I try something different. My room is 27x14. Thanks again for the help!!!
  • 07-09-2006, 04:50 PM
    superpanavision70mm
    Is the room too damp? Do you have lots of things absoring the sound?
  • 07-09-2006, 05:10 PM
    nolefan
    Quote:

Originally Posted by superpanavision70mm
    Is the room too damp? Do you have lots of things absoring the sound?

Hi, the floor is carpet, the windows have drapes, there is hallway leading out of the room and the back wall is made of large stone and cement. I wish I had another room! Thanks!!!
  • 07-09-2006, 09:52 PM
    paul_pci
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nolefan
    Hi, thanks for your input. I picked up a meter at radioshack and tried it out. going straight off the instruction manual of the receiver it states to adjust the volume to -15 and a set each speaker at 75 db. At this volume level with the output levels all the way up on +10 none of the channels would quite hit the 75 mark although they did get around 70. Dose this matter or should I try something different. My room is 27x14. Thanks again for the help!!!

Are you using the receiver's built in test tones? If so, they tend to be at a low volume and somewhat unreliable for calibration. See about getting a test disc. Your room sounds fine except you might get some unwanted reflections from the stone/cement wal, depending on how close you sit to it, but first, let's get this system calibrated, then we'll see about acoustics.
  • 07-10-2006, 02:32 AM
    accastil
    hi nolefan, a separate stereo power amplifier woudl definitely make your sound much better..just make sure that the rating would be at least 100wpc in order to superimpose your HKs inert power. secondly, dont be surprised if the sound you are hearing right now is kind of veiled. HKs really sound that way..you need a bright sounding speakers and or power amplifier to compensate for this sort of dullness in your HK.
  • 07-10-2006, 02:45 PM
    nolefan
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paul_pci
    Are you using the receiver's built in test tones? If so, they tend to be at a low volume and somewhat unreliable for calibration. See about getting a test disc. Your room sounds fine except you might get some unwanted reflections from the stone/cement wal, depending on how close you sit to it, but first, let's get this system calibrated, then we'll see about acoustics.

Hi, I used the receiver's test tone the first time. I then got a disc with thx optimizer for audio and video. The results were about the same. I did get one of the channels to hit 75db. The test tones on this disc seemed a good bit louder than the receiver's but it still would not reach these levels. Is it normal to have to turn the speaker levels all the way up on every channel? It seems that doing this may increase the quantity but degrade the quality. I thank you again for your help!!!
  • 07-11-2006, 01:30 AM
    musicman1999
    You are right it will degrade the sound,greatly.Is it possible that yoy may have,by mistake,turned on the recievers dynamic compression mode?

bill
  • 07-11-2006, 03:23 AM
    nolefan
    Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman1999
    You are right it will degrade the sound,greatly.Is it possible that yoy may have,by mistake,turned on the recievers dynamic compression mode?

bill

I went back and checked the dynamic compression mode on both the receiver and the dvd player and they are both off. It was a nice thought!!!
  • 07-11-2006, 06:15 PM
    musicman1999
    Strange problem,that H/K will push past 75db with no trouble,it takes a very small amount of power to reach that level.

bill