AR Newbie Registered Member

Modify my hk avr 85

Dear friends
    I have a Harman kardon AVR 85 and like it very much
    I don't know if I can modify it to have 5.1 channel direct input.
    from my DVD.
    Any sugestion will be very appreciated.
    Thanks

Actually, I think the answer would have to be "no"

What are your skills in this area? How would you propose doing this? Do you have any idea how you would accomplish switching?

Forum Regular

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by luong679
    Dear friends
    I have a Harman kardon AVR 85 and like it very much
    I don't know if I can modify it to have 5.1 channel direct input.
    from my DVD.
    Any sugestion will be very appreciated.
    Thanks

Ask a question and get jumped on,, Guess ya have to be careful who ya call friends.
    Dale M

Not so fast there, big guy.

Actually, I gave the readers digest version of answer in the header. But, before going on to explain why I believed that, I needed to know a little about the poster's experience in actually working with this stuff and if, perhaps, he had any clue as to what he was asking.

Having been in this field since the early 60's and also having actually built and repaired electronic equipment, I am not going to waste my breath explaing the many, many reasons why it is an unworkable idea if the person asking the question would not understand the answer.

Now then, Dale, perhaps you can explain to him, and me as well, how you believe he could accomplish this task?

I await enlightenment at your feet, oh studied one.
    Last edited by markw; 07-03-2004 at 08:55 AM.

Forum Regular
    Hi
    Not once in my comment do I recall having suggested that I knew the answer to the persons' question. Him and I are both Newbie's to this world of HT and I as well as him thought that it was ok to ask a question even if it might be silly in someone'e eyes. Is that not what this forum is for? I took the answer as being a little harsh, even if it was not intended to be. If you don't want to waste your breath as you put it, then why do you bother at all?? I'm sure at one time you didn't have all the answers, and maybe you too needed to ask questions and a polite reply would have been nice.
    Dale M

Since you've broached the subject, I'll elucidate.

Point blank, that was the type of question that, simply by it's asking, indicates that he had no honkin' idea of what's involved in doing what was asked. Many people pop up here asking how to do something that, even to experienced people, is either extermely difficult and requires technical knowledge and experience, or is simply impossible.

To think that years of learning and experience can be imparted in a few posts on the internet is an insult to those who worked years learning and honing their skills in a particular field.

Try going into a dental forum and ask how one can do a root canal with a Black & Decker 3/8" variable speed drill and see what type of anwers it generates. ...There's not a whole lot of difference between that and the question started this thread.

If you had any more experience in these matters, you would have known that.

I was trying to get him to actually think of what's involved in trying to do what he was asking and how it fits into his existing skill sets in the field. Hopefully, he took my questions to heart and understood what I was implying. Then again, if that's all he expected from this community, well...

Obviously you didn't grasp the concept of what was being asked and/or perhaps thought it was possible. You've just been exposed to the Socratic method of teaching. Simply put, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Over the past several years I've answered many questions of many people here and, Lord willing, will continue to do so. If you want to contribute some answers instead of simply questioning and criticizing the quality of the answers here then feel free to provide better ones. There can be several ways to skin a cat, but you've got to offer an alternative to play the game.

Now, when your answer quotent reaches a bit higher level, perhaps then I'll take you more seriously. As of now, I think you're a whiney little kid, regardless of age, who expects the world handed to him on a silver platter. If you don't like the quality of my answer, feel free to contatct the webmeister and have him refund what you paid for your admission.

Consider yourself sufficiently disabused on this issue, dale.

Now, to the original poster, if you took it as harsh, I apologize but what you ask was simply not feasible. As stated, my post was intended to get you to think a little about the implications of what you were asking and not to chastize you. Had it not been for this guy, I would have simply let it rest and fade off into oblivion..

cam
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    Point blank, that was the type of question that, simply by it's asking, indicates that he had no honkin' idea of what's involved in doing what was asked. Many people pop up here asking how to do something that, even to experienced people, is either extermely difficult and requires technical knowledge and experience, or is simply impossible.

To think that years of learning and experience can be imparted in a few posts on the internet is an insult to those who worked years learning and honing their skills in a particular field.

Try going into a dental forum and ask how one can do a root canal with a Black & Decker 3/8" variable speed drill and see what type of anwers it generates. ...There's not a whole lot of difference between that and the question started this thread.

I was trying to get him to actually think of what's involved in trying to do what he was asking and how it fits into his existing skill sets in the field. Hopefully, he took my questions to heart and understood what I was implying. Then again, if that's all he expected from this community, well...

Obviously you didn't grasp the concept of what was being asked and/or perhaps thought it was possible. You've just been exposed to the Socratic method of teaching. Simply put, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Over the past several years I've answered many questions of many people here and, Lord willing, will continue to do so. If you want to contribute some answers instead of simply questioning and criticizing the quality of the answers here then feel free to provide better ones. There can be several ways to skin a cat, but you've got to offer an alternative to play the game.

Now, when your answer quotent reaches a bit higher level, perhaps then I'll take you more seriously. As of now, I think you're a whiney little kid, regardless of age, who expects the world handed to him on a silver platter. If you don't like the quality of my answer, feel free to contatct the webmeister and have him refund what you paid for your admission.

Now, to the original poster, if you took it as harsh, I apologize but what you ask was simply not feasible. As stated, my post was intended to get you to think a little about the implications of what you were asking and not to chastize you. Had it not been for this guy, I would have simply let it rest and fade off into oblivion..
    Hey markw, how can I modify my garage door opener into a multi task teleporter. Just kidding, I did not think you were being too harsh, Your respose should have just made the original poster think a little. But then again it was his very first post and the response wasn't exactly welcoming.

I just gotta be me.

Quote Originally Posted by cam
    Hey markw, how can I modify my garage door opener into a multi task teleporter. Just kidding, I did not think you were being too harsh, Your respose should have just made the original poster think a little. But then again it was his very first post and the response wasn't exactly welcoming.
    That's quite a question for a first post. Had it been simply "can it be done" i'm sure I would have been a little more charitable.

But, when it comes to "How can I", I tend to expect a little more from someone.
    Last edited by markw; 07-03-2004 at 05:03 PM.

Forum Regular

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by markw

Wow, for one who doesn't want to waste his breath you sure go on here. What I know or don't know and what you know or don't know, has nothing to do with my original point. All I was, and still am saying is that there is a nice way to say something. You obviously don't know how to do that and the fact that you bring up your so called honed skills and what you presume to be my lack of, suggests that you are rather defensive in this area and makes me wonder if you are not just a legend in your own mind. I was never here to dispute your skills or knowledge, however your lack of people skills becomes more and more apparent. Honing your HT skills has perhaps left no room for HR skills. While you are locked in that back room of yours with no people interaction, perhaps you can take the time to learn from the replies of other people in the know on this forum on how to nicely, non sarcastically, and without belittling the questioner, answer a simple question.
    Got to run now, my dinner on that silver platter is about to be served.
    Have a great day Mark

Dale M

Thanks for your concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale M
    Wow, for one who doesn't want to waste his breath you sure go on here. What I know or don't know and what you know or don't know, has nothing to do with my original point. All I was, and still am saying is that there is a nice way to say something. You obviously don't know how to do that and the fact that you bring up your so called honed skills and what you presume to be my lack of, suggests that you are rather defensive in this area and makes me wonder if you are not just a legend in your own mind. I was never here to dispute your skills or knowledge, however your lack of people skills becomes more and more apparent. Honing your HT skills has perhaps left no room for HR skills. While you are locked in that back room of yours with no people interaction, perhaps you can take the time to learn from the replies of other people in the know on this forum on how to nicely, non sarcastically, and without belittling the questioner, answer a simple question.
    Got to run now, my dinner on that silver platter is about to be served.
    Have a great day Mark

Dale M
    Actually, this thread has long since morphed into something entirely different that what it was when it started. Had you simply kept your snide remarks to yourself it would have die a natural death.

Now, had your post been a solution to the situation at hand instead of a personal attack, we would not be having this little conversation. I have no problems dishing it out to little guys wit hbig mouths. Actually, it's sort of cathartic sometimes. ...it relieves stress.

Your turn...
    Last edited by markw; 07-03-2004 at 05:29 PM.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    "I don't know if I can modify it to have 5.1 channel direct input. Any sugestion will be very appreciated." --- luong679

"That's quite a question for a first post. Had it been simply "can it be done" i'm sure I would have been a little more charitable.

But, when it comes to "How can I", I tend to expect a little more from someone." -- mark w

Not to beat a dead horse, as this threads been quiet for a couple days, but doesn't it kinda sound like he was asking for ANY suggestions? Even if it's "don't waste your time, it can't be done" . I'm new to these forums as well (getting ready to buy some HT stuff in September) and would have been far less inclined to visit here again if i were luong. Ah well... I guess all forums have people with oversized egos (making up for something else?).

--- Jay

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Javy
    "I don't know if I can modify it to have 5.1 channel direct input. Any sugestion will be very appreciated." --- luong679

"That's quite a question for a first post. Had it been simply "can it be done" i'm sure I would have been a little more charitable.

But, when it comes to "How can I", I tend to expect a little more from someone." -- mark w

Not to beat a dead horse, as this threads been quiet for a couple days, but doesn't it kinda sound like he was asking for ANY suggestions? Even if it's "don't waste your time, it can't be done" . I'm new to these forums as well (getting ready to buy some HT stuff in September) and would have been far less inclined to visit here again if i were luong. Ah well... I guess all forums have people with oversized egos (making up for something else?).

--- Jay
    No, Jay - I don't think that your summarization of Markw as someone with an "oversized ego" is fitting at all. On the other hand, all of the replies to this thread (except for cam) have been arrows in search of the target that they somehow missed.

The original poster should've worded his query differently - as in "Can it be done?" or, "Is this possible?" Then, Mark could've responded with the correct answer, which is: "probably not - but if it could be done, the cost would probably exceed the cost of replacing the receiver with a new one".

Markw and I both are here to do our best to help people with their questions, but on occasion we can misread what someone actually asks - such as in this case, where Mark thought that the poster asked "How can I?" - which is NOT what he actually asked at all. This in turn skewered Mark's reply to be just a tad (a very small tad, IMO) harsh. This in turn prompted Dale M to jump all over Mark in what I consider an unfair manner. All of which only goes to prove that communication between humans is hampered (not helped) by the words they use in the attempt.
    woodman

I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

Forum Regular
    The easiest way to upgrade this receiver to 5.1 direct would be to lift it approximately 6"-8" off the table and put a real AV receiver under it. I believe the Denon's run "Direct mode" and the Yamaha's allow you to turn off surround processing, but I'm not sure if they by-pass the preamp.

I have a degree in electronics and wouldn't want to attempt this type of upgrade. It would require bypassing the preamp and you would need to provide some type of quiet switching mechanism to activate and deactivate it without sending a pops due to switch-bounce through the amplifier. Do you know anything about analog or digital circuitry? Can you solder? Are you ready to buy a new receiver should your attempts fail? It would be difficult to find a reapair service to take on the repair after such an attempt, they wouldn't want the lability involved. To upgrade a receiver to direct mode would require much more engineering and skill than you would think. It's not just a matter of a snip here, solder there.

It sounds more like everyone is more concerned about etiquette rather than providing an answer to the question. Most want direct mode to provide the least amount of interference from the receiver. If having direct mode is that important to you, get a new receiver. Or buy a new amp and plug your source directly into the inputs.

"Why can't we all just get along".

Quote Originally Posted by kfalls
    Do you know anything about analog or digital circuitry? Can you solder?
    Careful kfalls. It's these type of questions that unleashed the wrath of the newbies on me.

Thanks, kfalls & woodman,

Thread Information