Forum Regular

Marantz VP12S2 vs Sony VPL-VW50 ( Pearl )

Hi everybody,

Would it be a good decision to sell out Marantz VP12S2 to buy Sony VPL-VW50 ( Pearl ) ??!!

How much better video would I get for watching HD-DVD/Blu Ray movies ?

Thanks

Sukasem C.

Marantz VP12S2 DLP Projector

Resolution: 1280 x 720p (921,600 pixels)
    Contrast: 2600:1
    Brightness: 700 ANSI Lumens
    Inputs: 1 Component, 1 DVI-D
    MSRP: $12,499 (back in 2003)

Sony VPL-VW50 LCoS Projector

Resolution: 1920 x 1080p (2,073,600 pixels)
    Contrast: 15,000:1
    Brightness: 900 ANSI Lumens
    Inputs: 2 HDMI
    MSRP: $4,999 (street price is $3,999)

The new Sony Pearl has sent shockwaves through the industry this summer. At this price point, you won't find a better 1080p projector. And on a large projector screen, 1080p is likely to give you a substancial increase in picture quality. I would definately audition this projector if you get a chance!

Forum Regular
    Hi,

Excellent information !!!

Thank you so very much.

Sukasem C.

If I remember correctly, the Pearl is one of the few projectors that can accept (and use) a 1080p24 signal. Once Sony releases its Blu-ray player, that also has a native 1080p24 output, you may indeed get an improvement in PQ with the Pearl.

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by drseid
    If I remember correctly, the Pearl is one of the few projectors that can accept (and use) a 1080p24 signal. Once Sony releases its Blu-ray player, that also has a native 1080p24 output, you may indeed get an improvement in PQ with the Pearl.

---Dave
    Thanks Dave. I am sorry that I do not understand "1080p24 signal". Please enlighten me.

I am also considering to buy a new high-definition player which according to my (limited) study I think I am biased to choose HD-DVD rather than Blu Ray.

Please discuss

Sukasem C.

Hi Sukasem,

I see that you're still on the quest. I agree with Dave and elapsed that moving to the Sony may reap some rewards (more than some of the other moves that you've contemplated in the past). Begging Dave's pardon, 1080p/24fps (frames per second) is an HD signal that perfectly corresponds to the frame rate at which films are shown. Our traditional video standard, however, would have to translate this rate into 1080p/30fps, which would be deinterlaced from 60 interlaced fields per second. The advantage of showing the HD disks at their native frame rate is that the flicker artifact normally associated with deinterlacing (called judder) at a 2:3 pulldown rate would disappear. Few of our displays, however, can accept 24fps. Those that do would multiply the frames by 2 or 3 for a more amenable rate, but the resulting multiples of 24 would still avoid judder, since the cadence would be an even 2:2 or 3:3 rather than the complicated and uneven 2:3 that 30fps requires. Got it?

As for which HD player to buy, roll the dice. Personally, I don't think that the Samsung Blu-ray player is ready for the critical viewer who wants to optimize performance. The upcoming Pioneer and Sony bode much better. I've had a little time with the Toshiba HD-DVD player, which I like, especially with firmware 2.0 installed. What I've watched on it has looked very good--not soft and not noisy--and sounded very good through the analog outputs. Who knows whether it will eventually become a boat anchor, paper weight, or doorstop? In the meantime, however, the fun is undeniable. By the way, the fact the Toshiba is limited to 1080i/60 is not big deal to most people and is not a disadvantage in the face of Samsung's circuitous and redundant 1080p.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by csukasem
    Thanks Dave. I am sorry that I do not understand "1080p24 signal". Please enlighten me.

I am also considering to buy a new high-definition player which according to my (limited) study I think I am biased to choose HD-DVD rather than Blu Ray.

Please discuss

Sukasem C.
    Ed beat me to it, but explained things much better than I could have anyways. :-)

As for HD DVD, I can easily recommend it. I don't know who will win the format war in the end, but I can say that HD DVD looks great right now and certainly would be worthy of winning. I love my HD-A1 player.

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by edtyct
    Hi Sukasem,

I see that you're still on the quest. I agree with Dave and elapsed that moving to the Sony may reap some rewards (more than some of the other moves that you've contemplated in the past). Begging Dave's pardon, 1080p/24fps (frames per second) is an HD signal that perfectly corresponds to the frame rate at which films are shown. Our traditional video standard, however, would have to translate this rate into 1080p/30fps, which would be deinterlaced from 60 interlaced fields per second. The advantage of showing the HD disks at their native frame rate is that the flicker artifact normally associated with deinterlacing (called judder) at a 2:3 pulldown rate would disappear. Few of our displays, however, can accept 24fps. Those that do would multiply the frames by 2 or 3 for a more amenable rate, but the resulting multiples of 24 would still avoid judder, since the cadence would be an even 2:2 or 3:3 rather than the complicated and uneven 2:3 that 30fps requires. Got it?

As for which HD player to buy, roll the dice. Personally, I don't think that the Samsung Blu-ray player is ready for the critical viewer who wants to optimize performance. The upcoming Pioneer and Sony bode much better. I've had a little time with the Toshiba HD-DVD player, which I like, especially with firmware 2.0 installed. What I've watched on it has looked very good--not soft and not noisy--and sounded very good through the analog outputs. Who knows whether it will eventually become a boat anchor, paper weight, or doorstop? In the meantime, however, the fun is undeniable. By the way, the fact the Toshiba is limited to 1080i/60 is not big deal to most people and is not a disadvantage in the face of Samsung's circuitous and redundant 1080p.

Ed

Hi Ed,

Sorry for my slow reply. Thanks for your information. I have to admit that I could understand very limitedly. Anyway, I would take what you said "...moving to the Sony may reap some rewards (more than some of the other moves that you've contemplated in the past)....".

Sukasem C.

nightflier
    Ed, Elap, Doc,

This is a very interesting discussion, especially regarding the frame rates. Keep it coming. I'm not in the market for a projection TV (well at least not right away), but I am very interested in the technologies involved.

Sony's SXRD 1080p Pearl reviewed: http://www.hometheaterblog.com/homet...plvw50_pe.html

Forum Regular
    Hi Elaspsed,

Thanks a lot.

Sukasem

Thread Information