Resident DVD Reviewer

Jurassic Park DTS

Bought Universal's Collector's Edition DTS DVD last night of this landmark film and noticed after watching it with my G/F that it lacked low end punch -- especially during "famous" scenes such as when the T-Rex makes its presence known and the cup of water starts to shake. My subwoofer created NO bass during this DVD that promised breathtaking audio, and I thought something had been wrong. Lo and behold, I found information on The Digital Bits.com regarding DEFECTIVE DTS discs that Universal was cranking out on original versions of this film -- apparently, there was a completely incorrectly mastered DTS track with NO LFE channel present on original pressings of the Jurassic Park DVD but the problem had since been corrected.

Now, I checked the serial numbers on the inner ring of the DVD itself -- as advised by the guy who wrote the review about the defective discs on Digital Bits.com -- and found that MY DVD had the numbers for the defective DVDs after all; so I did in fact get a bad disc. Supposedly, there are corrected Jurassic Park DTS discs out there, and its supposed to be a night and day difference in sound. The new discs are supposed to absolutely RUMBLE with LFE, and I was wondering if anyone ever heard of this problem or where I may be able to get the "corrected" Jurassic Park DVD....

Forum Regular
    Lexmark; Take it right back to the store you bought the item. Be sure you have either a printout or written info of the numbers of the corrected disc and get an exchange.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by kelsci
    Lexmark; Take it right back to the store you bought the item. Be sure you have either a printout or written info of the numbers of the corrected disc and get an exchange.
    Thanks Kel,

The problem is, I dont think this store, which was a Virgin Megastore here in Long Island, New York, is going to get or have the corrected DTS discs; I need to find out where the corrected Jurassic Park DVDs are floating around-----I already have Universal Home Video working on it for me; I e mailed them. Any other thoughts?

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexmark3200
    Thanks Kel,

The problem is, I dont think this store, which was a Virgin Megastore here in Long Island, New York, is going to get or have the corrected DTS discs; I need to find out where the corrected Jurassic Park DVDs are floating around-----I already have Universal Home Video working on it for me; I e mailed them. Any other thoughts?
    I sent my DVD to UNIVERSAL, not the store I purchased it from. When they received my DVD, they sent me a corrected copy. I am surprised they didn't mention that to you.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    I sent my DVD to UNIVERSAL, not the store I purchased it from. When they received my DVD, they sent me a corrected copy. I am surprised they didn't mention that to you.
    Hello Terrence,

Thanks for your reply----funny you should mention this now because I JUST received an e mail from Universal telling me to send them the DVD for a corrected version exchange....thats so funny. Guess I have solved the problem. Thanks again. Are you SURE you received the "corrected" version with the corrected DTS signal? My worry is that I get the same disc with the same LFE missing....

Forum Regular
    Lex; This Jurassic Park incident with the bass happened some time ago. I could not remember how it was solved with Universal at that time other than I remember that they had to manufacture corrected disc. Apparently the problem was handled by them. I would follow their advice and sent the defective disc to them. I think you need not worry about getting the corrected disc from them. Since your research has given you a record of the corrected id numbers, when the new disc comes, you can check that out yourself.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexmark3200
    Hello Terrence,

Thanks for your reply----funny you should mention this now because I JUST received an e mail from Universal telling me to send them the DVD for a corrected version exchange....thats so funny. Guess I have solved the problem. Thanks again. Are you SURE you received the "corrected" version with the corrected DTS signal? My worry is that I get the same disc with the same LFE missing....
    Am I sure?? My windows are sure(they rattled like the dickens during the tyranny roar) the floor is sure(every step the tyranny made shook the floor violently)

It was a night and day difference from the original disc I got.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by kelsci
    Lex; This Jurassic Park incident with the bass happened some time ago. I could not remember how it was solved with Universal at that time other than I remember that they had to manufacture corrected disc. Apparently the problem was handled by them. I would follow their advice and sent the defective disc to them. I think you need not worry about getting the corrected disc from them. Since your research has given you a record of the corrected id numbers, when the new disc comes, you can check that out yourself.
    Yes, Kel, this I can do....very true. Thank you again for your assistance and input.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Am I sure?? My windows are sure(they rattled like the dickens during the tyranny roar) the floor is sure(every step the tyranny made shook the floor violently)

It was a night and day difference from the original disc I got.
    Hahahaha....okay then, I have to believe you! Cant wait to get the corrected version so I can put my 10" Polk sub to the test....

As a kicker last night, and to make sure my DTS decoding system was working properly in my Onkyo receiver, I watched The Haunting in DTS ES (downconverted to DTS 5.1 in my system because I dont have the sixth back speaker) and man did that BOOM....when the house's doors are slamming shut, my sub banged and thumped like crazy...and that was out of a 10" sub with the volume on the receiver only at 45 or so....

Thread Information