Marantz R8500 or Yamaha RXV2500

Looking for an all around contender that plays music as well as HT. Anyone familiar with these two products?

I have not listened to the R8500. But I have had the RX-V2500 for a little over a month now. I use it mostly for movies & TV, but have put in a few CD's. Avril Lavine's new CD sounds great. So do the old Van Halen tracks. I put on a few Spyro Gyra tracks. They sound crisp and clear as if the group was in the room with me. It's very loud and very clear. I prefer the 7 channel stereo but you can use 2 channel or pure direct as well as a bunch of other music decoders. My speakers lack the deep base so I don't use the pure direct as it doesn't output to the sub. The "other" music decoders are fun when my wife sings kareoke. We can make it sound like she's in a concert hall, almost any kind of concert hall you like. Every day I look forward to getting back home to hear something new. I'm am always amazed at the sound quality. You can not go wrong with this unit. It's a class act.
    Don't forget to check out the Denon 3805 while you're at it.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    I have not listened to the R8500. But I have had the RX-V2500 for a little over a month now. I use it mostly for movies & TV, but have put in a few CD's. Avril Lavine's new CD sounds great. So do the old Van Halen tracks. I put on a few Spyro Gyra tracks. They sound crisp and clear as if the group was in the room with me. It's very loud and very clear. I prefer the 7 channel stereo but you can use 2 channel or pure direct as well as a bunch of other music decoders. My speakers lack the deep base so I don't use the pure direct as it doesn't output to the sub. The "other" music decoders are fun when my wife sings kareoke. We can make it sound like she's in a concert hall, almost any kind of concert hall you like. Every day I look forward to getting back home to hear something new. I'm am always amazed at the sound quality. You can not go wrong with this unit. It's a class act.
    Don't forget to check out the Denon 3805 while you're at it.
    Thanks for the excellent review of the Yammie.

As it turns out, I went with the Marantz SR7500. Cambridge Soundworks was offereing an in-store discount (15%), CS will let me return it without question within 45 days, and Marantz offers a 3 year warranty, so.... sold, sold, sold.

I have also read that Marantz matches well with Silverline Audio speakers. I got home too late last night to really put it to the test, but I played a couple of Grover Washington, Jr., Diana Krall, Walter Beasley and Fourplay CDs last night, and so far, I like what I'm hearing. Tonight I think I'll watch Saving Private Ryan to see how it performs in HT.

Talking

Cool, keep me posted. If you have it, watch Jurassic Park III. It should sound like you're on the island running for your life. It brings the excitement level way up. Now I have to watch my whole DVD collection over again to hear what I was missing the first time.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

nightflier

Presence Speakers

I was wondering what you thought of the presence speakers on the RX-V2500. It seems to be a major selling point, but I have yet to find a showroom that has this set up. Do they add to the sound experience or not so much?

Wink

Presence Speakers

I enjoy the presence speakers very much. They add a level of reverb based on which option you pick. Yamaha went to a few concert halls (or bars) if you like, to record and simulate the amount of reverb at those locations. They are great for watching some shows or older movies that are recorded in mono. When watching sports you can make it sound like you are actually at the game. Pay no attention to the guy in the 3rd row swearing at the ump. Also, my wife loves using the the selection that puts her into a large church when she sings kareoke. I even did a little creative wiring to set up our camcorder, and record DVD's of her singing with this effect. She's already made 4 DVD's and mailed them to her parents.
    I don't use these settings when watching movies in DD or DTS though. They can not be used at the same time as the rear channels on my model. It does still sound good in SCIFI in DTS but I prefer to have the rears in use. The RX-Z9 let you use all 9 together but I don't have the extra $4k laying around for that.
    Anyway, although I could probably live without them, they do add to the fun factor and I'm glad to have them. If and when I ever do upgrade, I'll be looking for another Yamaha.

nightflier

Yamaha gotcha?

...They can not be used at the same time as the rear channels on my model....
    GM,

You have the RX-V2500, right? I thought the presence speakers could be used for a second room OR with 7.1. Is that not the case?

Hi,
    Yeah, I do have the RX-V2500. It can only drive 7 speakers at one time. 7.1 or 5.1 with presence or 5.1 and 2 in another room. I know the RX-Z9 will drive all 9 at once. Not sure about the RX-Z1.
    Hope this helps.

nightflier

Are you sure?

...It can only drive 7 speakers at one time. 7.1 or 5.1 with presence or 5.1 and 2 in another room...
    Well that sucks. It sure makes the whole package less glamorous. I mean it's not like it would have been hard to enable the presence speakers with a 7.1 setup. I bet it's probably just a software switch that they disable to give the RX-Z9 extra value. I'm rather dissapointed in Yamaha for doing this.

And I need to have a word with the sales rep at Tweeter too, 'cause he neglected to mention that little detail.

Let me know what they say. I had thought the same thing also, but strangely enough it was a rep at Tweeters who set me straight before I made the purchase. The RX-Z9 only put 50 watts to the presence speakers. They must have decided that the full 130W (or 170) was overkill for creating a little echo.

Thread Information