AR Newbie Registered Member

LPCM and True HD ?

I am a neophyte when it comes to high end audio. I was reading an older forum on LPCM. I saw a review on the Sony STR-DG820. The reviewer mentioned the Sony by virtue of having LPCM has True HD? Is this true? If it is true then what is the big deal with True HD?

I am trying to buy an average A/V receiver, but want it to be relevant in 5 years? What do you look for?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bayracer105
    I am a neophyte when it comes to high end audio. I was reading an older forum on LPCM. I saw a review on the Sony STR-DG820. The reviewer mentioned the Sony by virtue of having LPCM has True HD? Is this true? If it is true then what is the big deal with True HD?

I am trying to buy an average A/V receiver, but want it to be relevant in 5 years? What do you look for?
    Thanks
    LPCM is lossless uncompressed track. TrueHD is lossless but compressed. The advantage with TrueHD is that it takes up less space. Both are pretty much the same thing and difference cannot be heard between them.

Not all BR disc is gonna have a LPCM track. Your gonna find a bunch of different codecs and you'll need an appropriate player & AVR to take advantage of them.

Pick up an HDMI 1.3a AVR with full audio decoding, multi channel inputs/outputs and as many or more inputs(HDMI,optical, coaxial) than you need. Look into Yamaha 663/863, Onkyo 05/06 series.

More info:
    Bluray Breakdown

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Thanks the information was very helpful.

Cool

AND dont worry about it becoming "obsolete", gonna happen no matter what you do, although the codecs are pretty much set for awhile
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Thread Information