• 10-15-2009, 11:25 AM
    Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Looking for opinions from Concert video lovers
    I am looking for opinions from those who really enjoy concert videos and audio only on Blu-ray disc. This includes all genre of music, so should be very interesting to all music lovers.

A) If a site existed that reviewed only concert videos and audio only applications on Blu-ray disc, would you visit that site for its reviews?

B) What would you like to see on the site in terms of content.

Just curious to see what others think about this. I saw this question being asked elsewhere, and wanted to get opinions from this website.
  • 10-15-2009, 11:45 AM
    GMichael
    I'll give it a shot.

A) If a site existed that reviewed only concert videos and audio only applications on Blu-ray disc, would you visit that site for its reviews?

I would visit, but would take all reviews with a grain of salt. I don't agree with most reviews.

B) What would you like to see on the site in terms of content.

1) Quality of audio mix. (just the technical part of how well it was recorded & mixed. bit rates, DD or DTS etc.)
    2) Quality of video (Too light, too dark, blur, pixels, etc.)
    3) Statements on the style of music to expect. (prog, rock, heavy metal, soft jazz, etc)
    4) Statements on the style of video. (not sure how to classify this myself)
    5) Opinions of the music. (comparisons to other groups or videos)
    6) Opinions of the video. (see above)
    7) Conclusions
    8) Expected prices to pay and where to buy them.

That's off the top of my head. If I think of more, I'll be back.
  • 10-15-2009, 12:10 PM
    rob_a
    re
    I would love to see reviews on Blu-ray concert videos and audio.

A) I would visit that site and would hope for more than just blu-ray reviews. DVD-A and SACD, any hi resolution formats.

B) I would like to see a more in-depth brake down of the disc qualities, rather than just a cut and paste of what’s on the manufactures site. The same with the performance, a solid review with sound and video bites.
  • 10-26-2009, 12:10 PM
    edtyct
    For heaven's sake, Terrence, I honestly thought--lo, these many years ago--that I'd heard the last of you. I'm glad to find that I haven't, ensuring that I'll check the site from time to time to see what you have to say. Anyway, you raise a good question that deserves some thought. Are you thinking of starting such a site? Frankly, I'd like to see a whole lot more blu-ray music titles, let alone a site that discusses them. But a technical discussion of recording and mixing equipment procedures (which can be terrible), as well as an analysis of content by some sensitve soul, would certainly be welcome. Musical analysis by English majors, ax grinders, or would-be sociologists can be entertaining, but intelligent poets make the best reviewers.
  • 10-26-2009, 01:42 PM
    GMichael
    OMG! Is that really Ed? Holey test pattern Batman. Where the h.ll have you been? Your knowledge has been sorely missed.
  • 10-27-2009, 04:13 AM
    edtyct
    Hey, that's nice of you to say. I trust everyone's been doing well enough without the likes of me. I'll have a look around when I can. But I don't want to hijack the thread. To bring some semblance of relevance, I'll just say that Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scott's ain't too shabby on Blu-ray. Beck's style might be an acquired taste, but the caliber of the musicianship from top to bottom is never in doubt.
  • 11-09-2009, 06:33 PM
    Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Quote:

Originally Posted by edtyct
    For heaven's sake, Terrence, I honestly thought--lo, these many years ago--that I'd heard the last of you. I'm glad to find that I haven't, ensuring that I'll check the site from time to time to see what you have to say. Anyway, you raise a good question that deserves some thought. Are you thinking of starting such a site? Frankly, I'd like to see a whole lot more blu-ray music titles, let alone a site that discusses them. But a technical discussion of recording and mixing equipment procedures (which can be terrible), as well as an analysis of content by some sensitve soul, would certainly be welcome. Musical analysis by English majors, ax grinders, or would-be sociologists can be entertaining, but intelligent poets make the best reviewers.

Ed, holy moly roll a doly, where in the heck have you been Mister? I have been mulling around the idea. I was the music reviewer at Bluray.com, and the response I got was terrific. The problem with that site is there are so many movie reviews, the music reviews get swamped, and they are not on the front page very long. I kept hearing over and over the music reviews are not getting enough attention. I thought it would be cool to set up a music only site that emphasizes only music on bluray. The idea got alot of attention on AVS, but got very little attention here.

I am still in the planning stages, but in the new year, I may just go ahead and jump on this before somebody else does.

Good to see you hear, and you need to visit more often.