Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    i got it all hooked up and everything. it seems to a fantastic unit! much more refined than my sony, and it looks so stylish. i also like the setup options where you can set an auto-dimmer after a few seconds so you're not contantly bothered by numbers and text.

oh, and also for the record, it sounds exactly like the sony did with optical connections..... which is a good thing, but that helps prove that it will sound the same through digital.

One thing i really like is that i dont get the first 2 seconds of audio cut off when i change chapters in a movie. there is a pause, but its only like half a second now, which isnt bothersome.

oh, and also for the record, it sounds exactly like the sony did with optical connections..... which is a good thing, but that helps prove that it will sound the same through digital.

One thing i really like is that i dont get the first 2 seconds of audio cut off when i change chapters in a movie. there is a pause, but its only like half a second now, which isnt bothersome.

Forum Regular
    [QUOTE=bjornb17]oh, and also for the record, it sounds exactly like the sony did with optical connections..... which is a good thing, but that helps prove that it will sound the same through digital.

Are you sure you set your DVD setting so your DVD player calls the shots not the receiver?

[QUOTE=EdwardGein]
    Quote Originally Posted by bjornb17

Are you sure you set your DVD setting so your DVD player calls the shots not the receiver?
    how do you mean?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bjornb17
    how do you mean?
    On your DVD menu/setup under setup and Audio Adjustments (first audio box)do you have that on, On & do you have dynamic range at minimum You should have PCM at No Limit Digital Output Original You should also then go to the second audio box and put in whether your speakers are big or small, the distance & the DB's yo want them each on

If you've done all this and then have no noticed a difference on your sound quality with your Sony using a digital connection I'll be very surprised.

i went into the menu, and changing any settings didnt have any effect whatsoever on the sound. is that normal?

wait i would like to make a correction. when i set "digital mode" to PCM, it severly cuts back on bass output. when i leave it at "original", the bass sounds normal. Whats the reason for this? The rest of the settings dont seem to have any effect though.

EDIT: i looked at the user's manual here:
    http://manuals.harman.com/hk/Owner%27s%20Manual/DVD%2022%20(120V)%20OM%20FINAL%20Rev%206-7-04.pdf

and i set it up according to the instructions, and everything sounds great. I can't honestly say that it sounds different from my sony player though. However, i still like the HK player more
    Last edited by bjornb17; 05-27-2005 at 11:04 AM.

Forum Regular
    I'm going by my HK 31 DVD player Maybe your DVD 22instructions & set up, are slightly different. As long as you're happy with your purchase that is the main thing. I am totally surprised you are not noticing a difference in the sound even with an optical cable with your Sony. Also as an experiment put Audio Adjustments off. See if that is a difference. Maybe there could be a difference in sound between the HK 22 & 31 or maybe they are the same and you truly don't have a difference in sound between that and the Sony. The main thing is that you are aware of your DVD set up and have that set up (on the 31 there are 2 audio boxes and one a video box) done to your requirements.

hey edward, just after my last post, i decided to try out my elton john "ephesus" solo concert dvd, and played the 2 most bass-heavy tracks, "someone saved my life tonight" and "philedelphia freedom" and there IS a difference. First i ignored it because i was trying to not to be a victim of the placebo affect, but one thing is so obviously different, that I can't ignore it.

on these two specific tracks on my sony dvd player, the bass would have sort of a 'vibrating' sound, i guess is the term i can use to describe it, but the bass notes didnt sound like solid tones, but instead, more like... well i cant figure out the words for it.

but with this player, the bass notes seem continuous and smoother, without the "vibrating" bass sound from the sony player. i dont know if this can be accredited to the limitless PCM, which seems to be the only difference from the sony player, but I'm liking what im hearing.

some of you might think im crazy (and maybe i am), but i'll keep testing out different discs to see if i continue to notice this.

Forum Regular

Looks like Herson was Right

I think Hershon was mainly referring to CD's as opposed to DVD's but like the great man, I noticed a difference in both.

well i havent tried CDs, i have a separate player coming from UPS tonight for that

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardGein
    I'm going by my HK 31 DVD player Maybe your DVD 22instructions & set up, are slightly different. As long as you're happy with your purchase that is the main thing. I am totally surprised you are not noticing a difference in the sound even with an optical cable with your Sony.
    He's not noticing a difference in the sound with optical because there will BE no difference in sound with the optical.

Optical bypasses all the internal components of the player and leaves the decoding of the raw unprocessed digital signal up to the receiver.

I think Hershon was mainly referring to CD's as opposed to DVD's but like the great man, I noticed a difference in both.
    Tee hee..yeah right Hers...I mean Edward

well, to tell you the truth now, i think the optical jack on the dvd22 sounds the same as on the sony (turns out it just sounded different where i was listening from)

i knew the placebo affect would make me look stupid

however, with the FL8385, the sound through the analog jacks is great. It plays the CDs which i have that are in decent condition perfectly. I struggles on my scratched up CDs, but thats my fault. I should invest in new ones

Forum Regular
    I take it from what I can understand that you are playing CD's through a CD player and not on your HK DVD player. If that is correct, try making 2 CDRs of an album you like and play them track by track on the CD player and the HK. I recommend you listen to the HK via Optical. Let us know if you notice a difference or not.

well the sound with the CDs through optical on the dvd22 is just the same as the sony. it also sounds the same as through coaxial on the cd player. however, the sound with the CDs is a slight bit better with the analog jacks on the cd player (better DACs it seems).

optcial and coaxial connections should sound the same, since they are both just digital transports. the only thing that would change the sound would be whether you use analog or digital.

bjornb17 has pretty much got it down.

Edward 'Hershon' Gein is still clueless about digital transports.

is that hershon? why isnt he on his other s/n? i believe it could be hershon because he was the only person nice enough to respond to my HK posts on most occasions

Yes, that has to be him. He's the only person that believes that 10 different players will sound 10 different ways using the same digital connection, even though it's been explained at least 32 times why that's impossible.

Forum Regular

And N Abstenia Denies What A Published Writer Says & I'm Not Hershon, Sorry!

I read a post that is taken straight from an article from a magazine from a more knowledgeable person than most of the people on this board who apparently NAbstentia wishes to dismiss as well and his name is not Hershon either. I guess we should just rename this Board ask NAbstentia for he knows all.

something is fishy here

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    What reciever are you running your 22 though?
    Look & Listen

Hk Avr130

I read a post that is taken straight from an article from a magazine from a more knowledgeable person than most of the people on this board .
    "I read it on the internet so it must be true!"

LOL!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information