Forum Regular

Pro audio for home system?

Hi everyone... 1st post!

I have been thinking of putting together a home system using pro-audio components. I have played in a band and have got used to the gear. With pro gear there is like zero hype, forget the fancy full-page ads, this stuff is taylored to musicians. Also I like the directivity and sound of compression drivers from pro-audio speakers. I had a pair of 15" 2 way Peavey Impulse 500's set up in my listening room for a while, but then ran out of $$ and sold them! So, back in business again.

This is what I am thinking: Somebody's 7.1 receiver. Somebody's pair of smaller size pro speakers, like EV's 2x10" or something. A QSC 1kw power amp and 18" commericial bandpass sub woofer. Then, some basic surround speakers to carry the rest of it. I would do the equivalent of "home" system components but have not found too much to my liking. I don't like the "Bose" sound - accurate I think, but too "soft" "muted" "muffled" "spacious" (or whatever).

I don't know if anyone knows what I am talking about like the technology behind "compression" drivers and why when you go to a concert or DJ event this is what they are using, not dome tweeters or ribbon, or whatever.

My goal is simply to replicate a live environment, I mean chest-pounding bass. I had a 15" Klipsch powered sub 240 watts cont.I think (home duty type) not bad, not bad, but not the level of solid thump I am looking to acheive. (I live out in the country - hahah!)

So this is what I am thinking. Any opinions are welcome!

If you think "Blose" sound is accurate you should go somewhere and listen to some decent speakers. Bose speakers are simply crappy. Compression drivers piezelectric tweeters and a lot of other things in "pro" speakers are there because they are rugged and loud. They are not known for sounding good. A lot of pro amps are fan cooled. Those fans are audible and annoying in home use.
    I would suggest you go somewhere and listen to some good home speakers and associated gear. If your standard for home speakers is "Blose" you are in for a real surprise. I used to make my living as a bass player. I have a Sunn Colosseum, Fender Bassman (brown), Traynor YBA3 and Ampeg B-15 sitting in my basement and have spent lots of time listening to live sound from both sides of the stage. So, I have some knowledge of "pro" and PA speakers. PA or sound reinforcement type speakers would never be my choice for listening at home.
    More than likely there will be many other voices here giving you the 411 on "Blose" and the unsuitability of PA speakers for home sound reproduction.

PS
    Welcome aboard. Sorry to come across so abrupt. Your post will get lots of responses. Bose speakers are not very popular with music lovers (audiophiles). There is a guy on the Stereophile forum (www.stereophile.com) named DUP. You should talk to him. He is into extremely loud volumes. You know, the live at home stuff. He is a friend of Matt Oree and tries to recreate Matt's live sound at home.
    PPS
    There are some very technically competent people here.
    Last edited by JoeE SP9; 07-27-2006 at 05:13 PM.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular
    No prob thanks for the welcome. No I was trying to be nice, if you "read between the lines" I don't like the sound of Bose no matter what. I am a bass player: Fender Zone 4 string. Not in a band now, but yes have been around a lot of pro gear and like say for example I think maybe on of the most popular cabs around is like Peavey SP2's, sound loud, but crappy, etc. I agree, but there are some very good pro speakers.

Anyway, I am mostly concerned with good speakers. I can find an amp, DVD, etc. Two GOOD front speakers please! That don't break up at decent SPL's, have some efficiency, shimmering presence. Not worried about bass because will get some kind of sub. Not worried about amp fans. I have 6 fans in my computer: Turn up sound, no more fan noise hahah!

So, recommendations please for 2 nice speakers for maybe $600 - $800 per pair if I can do it for that. I will spend more if I have to. Once I get some ideas, I will head to the listening rooms and give everything a good test. The guy at one of the local stores was in a band, but that really doesn't mean that much because many players have no sense for pre-recorded stuff anyway. The sound guy (girl) might (I have done that a lot too)! Opinions please

My suggestion would be go to a local mid-fi or high end dealer, not Best Buy or Circuit City. Take your own music with you. Listen to what they have even if it's way out of your price range. That way you can get an idea just how good things can sound.
    My own recommendations for speakers really don't apply here as my equipment list shows. Perhaps some of the other contributors can be more helpful in this area. The best advice I can give is buy nothing you haven't heard. By the way I play a pre CBS Fender Precision
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

IMNSHO, I've found that speakers designed for sound reinforcement in large areas tend to be "overpowering" in certain frequency ranges when used home environments but, as usual, YMMV depending on one's preferences.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    IMNSHO, I've found that speakers designed for sound reinforcement in large areas tend to be "overpowering" in certain frequency ranges when used home environments but, as usual, YMMV depending on one's preferences.
    I totally agree. It's mostly because of the projection angle from the large horns - way too focused for small rooms. I just want to "hear" everything - crisply, whether it's Yanni, loud rock, or whatever!

Anybody have any suggestions on speaker brands before I go shopping? Curious.

Quote Originally Posted by zoltar
    Hi everyone... 1st post!

I have been thinking of putting together a home system using pro-audio components. I have played in a band and have got used to the gear. With pro gear there is like zero hype, forget the fancy full-page ads, this stuff is taylored to musicians. Also I like the directivity and sound of compression drivers from pro-audio speakers. I had a pair of 15" 2 way Peavey Impulse 500's set up in my listening room for a while, but then ran out of $$ and sold them! So, back in business again.

This is what I am thinking: Somebody's 7.1 receiver. Somebody's pair of smaller size pro speakers, like EV's 2x10" or something. A QSC 1kw power amp and 18" commericial bandpass sub woofer. Then, some basic surround speakers to carry the rest of it. I would do the equivalent of "home" system components but have not found too much to my liking. I don't like the "Bose" sound - accurate I think, but too "soft" "muted" "muffled" "spacious" (or whatever).

I don't know if anyone knows what I am talking about like the technology behind "compression" drivers and why when you go to a concert or DJ event this is what they are using, not dome tweeters or ribbon, or whatever.

My goal is simply to replicate a live environment, I mean chest-pounding bass. I had a 15" Klipsch powered sub 240 watts cont.I think (home duty type) not bad, not bad, but not the level of solid thump I am looking to acheive. (I live out in the country - hahah!)

So this is what I am thinking. Any opinions are welcome!
    Welcome to the board.
    I myself prefer prosound equipment but then I like it loud.
    Not all of the equipment in my chain is pro gear but for the most part it is.
    You can see some of my stuff here:
    http://gallery.audioreview.com/showg...&ppuser=239881
    have fun and good luck.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

I just don't even wanna touch this one.

Forum Regular
    -----
    Last edited by zoltar; 07-29-2006 at 08:09 AM.

Forum Regular
    -----
    Last edited by zoltar; 07-29-2006 at 08:09 AM.

I just made sure the amp went up to eleven.

I straddle both areas. I did sound reinforcement work for our church (seats 1200) which also was a choice venue for many contemporary Christian acts (Annointed, Newsong, Cherie Keaggie, etc..) and the speakers of choice were EAW, with 10,000 watts of Crown power and an A &H 4800 before them. Also, some ewq and reverb to spice up the mix.

But, I wouldn't like them in the home. Too forward. For home, I preferred Maggie 1.6's with a sub. A much more realistic, balanced and natural sound, IMNSHO.

...different strokes for different folks/venues.
    Last edited by markw; 07-29-2006 at 01:11 PM.

Suspended
    You are correct that some compression drivers sound very good. When I first started getting into putting a nice system together, way back when, I almost bought a pair of Electro-Voice 1503's. A pair of 15" 2-ways with a large compression driver. My wife had a problem with carpeted boxes in the living room. Peavey may have some upper end stuff that is alright, but I haven't heard it. For the most part my opinion of Peavey is that it is affordable and does an alright job but in no way compares to Electro-Voice or other high performance pro audio. And if you can afford EV then you might as well buy some good home gear. Pro speakers are generally limited in frequency response, meaning they don't play low bass, usually not much below 60 Hz and rolls off pretty much over 16k or so on highs. The chest pounding bass is hard hitting mid-bass. Most pro audio amps are made to play loud but aren't as clean as good home amps. But you were planning on going with a home amp.

For hard hitting, tight, bass, you want to find an amp that is a true high current design. When I go into Guitar Center I see some smaller studio monitor pro speakers but I don't know how they sound. Klipsch tries to immulate pro sound in a home speaker but in my opinion they do a terrible job and cost out the butt for what you get. You will notice when listening to good home speakers that they will do good bass using smaller drivers. This was hard for me to accept but Dynaudio made me a believer. The best bass I've ever heard and mostly only 6" bass drivers.

My suggestion would be to listen to some home speakers to see if any appeal to you. If not, check out the pro. If you use a home sub it may fill in the low frequencies that the pro speakers won't cover. Pro speakers will still have a disadvantage to home speakers with disspersion. To my ears, as good as a compression driver may be it still won't have the disspersion of a home speaker. Home speakers are designed to reproduce a good sound stage in your hme listening room. Pro speakers are designed to project sound a far distance. If you are single or a couple and you can pick just one certain "sweet spot" you can still make small pro monitors work in your home.

You didn't say what your budget was. You may want to check out Adcom. They have a Home theater preamp around $1,600.00. You can get a multi-channel amp for center and surrounds and then a 200x2 for the 2 main L/R. I suggest Adcom because they offer good mid-fi sound quality and their amps are high current but have a less controlled bass response, Their bass sound is thicker or heavier than some amps. I found they have a nice bass hump that goes well with rock and pop music. If this is way more than what you want to spend and you have to go with a receiver, give Onkyo a listen. When you do, compare them to others there. You will find Onkyo has a slam that the others can't match. If you can find them in your area, give Paradigm a listen. They are fairly efficient and have a lively sound to me.

I would not recommend tubes if you are going to do home theater, but some tube gear can give you the micro and macro dynamics of live music that transistors seem to lose. Tubes can do good bass but still quite can't reach the control factor of transistors. For 2 channel listening you can buy tube integrated amps reasonable.

As in all things there are exceptions, so I'm speaking above in generalizations and what I've suggested is based on my experiences.

Welcome, and hope your search is a blast.

Forum Regular
    Bose definitely are not very good speakers.

Ive looked at some pro stuff int he past but quite quickly turned away from them for home audio/theater for these reasons:

- Pro equipment sounds great in a gymnasium or huge warehouse, dance club, etc. They can have very high sound pressure levels which allow you to hear them from a great distance, but they lack any type of decency at ranges which you would find in a family room. It will all become meshed into chip suey.

- Much of the equipment used on the "other side" of the stage has a flat sound. We all like different things about our music, but the pro equipment will generally give a less colorful more blunt but flat response lacking a rich feeling or scrutinizing detail that youll find with home audio.

- Pro stuff can be quite expensive.

- By most contemporary standards, pro stuff isnt exactly aesthetically pleasing, if thats a worry for you. Even if you like the sound of a compression driver, they look like crap.

Quote Originally Posted by zoltar
    . Two GOOD front speakers please! That don't break up at decent SPL's, have some efficiency, shimmering presence. Not worried about bass because will get some kind of sub.
    You want Klipsch, particularly something from their Heritage line. Check audiogon.com and see if there are any Forte's, La Scala's, or if you're lucky...the mighty Klipschorn (not at your price point tho). Horn loaded tweeters for the "shimmering presence" you prefer, and efficient as all get-out. Rock the Casbah!

Suspended
    I agree with Topspeed, Klipsch would work good you, especially the Heritage line. You may also want to look at VMPS. I have Klipsch Kg4 mains (probably too tame for you) RS-3 surrounds and both KV3 and KLF-C7 centers (interchangable). I love the sound of the Kg4s at any level. They have good low-end, but I still use an ACI Saturn 2-12" sub. You would do well going with Fortes, LaScalas, Chorus' or Klipschorns. All great rock-n-roll speakers.
    I also have Legacy Focus in my main system. Each speaker contains 3-12" woofers, 2-7" mid-woofers, 1.25" mid-range and 4" ribbon tweeter. They're are very efficient (94db/w/m) with excellent non-boomy bass and great clarity. Amp recommendations are from 10-500 watts. They won't make your ears bleed like pro gear, but then again they won't make your ears bleed like pro gear. You'd like them as well, but may be a bit pricey.
    In my garage I have one "Voice of the Theater" speaker which came out of a local movie theater when it closed. It has a 15" folded horn bass cabinet with a 12 cell top-mounted horn. The owner wanted to get rid of it and provided the tube amp to go with it. I'll use it outside while working in the yard. It's also very efficient and great for projecting over a large area, but I'd never try to use it in my listening room. Welcome Zoltar (Is the name from Space Ghost?)

Thread Information